• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Fake Christmas trees?

Where to buy them

lewni
post 8.Nov.2012, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Hey peeps,

This year will be my absolute first not spent with my family so i'm looking to spruce up the flat british christmas style, wondering if anyone has tips on where to find plastic trees ? A lot of shops sell swedishy decorations but I think the market for trees may be a little limited, fake ones at least.

Cheers !
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 8.Nov.2012, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Get one from john lewis (online), they ship to sweden and the cost could be allot cheaper.
+
Yorkshireman
post 8.Nov.2012, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Fake trees are just as common here as most other countries wink.gif

Here is a link to Clas Ohlson's selection:

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/view/content/...p;showTabs=true

You can also probably get them at the other cheap and nasty stores ... Rusta, Jula etc...
+
Puffin
post 8.Nov.2012, 12:49 PM
Post #4

I have seen them in the following stores
- ICA maxi
- Jula
- Åhléns
- Clas Ohlson

But probably most large supermarkets and department stores have them
+
skogsbo
post 8.Nov.2012, 02:13 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (lewni @ 8.Nov.2012, 10:30 AM) *
so i'm looking to spruce

smile.gif

Anyway I can't believe you are not pining after a real tree? Will be cheaper(or free) and keeps you occupied cleanng up the needles.
+
byke
post 8.Nov.2012, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Tree prices are expected to rise again this christmas after a rather poor Swedish summer.
+
skogsbo
post 8.Nov.2012, 03:02 PM
Post #7

How does that work, does rain kill spruces? wink.gif

ps. Spruces actually have growth spurts in wet summers. smile.gif

There might be shortage due to people not growing them, but it's nothing to do with the weather.
+
byke
post 8.Nov.2012, 03:09 PM
Post #8

severe late-spring frosts in Europe killed 25% of the harvest-in Sweden alone,

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/news/article/...-in-crisis.html

And here is some more :

http://www.thechristmastreefarm.co.uk/blog...src=default.asp
+
skogsbo
post 8.Nov.2012, 03:32 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (byke @ 8.Nov.2012, 02:29 PM) *
Tree prices are expected to rise again this christmas after a rather poor Swedish summer.

QUOTE (byke @ 8.Nov.2012, 03:09 PM) *

So was it the poor wet summer or frost? But despite having forest and getting a far perceentage of Sweden's forestry magazines etc. and attending Sodra workshops this is news to me. I think they are hyping it up for their prices. Got any Swedish links to this?

The other bit in the country life link, mentioned early harvesting whilst chasing demand, Which is probably closer to the truth.

ps. Spruces need frost to promote growth and it helps them hold their needles longer.
+
byke
post 8.Nov.2012, 03:44 PM
Post #10

@skogsbo

I have presented you with at least 2 references of credible media regarding this issue, yet you continue to deny it like an angry step child. Basing your own self worth over that of professionals.

I am surprised you haven't dismissed the articles as having any bearing, trying to claim that the trees in question were not naturally indigenous to Sweden - thus have no value.

But if you really want to do some more research into this in a desperate attempt to save face :
http://www.google.com
+
lewni
post 8.Nov.2012, 04:43 PM
Post #11

Lovely, thankyou so much for the tips! I tried Lidl and ÖoB thinking cheap odd places might be best, Clas Ohlson is a big relief !

Not having a real one since my cat loved laying under the last one and would come out looking like a swamp jaguar all the time biggrin.gif
+
skogsbo
post 8.Nov.2012, 05:12 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (byke @ 8.Nov.2012, 03:44 PM) *
I have presented you with at least 2 references of credible media regarding this issue,

Never said they weren't credible, only that my experience from physically growing and seeing spruces in Sweden this year is different.

The article, refers to UK producers and the prices of taller trees being up this year. It doesn't just blame the frost, it blames disease and producers taking the trees younger so there are fewer taller trees. The article's spokes person is also representing tree growers / sellers, so their pitch on why prices is higher this year might be some what biased.

Perhaps these UK sellers need to source their trees from the southern end of Sweden or the UK instead? If frost damage really has had such a massive impact, which I've not seen myself. It's generally if you have a warm Mar/Apri then some very harsh Mays, a few years in succession that does the damage. Spruces are well engineered for this climate and many seedling spruces are originally from seed stock from further east (russian), where their natural growth surge in spring is a few weeks later than Swedish seed stock. (there you go, saved you doing your homework).
+
Flappytango
post 8.Nov.2012, 08:11 PM
Post #13

this place *link* is south of malmo, i was there last year, big selection. Some of them are very realistic and cost up to about 5000sek depending on size.

http://www.vellingeblomman.se/tomtebyn.html

looks like they ship dont know about costs
Vi levererar granar över hela landet. Kontakta butiken på 040-429631 för mer information.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se