• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Greek architect wants to move in Sweden

Help and opinions wanted

gmillas
post 7.Nov.2012, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Hello all ,
I am a greek architect who wants to work in sweden. Things was nevr stable in out country and for architect there isn't much happening. I run my own architectural office in greece fot 10 years. I would like an opinion about my decicion to find job in Sweden.
All opinions accepted.

PS.
I have 2 degrees . I studied first Civil Engineer and after Architecture both of them in greece.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 7.Nov.2012, 12:16 PM
Post #2

Do you speak Swedish?
+
gmillas
post 7.Nov.2012, 12:24 PM
Post #3

No but i am willing to learn.
+
Hisingen
post 7.Nov.2012, 12:54 PM
Post #4

Planning to re-build the Parthenon in Sweden's green and pleasant land eh?? smile.gif
+
gmillas
post 7.Nov.2012, 01:05 PM
Post #5

Not exactly..
I just want to find a place that peace and creativity cooexists. From my experience in my home country this is not going to happen anytime soon. So i decided to find a more creative place to live. I think that Sweden is a place like that.
I want to deploy my thoughts through architecture and i need a canvas for that.

Parthenon has already been built... so...
+
johnjohn
post 7.Nov.2012, 01:44 PM
Post #6

I wish you the best of luck. Bring some Greek weather with you. Yes the Parthenon has been built but needs massive renovation. It's in ruins.
+
gmillas
post 7.Nov.2012, 04:33 PM
Post #7

Need some tips to find a place to work. Can anyone give me some ideas...?
+
Case officer
post 7.Nov.2012, 06:06 PM
Post #8

Vacancies for architects:

http://www.arbetsformedlingen.se/platsbank...47b612d78000171
+
Hisingen
post 8.Nov.2012, 12:43 AM
Post #9

Might I also recommend that you get to learn about the Swedish building regs, since they could well be very different to those in Greece.

Just a thought from a layman.
+
jostein
post 8.Nov.2012, 12:46 AM
Post #10

"I just want to find a place that peace and creativity cooexists."
South America? It is the peacefull and happy continent with a bright future. sweden is anything but.
+
redblue
post 8.Nov.2012, 08:56 AM
Post #11

The Migration Board of Sweden has listed architects as a profession with labor shortages, hence job prospects for experienced architects are very good.

More info: http://www.arkitekt.se/english
+
skogsbo
post 8.Nov.2012, 10:02 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (jostein @ 8.Nov.2012, 12:46 AM) *
"I just want to find a place that peace and creativity cooexists.". South America? It is the peacefull and happy continent with a bright future. sweden is anything but.

I agree, better to be ahead of the boom, than behind it. Europe's boom years are over, at best we'll coast along.
+
what would thomas paine d...
post 8.Nov.2012, 11:33 AM
Post #13

I heard that people in Spain were learning Norwegian to look for work there. Norway seems to be a viable option for a number of people, even Swedes.

Otherwise, this website [http://sfi.halmstad.se/safir/index.htm] seems to mirror the beginner Swedish language course, SFI.

Perhaps these links might be helpful as well: The first [http://www.kalimera.se/landet/foreningar.html] is contact info for Greek Associations in Sweden and Norway. The second [http://www.arkitekt.se/english] is the Swedish Association of Architects.

If you can afford to do so, consider private health insurance as many (not all - may likewise depend on the particular health issue and county) of us in Sweden have serious problems accessing treatment.
+
Yorkshireman
post 8.Nov.2012, 12:51 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (what would thomas paine do @ 8.Nov.2012, 11:33 AM) *
I heard that people in Spain were learning Norwegian to look for work there. Norway seems to be a viable option for a number of people, even Swedes.

Since Spanish economic troubles really hit, almost 1.000.000 have emigrated looking for work, the majority of those have gone to the UK.

There are even special courses now being created for Spanish nurses actually teaching them Finnish language and regulations and fixing them jobs in Finnish hospitals!
+
Pursuivant
post 8.Nov.2012, 05:41 PM
Post #15

I'd recommend reading the www.arkitekt.se, sending over your certificates and getting them recognized and joining up, even there is no formal requirements. Then I also recommend moving to Sweden and studying the building code - somewhere into a small village up north, and experiencing a year, so you will know what snow, rain, floods are. Preferrably into a traditional house so you can then get some ideas why the modern codes are how they are. But it seems to be a softer landing than for most professions.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options