• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

How come you joined "The Local"?

Curiosity phase 2

byke
post 6.Sep.2012, 03:56 PM
Post #16

@Lostaussie , where you off to? Anywhere nice?
Go to the top of the page
+
Opalnera
post 6.Sep.2012, 05:00 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (SimonDMontfort @ 6.Sep.2012, 07:37 AM) *
I joined about 5 years after coming to live in Sweden permanently. I thought that this is the only real site that caters for (primarily) English speaking ex-pats in Sweden.Hav ... (show full quote)

The first 6 months I was really depressed and I don't think the bitching and moaning on here really helped much. All the doom and gloom I thought my life was over forever. But to be honest things have been pretty good for me in Sweden so far...although far from easy. I had the initial nightmares like everyone else, opening bank accounts, learning a new language, getting a job. But I got a job and a bank account in less than 2 months and the language - well that's a work in progress but I'm getting there. This forum was helpful in quite a lot of things and there are posters here who like living in Sweden and aren't depressed douchebags but sadly the vast majority who have the time to post are complainers with no jobs or friends to occupy their time that really take away from it's purpose. But I just wanted to give props to the people who do add to the forum in a positive way and really do help.
+
Elf_Moon
post 6.Sep.2012, 06:53 PM
Post #18

I joined yesterday and I found this site when looking for information about taxes in Sweden and how it all works.

I arrived here through google and I read posts about how apparently 'bad' Sweden is and it was a face palm moment- those people really don't seem to live in the real world. Like, not finding work because you don't know the language is not unique to Sweden! It really isn't the fault of the entire country!

So yes, I joined to comment on those posts and sometimes relay my own experiences to people who need my help smile.gif I like to read alot about everything I am a part of so I've come across many interesting facts as I've progressed from newly arrived in Sweden, to immensely confused, to employed and contented.

Moving to sweden has been smooth, getting what I need has been smooth, finding work has been smooth, I love this country!
+
Garry Jones
post 6.Sep.2012, 07:28 PM
Post #19

As much as I like living in Sweden I find many comments on the The Local interesting. There are many aspects of Swedish life that I adapt to but there are some things I find it hard to accept.

<rant>
Such as... bad manners in bars, inability to stand in an orderly queue at bus stops, common rudeness in public when "Please", "Thank you", "I'm sorry" and "Excuse me" tend not to exist. Everytime I brought such gripes up with Swedes I received the standard reply "Well move home if you don't like it".
</rant>

On "The Local" I found solace and understanding. A bunch of people who confirmed my thoughts and observations but who, like me, would never want to go back to blighty.

I suppose "The Local" has become our outlet to be able to preach and sound off to the converted. That we are not wrong or indifferent in our remote Swedish communities but that we can get a bit of a buzz when we see that many others in our situation are peeved off by the same things. Trivual in their way but haven't their been more divorces over toothpaste lids/toilet seats than love affairs?

I am always reminded of the following lyrics from ELO's 1981 hit "Is this the way life's meant to be?".

"
Well, I came a long way to be here today
And I left you so long on this avenue
And here I stand in the strangest land
Not knowing what to say or do
As I gaze around at these strangers in town
I guess the only stranger is me
As I wander around this wreck of a town
Where people never speak aloud
With it's ivory towers and it's plastic flowers
I wish I was back in 1981

And I wonder (oh, I wonder)
Yes, I wonder (yes, I wonder)
Is this the way lifes meant to be?
"

Seeing as my last UK address was "Priory AVENUE" and I first come to Sweden in 1981 these words really hit home...

But yes, maybe more of us should think about the sentiments in "As I gaze around at these strangers in town, I guess the only stranger is me" ?
+
Rod Munch
post 6.Sep.2012, 10:49 PM
Post #20

I joined to see how I might be able to get my Palestinian roommate deported after he betrayed the trust of our 82-year old landlady by stealing 6000 SEK per month from her. She trusted him to handle her financials. Predictably for this forum, I was called a, "racist" and received no help from anyone.
+
Svensksmith
post 6.Sep.2012, 11:48 PM
Post #21

I joined a few years ago because I used to live in Sweden and wanted to see what was going on. Now I post to amuse myself and try to crack wise. Hope I bring the occasional smile to someone...
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Sep.2012, 01:08 AM
Post #22

sometimes! laugh.gif
+
Lostaussie
post 7.Sep.2012, 10:25 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (byke @ 6.Sep.2012, 04:56 PM) *
@Lostaussie , where you off to? Anywhere nice?

Off to Villach in Austria, not as far south as I would really like but then... :-)
+
Jamtjim
post 7.Sep.2012, 10:40 AM
Post #24

Predictably for this forum, I was called a, "racist" and received no help from anyone.

No no Rob. You are frequently called "racist" because you are racist and persist in making racist comments. Predictably for this forum as a racist espousing racist sentiments you received no help but yet remain determined to spout your racism despite no one wanting to read it...

Is that enough mention of racism related words for you?
+
dave.smith
post 7.Sep.2012, 11:16 AM
Post #25

The thing is, Rod, you could have just stated that your former flat mate ran off with the 82 year old landlady's money, and certainly people would have been sympathetic and congratulated you on trying to help. But instead, what you did was point out the offender's nationality, which undoubtedly gave the whole thread a trollish feel.

How can you possibly expect anything but a negative response to something like that? Obviously it's terrible for the 82 year old landlady to be robbed, but whether by an ethnic Swede or an immigrant shouldn't make a difference... Unless you have racist views - do you?

Even when I got rudely screamed at by a muslim in the UK, I never blamed the whole muslim faith, just that one individual. Always a few rotten apples in every container.

In the same way, you should realize that being a palestinian wasn't what caused this guy to rob - he robbed and happened to also be a palestinian. If I'm missing something I'd love to hear it.
+
Kalyissa
post 7.Sep.2012, 11:52 AM
Post #26

I joined when I was first looking at moving here, I googled Brits in Sweden and this was pointed out.
+
Shibumi
post 7.Sep.2012, 02:14 PM
Post #27

I found out about The Local via their news headlines/advertising on the info screens in the Arlanda Express.
+
cogito
post 7.Sep.2012, 04:35 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (SimonDMontfort @ 6.Sep.2012, 07:37 AM) *
Pity it sometimes feels so ‘tense’ though - and even sarcasm-laden.

SimonD.
We are trapped in a country known for earnest dullness. Sarcasm is a rare and precious commodity. I think we should liberate sarcasm and lighten up.. For those who disagree…have a nice day. (Do i need to add the /sarc tag?)
+
Kn33grow
post 7.Sep.2012, 05:19 PM
Post #29

My friend told me about it in 2009 but i did join recently and ... you know the rest tongue.gif
+
Garry Jones
post 8.Sep.2012, 12:55 AM
Post #30

I remember there being many people on this site before more now I wonder where they are.

As I have only been on here since 2005 I still feel quite new to the site, but then again everything is relative I sent my first email in 79, posted to "IBM Knowledge base" in 1980 when I became the first person on record to identify a year 2000 problem with computers. Consquently "a long time ago" on the Internet is the 80's and 2005 was just a few bytes ago.

Still, anyway just wondered, anyone who joined before me still around?
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN