• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Processing of dissolution or annulment

And how much will it cost

tezlin
post 26.Sep.2012, 11:25 AM
Post #1

hi!
anyone one here knows how much will it cost for the processing of dissolution and what are the things needed? me and my partner got married last year(civil wedding). after 5 months of staying with her,she kept on lying even on single things until i discovered that she is having a relationship with other man through her cellphone. maybe i can use this as an excuse.
thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
John.Smith
post 26.Sep.2012, 11:32 AM
Post #2

LOL!
Sorry for your troubles and all but that made me laugh smile.gif

C'mon, tell us the whole truth. I suspect one or more of the following;

1. She is a mail order bride.
2. Arranged marriage
3. Marriage for residency/citizenship
4. Marriage for money.

It does not need to be expensive for a divorce here in Sweden but you will need to tell us if you got married in Sweden, your citizenship and residency status etc etc..
Sounds to me like you didn't know her all too well before the big day 5 months ago smile.gif
+
Shibumi
post 26.Sep.2012, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Do you mean you want a divorce? That's different from an annulment AFAIK.
+
John.Smith
post 26.Sep.2012, 11:41 AM
Post #4

In Catholicism an Annulment can only be performed so long as the marriage has not been consummated and/or it was an illegal marriage i.e. more than one spouse etc.

Depends on the religion... no idea of the legal/civil status in that regards. The OP did state that it was a civil marriage --> I assume an annulment is null and void in this case.

Anyhow, I am quite sure he is pulling our collective legs wink.gif
+
Puffin
post 26.Sep.2012, 11:56 AM
Post #5

If you are a married couple with no children looking for divorce and you can agree the asset division - then the process is simple and there is a step by step guide on what so do on the Web page for the Swedish court system (Sveriges Domstolar) - the court filing cost is 450kr
http://www.domstol.se/Funktioner/English/M...Family/Divorce/

If you have joint children then there is a compuslory waiting period before you can file and I think in some you need an appointment with a family adviser (kommun familjrådgivare) to discuss custody arrangements and if you cannot agree then lawyers will need to be involved

If you are looking for a Catholic anulment then this is possible even if the marriage has been consumated if you fulfil the church's preconditions- You will need to talk to your priest and open a case - and then the priest will conduct the case and interview the witnesses etc - it can be a long process to get a Catholic anulment - 2-3 years
+
Puffin
post 26.Sep.2012, 11:58 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 26.Sep.2012, 12:41 PM) *
In Catholicism an Annulment can only be performed so long as the marriage has not been consummated and/or it was an illegal marriage i.e. more than one spouse etc.

This is not acurate. The Catholic grounds are actually wider than usually presumed

I was once a witness in a Catholic anulment case - which was granted despite the couple having a 5 year old child
+
John.Smith
post 26.Sep.2012, 12:00 PM
Post #7

Surely the Swedish divorce depends on the residency status of the couple? If the OP is here on a working/student visa then he/they would have to do the divorce in their home country?

Also, OP does not specifiy if his partner agrees to a divorce?

QUOTE (Puffin @ 26.Sep.2012, 12:56 PM) *
If you are a married couple with no children looking for divorce and you can agree the asset division - then the process is simple and there is a step by step guide on what so ... (show full quote)
+
Puffin
post 26.Sep.2012, 12:02 PM
Post #8

If it was a civil marriage then you may not even need a religious anulment as I didn't think that the Catholic church recognised civil marriages in all countries
+
tezlin
post 26.Sep.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #9

John.Smith-- I worked and live in switzerland before i came here so the answer to your questions are None of the above.. anyway thank you guys for the reply.. thanks Puffin for the link. really appreciate it smile.gif
+
tezlin
post 26.Sep.2012, 12:12 PM
Post #10

yeap! its a civil wedding thats why im asking for the procedure of processing dissolution
+
Puffin
post 26.Sep.2012, 12:18 PM
Post #11

see my post above for the Swedish process
+
Yorkshireman
post 26.Sep.2012, 10:17 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 26.Sep.2012, 11:41 AM) *

Not so. If You are Catholic, and Your partner was not, and the marriage does not take place in a Catholic Church, and You didn't seek the permission/approval from a Catholic Bishop. Then, as far as the Catholic Chiurch is concerned it doesn't matter if it is civil or not ... You are considered un-married. Regardless of whether there are children or not, an annulment may not even be required. Sometimes You need to write to explain, and/or visit the local Catholic Church to receive an annulment. biggrin.gif

OP, follow the link @Puffin gave, download a form from the internet, fill it in ... get from Skatteverket personbevis for divorce (order one for Your partner too ... tell Her ... If your aprtner does not sign the divorce paper before you send it to the court, you can send it anyway.

They will send a copy to Her also, once they receive it.

Now, the important part... if there are children involved there is a long cooling-off period before the divorce is final, minimum 6 months->12 months. Otherise the cooling-off period is shorter.

There is no need for family therapy.

If there are kids involved, custody is automatically 50/50, however that can be contested on the application form. You would need to mediate if cannot agree.

Once the cooling-off period is over, you need to inform the court that you wish to finalise the divorce ... if You do not, then it is automatically assumed You continue as married. To inform the court, you can actually just email them smile.gif

NOTE ... BIG NOTE biggrin.gif ... The date the court receives the initial application is the date that assets are counted as being within the marriage, anything from that date to finalisation is NOT. Reasoning behind this is that it prevents 1 partner from spending or removing assets once they know the other has applied for divorce, even though it isn't final until after the cooling-off period.

During the cooling off, you still have the same responsibilities with join care for home etc... But anything else You earn, buy etc... is YOURS, not part of the joint property. eg. If you intend to move, you could buy an apartment with your money, and it cannot be included in the division of assets once the divorce is final.
+
JulieLou40
post 26.Sep.2012, 10:32 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 26.Sep.2012, 11:00 AM) *
Surely the Swedish divorce depends on the residency status of the couple? If the OP is here on a working/student visa then he/they would have to do the divorce in their home country?

Not necessarily. When I studied law, I found that you can normally do the divorce in the country where you are habitually resident. Which in this case is Sweden.
+
olga118
post 26.Sep.2012, 10:32 PM
Post #14

Sometimes You need to write to explain, and/or visit the local Catholic Church to receive an annulment.

An annulment in the Catholic church can be granted for many different reasons regardless of whether it was consummated or not.

You absolutely need to confer with the Catholic church if you were married in it and priest can not grant an annulment, it is not a short process and it has absolutely nothing to do with the civil process of annulment. It is strictly sacramental.
+
Puffin
post 27.Sep.2012, 09:38 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (olga118 @ 26.Sep.2012, 11:32 PM) *
You absolutely need to confer with the Catholic church if you were married in it and priest can not grant an annulment, it is not a short process and it has absolutely nothing ... (show full quote)

If you read the OP you will see that it was a Civil Marriage (not a church marriage) therefore I don't think that there will be a need for an ecclesiatical anulmment

The civil divorce process does not actually anul a marriage as the religious process does - a civil divorce does not say that the marriage defacto never took place - only that it has ended
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se