• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

How come you joined "The Local"?

Curiosity phase 2

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 8.Sep.2012, 01:06 AM
Post #31

I too wanted to find the first joiner and spent a lot of time on it...then I forgot who it was...but the database here is hard to negotiate...what I found was the first joiner never posted as did a lot of others...but hey 2005 was the beginning of posters...if I can say that...then the fun started!...Or not! laugh.gif

P/S: Hey, LOCAL update that database!

This guy got my vote!

Mzungu

And then...who wants to know those who only read the news and did not post!
Go to the top of the page
+
dgd
post 8.Sep.2012, 01:56 PM
Post #32

Like many others I joined for the usual reasons - starting up a new life in Sweden, finding out about work, tax, and benefits etc. Most forum replies are very helpful, but there is an prissy undercurrent of responses (seeming from fellow English) which just enrage and annoy. Personally, I feel that most people on here to ask reasonable questions (and get helpful answers), but like any other such forums there are many who will seek to inflict their views and opinions on others. Individuals should be able to reflect honestly on the good and bad things about living in Sweden without being patronised or lectured.
+
Rod Munch
post 8.Sep.2012, 07:30 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Jamtjim @ 7.Sep.2012, 10:40 AM) *
No no Rob. You are frequently called "racist" because you are racist and persist in making racist comments. Predictably for this forum as a racist espousing racist s ... (show full quote)

You said the word, "racist" about as many times as has come to be expected of you. Don't actually address the issue, just call the person a "racist" and tuck tail. In case you didn't notice, an old woman was being robbed of money for months by this guy! Wake the f up.
+
Jamtjim
post 8.Sep.2012, 11:02 PM
Post #34

The guy robbing a woman of her money for months is an arsehole regardless of his ethnicity. Only you brought the irrelevant issue of his race into the discussion.

Wake the, as you put it, f up.
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Sep.2012, 09:24 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Rod Munch @ 8.Sep.2012, 08:30 PM) *
You said the word, "racist" about as many times as has come to be expected of you. Don't actually address the issue, just call the person a "racist" an ... (show full quote)

By emphasising his nationality, you seem to be claiming that the guy was a thief because he is Palestinian and if he was White Anglo Saxon he would not of stolen the money. therefore all Palestinians are thieves and all White Anglo Saxons are pure as the driven snow laugh.gif
+
Fishtank
post 10.Sep.2012, 11:01 AM
Post #36

Was reading TL in student days since 2004 but joined it finally after sorting out masters degree, job and roof over head. TLers have always been helpful folks and got great insights on many things.

Also met few very intresting and nice people here and have met them in person too.

Now where is the Team Goteborg... ??? Any meetup plans???
+
John.Smith
post 10.Sep.2012, 12:18 PM
Post #37

I joined because I am Palestinian.
+
Abe L
post 10.Sep.2012, 12:54 PM
Post #38

Simple, every relevant google search for sorting out matters in Sweden gets you to end up here. Mostly because information in English from official Swedish sources is either non-existant, incomprehensible, or seems so far away from reality that you want a confirmation.
+
Fishtank
post 10.Sep.2012, 12:59 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 10.Sep.2012, 01:18 PM) *
I joined because I am Palestinian.

Now John that is not a qualifying criteria to join TL. You must nick some stuff from someone before you get a wild card entry over here.

Please see to it that you match the criteria. Thank you for your consideration.
+
entry
post 10.Sep.2012, 01:08 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Fishtank @ 10.Sep.2012, 12:01 PM) *
Was reading TL in student days since 2004 but joined it finally after sorting out masters degree, job and roof over head. TLers have always been helpful folks and got great in ... (show full quote)

Hey, I was in town yesterday... -Paul smile.gif
+
John.Smith
post 10.Sep.2012, 01:27 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Fishtank @ 10.Sep.2012, 01:59 PM) *
Now John that is not a qualifying criteria to join TL. You must nick some stuff from someone before you get a wild card entry over here. Please see to it that you match the cr ... (show full quote)

Racist!

smile.gif
+
Fishtank
post 10.Sep.2012, 02:12 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (entry @ 10.Sep.2012, 02:08 PM) *
Hey, I was in town yesterday... -Paul smile.gif

Oops.. I was out of town... May be we should plan something sometime soon before snow hits lovely Da Borg...

Anyway how are you all doing up there in Partille??

Have you been travelling during summer or??

Racist ... me... ???
Anyway, John get busy to qualify please, Thank you. See I am polite and nice guy... smile.gif Lycka till... !!!
*Shakes head in disbelief ... hehehheheeee
+
entry
post 10.Sep.2012, 04:54 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Fishtank @ 10.Sep.2012, 03:12 PM) *
Oops.. I was out of town... May be we should plan something sometime soon before snow hits lovely Da Borg... Anyway how are you all doing up there in Partille?? Have you been ... (show full quote)

We have been home this summer, no travel. Maria has a reunion this coming weekend so I(we) will give you a call on the phone or get you on IM sometime next week. Looking forward to seeing you again. -Paul
+
djmarko
post 11.Sep.2012, 07:43 AM
Post #44

I guess i joined in 2007 to share information about living in sweden, getting advice, get other perspective, started out well but occasionally this forum gets hijacked by lowlifes, people with low self esteem keen to demonstrate some false importance, also extremist, just thought it was a place where we can all share ideas considering most of us here are not Swedish!!
+
byke
post 11.Sep.2012, 07:53 AM
Post #45

QUOTE (djmarko @ 11.Sep.2012, 08:43 AM) *
just thought it was a place where we can all share ideas considering most of us here are not Swedish!!

Just for the record, I think you may find that some of the most prolific posters on here at the moment are actually 100% Swedish.
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options