• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Truck (lgv) Driving In Sweden

Is my CPC qualification valid here?

beefbroff
post 21.Oct.2012, 11:59 PM
Post #1

Hey,

I am from the UK and having recently moved to Sweden, I plan to get work as a truck driver as I have a EU class C driving licence and the CPC qualification that is now necessary to have for all truck drivers wishing to drive professionally within the EU.
I would like to know if my CPC qualification is valid here in Sweden or must I do the Swedish equivalent, the Yrkeskompetensbevis instead?
I hope not as it means 240 hours in a class room.
Does anybody know about this matter or know whom I can contact to ask about it?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Gordy
post 22.Oct.2012, 09:03 AM
Post #2

In the absence of anyone more qualified giving you an answer, I'd suggest you do a search here as it has come up in discussion a number of times. I'm pretty sure that you UK CPC is valid in any EU country.

On a side note I was talking to a guy in the business last weekend and he said that they are now busing in drivers from Romania as the Polish drivers are now too expensive. They get paid €50 to drive a truck from Copenhagen to Stockholm and then have to wait (as long as 3 days) unpaid before getting a return trip. It's dog eat dog in that end of the business.
+
beefbroff
post 22.Oct.2012, 11:37 AM
Post #3

I searched here but didn't find anything on the CPC subject. This write up here says that Sweden doesn't recognize the CPC: http://motortransport.co.uk/blog/2012/06/2...river-cpc-goal/ although I can't find any evidence to confirm it is true. Anyone else have any experience on the matter?
+
Mpf
post 22.Oct.2012, 01:10 PM
Post #4

I changed my UK licence for a Swedish one (which is the law if resident in another EU country and your licence needs renewing) and was surprised to see that I now hace CE so can drive anything from a car to 18 wheeler!

It pays to swap UK for Swedish. Then you can drive whatever you want.
+
beefbroff
post 22.Oct.2012, 01:53 PM
Post #5

Yes, I know that my licence will be valid here but the question is if my driver CPC qualification will be valid here.
From 2009 all truck drivers within EU wishing to drive professionally are required to do some extra training. I want to know if the training qualification gained in England is recognized in Sweden.
+
Gordy
post 22.Oct.2012, 02:49 PM
Post #6

I can't link to it as I on a phone but I have just bumped another thread where the CPC was discussed recently and skogsbo says it isn't required here until 2015/16 have a look at that and see if it helps.
+
skogsbo
post 22.Oct.2012, 03:03 PM
Post #7

my take on it here, was that the course is the same everywhere, as it's a European directive. Country's implementation dates vary slightly, but there is roughly approximate match between new drivers who must have the course and older drivers who must attend the course by a given date, that is the 2015/16.

I don't use my licence here, other than moving house, or as the odd favour to someone, but not in paid employment. So iv'e not gone beyond the basic details.

As for work, you don't get much C work here, other than local drops and delivery. If you are already here, you'll see that a massive amount is by train, or trailers on trains then short distance at the other end; coupled to a truck. So it's C+E. Ideally to get a permanent job and not spend your life living from one agency very short contract to the next you'll need to up your licence and get your forks licence so you can self load etc.
+
beefbroff
post 9.Feb.2013, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Hello,

I am still trying to find out if my UK CPC driver qualification card is valid in Sweden if I am driving here for a living.
I don't fancy redoing it in Sweden as it involves a long course (280 hours).
Presumably it should be valid but I want to double check and can't find any information.

Any of you guys driving?
+
djdeekay
post 29.Oct.2013, 02:18 PM
Post #9

anyone know where I can get c truck driving lessons in Skåne? I need a refresher driving course, and if I convert my C UK license to a swedish one will I get CE?
+
skogsbo
post 29.Oct.2013, 04:49 PM
Post #10

not sure why you think changing your licence would give you C+E from C, unless you do the extra test etc.. ?
+
djdeekay
post 30.Oct.2013, 11:45 AM
Post #11

I just read the post by MPF above... but anyway where can I get lessons in the Helsingborg area?
+
Boar
post 6.Nov.2013, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Here comes dirty boar with his nasty smell. Of course your YKB from UK is valid here. I drive Bus in Stockholm.
Next week I am going to give my Lorry exam. Hope I will make it. I did my YKB already for both Bus and Lorry.
If you have C from other EU, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Lietchstein then you get Swedish 'C' only if you plan to live here. To get CE you need to take test again.
Forklift is important too. A+B.
There is Grönlunds Trafikskola.
If you have earthmoving licence for different heavy machinery under C category then it is more advantageous.
+
djdeekay
post 8.Nov.2013, 11:23 AM
Post #13

thanks for the reply Boar, I have both my forklift and reach truck licences, and I will contact the school to try and do my CE tests, did you do the LKV tests and other tests in english or was it in swedish only?
+
Boar
post 8.Nov.2013, 01:33 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (djdeekay @ 8.Nov.2013, 11:23 AM) *
thanks for the reply Boar, I have both my forklift and reach truck licences, and I will contact the school to try and do my CE tests, did you do the LKV tests and other tests ... (show full quote)

It is good that you have A + B category for the Forklifts and Reach trucks.

You do not need to do a Hazard test for a Lorry or a Bus. I am not sure about other EU countries. It's mandatory for a Car and Motorcycle in Sweden.

I did my Car Theory test in English, Practical test and Hazard tests in Swedish.
All other tests in Sweden are done in Swedish. For ex:
Heavy Vehicles C1, C, Taxi,
Heavy Vechicle with a trailer C1E, CE
Heavy Bus and heavy trailer D1, D1E, D, DE
Fork Lifts and reaching Trucks, A+B
Light and Heavy Hydraulic Earth moving Vehicles. C

Combination of either one or more gives a good chance to get a job. Just Heavy vehicle 'C' category is not enough.
Heavy Motor Vechicle C and Heavy Earth moving (usually hydraulic)C is not the same.

Heavy Earth moving is calculated in number of man-hours. One cannot get an automatic permit. One has to make a particular amount of hours to become a Professional Driver and then he will be granted a permit to drive by himself or herself. But, usually, it's a Man's world.

Some companies already started to hire Romanian heavy Drivers and also Bus Workshop helpers in the Nordic countries. They work for half salary. The reason is that the Polish drivers have become a bit expensive now-a-days.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se