• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

The Best SFI Center in DownTown Stockholm.

Which One is it?Folkets versus ABF on Sveavagen

daamose
post 5.Nov.2012, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Hey there ya'll
So Im starting SFI courses , and was wondering if anyone knew which SFI center was better, as in better teaching , better teachers etc etc. Im looking at the downtown centers.. Specifically ABF on Sveavagen versus Folksuniversitet ? or also possibly that other one in Odenplan.

So if anyone out there has any info Id be really grateful !!

** SFI (Swedish For Immigrants)

Peace !
Go to the top of the page
+
olga118
post 5.Nov.2012, 06:02 PM
Post #2

I only know about Folkuniversitetet. I finished there about a month ago. They recently changed a lot of the focus in their program and the program seems to have benefited greatly from those changes. It has always had a good reputation and I don't think you could go wrong there. I don't know if the other centers have such large classes and I do think that smaller classes are better. Lycka till!
+
Monark540
post 5.Nov.2012, 09:32 PM
Post #3

I quite liked Hermods, convenient to the Stadshagen tunnelbanen station. I completed SFI-C there before moving on to a more specialized course, SFEJ at Åsa Gymnasium.

Here's a link: Hermods at Stockholm.se
+
zavaan1
post 6.Nov.2012, 04:16 PM
Post #4

I currently attend SFI courses at Sveavägen 84. All of the students and teachers that I have talked with say that SFI at ABF (the Sveavägen campus) is the best. From my experience there I would have to agree as well. It's has a relaxed welcoming atmosphere, and everyone who works and attends there are friendly and willing to help you with learning Swedish. ABF has the highest percentage of students who pass the C and D courses with high marks. Part of the reason for this is that the teachers won't sign you up for the final exams unless they feel you are ready.

If you have a choice, I recommend Sveavägen! Lycka till!
+
daamose
post 7.Nov.2012, 03:33 PM
Post #5

Hey Everyone ! Thanks for your replies !

So @ Olga! Yes I heard that at Folksuniversitet they had smaller classes, I also thought that was a good thing. So you have no negative comments about the place ! One satisfied Customer smile.gif So you definitely Recommend ?! How many where you at your classes ?
I also think smaller classes means we can cover more quicker.. thats my plan at least ! I want to finish this language asap smile.gif !

@Zaafan so yes I agree "sveavagen 84" has a good reputation, but so does folksunivesitet at least when it comes to the private classed where you pay ... so I was wondering how the SFI section of it was. How big was your class ?

@Monark540 , thanks but I think Hermonds might be a bit out of my way smile.gif ! !

Thanks again !
+
brownkitten
post 7.Nov.2012, 03:59 PM
Post #6

Folk was good, but expensive for what you get.
+
olga118
post 8.Nov.2012, 01:41 PM
Post #7

I think I wrote that in a confusing way. Folkuniversitetet has very large classes. A minimum of 20 and often more. As far as someone's comment on the other place not letting one take the test until they know they can pass it - that's kind of irrelevant. If it's the bonus you're seeking you only have to pass (with a VG) 3 of the elements. And if they won't LET you take the test then you could miss your deadline which is 15 months after you registered in Sweden and 1 year after you start SFI. What you need to know and nobody really tells you is that you really need to work outside of SFI if you want to learn Swedish. SFI is not designed to make you fluent, only to give you the foundation you need.
+
olga118
post 8.Nov.2012, 01:42 PM
Post #8

And I'm not sure why someone commented it is expensive because, obviously, SFI is cost-free.
+
Monark540
post 9.Nov.2012, 06:07 PM
Post #9

Not sure how widely this is known - you can take the desired level of SFI test at any point - simply go to the SFI Center at Hornsgatan 124, pay the fee- as I recall it was around 500 SEK, and take your test at a time you schedule. No need to wait for teacher approval tho generally its a good idea.
+
olga118
post 9.Nov.2012, 09:07 PM
Post #10

I didn't know that, but if you take it through the SFI school you attend it doesn't cost anything and they give you practice tests first so you have an idea if you are ready to take it.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options