• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Are Canadians the most friendly people on earth?

Comparing them with Swedes

Hisingen
post 7.Oct.2012, 12:29 PM
Post #16

There are also the French Canadians - - - - -
Go to the top of the page
+
SergioSver
post 9.Oct.2012, 05:01 PM
Post #17

In Canada there are troubled areas just like in Sweden. But just because people don`t know about North Central Regina, West Side Saskatoon, North End Winnipeg, North End Edmonton and Downtown East Side Vancouver it doesn`t mean they don`t exist.

I did not say that Canada did not have its own problems. Certainly it has some problems with occasional riots as well as some unsafe areas in the cities.

However, in my opinion, there is less segregation on ethnic line in Canadian cities than in Sweden.

In Tensta or Rinkeby you would see that all generations live in these areas, whereas in Canada mostly old people and teenagers live there, you would not see so many 20 or 30 or 40 years old people living in segregated areas of Canadian cities. 20 and 30 year old immigrants are mostly integrated into Canadian society and live side by side with middle class Canadians.

Canadian immigrants tend to see themselves as assimilated Canadians, not as disgruntled migrants. Canadian immigrants, like many Canadians attach themselves to Canadian values.

Given the fact that Canada has one of the most liberal immigration policies in the world – any person from Stockholm to Buenos Aires can apply to Canadian embassy to get immigration visa-I think that it does much better job in integrating and assimilating immigrants.

As one of the American sociologist stated after visiting Rinkeby

Who says that there isn't class in a social democracy! Swedish people will swear up and down they don't have "class" because they have a social democracy - well I think Pierre Bourdieu wins this war - there is definitely class and I could feel it finally after spending a day in Rinkeby talking to residents.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/triciawang/se...ith/2851387385/
+
Migga
post 10.Oct.2012, 11:48 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (SergioSver @ 9.Oct.2012, 05:01 PM) *
Canadian immigrants tend to see themselves as assimilated Canadians, not as disgruntled migrants. Canadian immigrants, like many Canadians attach themselves to Canadian values.

It will be a difficult task to prove what country has the best integration, some claim that Sweden has the best opportunities for integration;
http://www.mipex.eu/sweden

But let`s say that Canada is better or faster at integrating immigrants. What`s the reason?

Is it because the government in Canada is better at integration or is it because the immigrants coming to Canada is more able to integrate then the immigrants coming to Sweden? Why so?

On who lies the main responsibility to make the integration a reality? The government or the immigrant?

In 2011 there were 146,380 asylum seekers for Sweden while the figures for Canada was 147,000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee

The thing is that Canada has 35 millions living in the country while Sweden only has 9,5 millions. Even though Sweden is about one fourth of population compaired to Canada it gets the same number of asylum seekers. Of course everybody doesn`t get to stay, the majority is rejected. But it shows a trend that the type of immigrants coming to Sweden is in great part refugees and on par with a country that has a much bigger population.

I think that a refugee is much less able to integrate to a country then a person who has arrived to the country willingly, with capital, a understanding of the language and a high education. If anything it take much more time, resources and energy to integrate as a refugee. That`s my opinion.
+
Athkore
post 12.Oct.2012, 06:49 PM
Post #19

Just for laughs gags is actually a Quebec show.
So it's French-Canadian.
But, I'm pretty sure they only show the good reactions. : P

In my opinion, I don't think Canadian people are really anymore "friendly" than anywhere else. We still have crime, and bums and rude people that yell down the "Hey A**H****!" like anywhere else. The only difference between Canada and anywhere else, is most of us think we're better than Americans. ;]
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Oct.2012, 07:48 PM
Post #20

To answer the original question...no matter how you put it, both countries could lose and...God forbid...place second as the friendliest country...and hey...that ain't too shabby! cool.gif
+
leadguitar
post 13.Oct.2012, 02:33 PM
Post #21

Thank you for all comments. A lot of interesting and some eye opening facts!
I personally have met a few Canadians here in Europe and all of them were friendly and nice. Maybe people tend to be nicer when they are abroad. But yes, I know several people living in Canada and they don't complain the way I hear immigrants complain about Sweden.

Hey, who cares if the country "on paper" has the most democratic or integration friendly policy, when on reality the natives are not quite willing to accept you? No body admits that they reject CVs based on names, they always have excuses like lack of qualifications and such, but we all know very well that the situation in reality is quite the opposite.
+
Migga
post 13.Oct.2012, 05:40 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (leadguitar @ 13.Oct.2012, 02:33 PM) *
Hey, who cares if the country "on paper" has the most democratic or integration friendly policy, when on reality the natives are not quite willing to accept you?

Yeah or when you don`t want to be accepted by the natives and live in your own world. Then it doesn`t matter how good the country is at integration.
+
byke
post 14.Oct.2012, 12:33 AM
Post #23

The difference being individual choice.

A national view regarding intergration pales insignificance with social attitudes - especially if social attitude is influenced by government policies.
+
SergioSver
post 19.Feb.2013, 08:06 AM
Post #24

Canada is among top 3 friendliest countries in the world.

As far as I can see Sweden is not even among top ten;))))

http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/travel_150/195...el_top_ten.html
+
jack sprat
post 19.Feb.2013, 06:35 PM
Post #25

In many respects they are ok guys, but the immediately obvious likeness between Swedes and Canadians is that they are both mostly boring farts leading very boring lives.
+
Migga
post 19.Feb.2013, 07:11 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (SergioSver @ 19.Feb.2013, 08:06 AM) *
Canada is among top 3 friendliest countries in the world. . As far as I can see Sweden is not even among top ten;)))). http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/travel_150/195...el_top_ten.html

Says who? The writer of that made up list?
+
Hamsterdam
post 19.Feb.2013, 07:23 PM
Post #27

Germany, Scotland and Switzerland in the top 10. Someone is having a laugh or an aneurysm.
+
SergioSver
post 20.Feb.2013, 09:14 AM
Post #28

but the immediately obvious likeness between Swedes and Canadians is that they are both mostly boring farts leading very boring lives.

honestly I do not get what you are saying. there are lots of districts in Canada and Sweden where people live interesting, fun and exciting life.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se