• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Advice on moving to the uk

Any Britts here?

Mark249
post 9.Nov.2012, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I'm soon finishing my studies here in Sweden and have already gotten a few offers from places such as Belfast, Liverpool and London. Any advice would be appreciated.

My questions about moving to the uk are:

1. Have any of you commuted between Sweden and UK like once a month? Could you cope with it and could you make any savings from airlines if you commutsed so often?

2. I'm an EU member, so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to change my 'folkbokföring' in sweden to uk when considering residence, access to local services and tax issues?

3. Is Belfast a typical Irish city when it comes to their mentality/culture?

4. I'm thinking of maybe residing in South Buck or west london. Any opnions on the local area?

5. Any complications of commuting or livin in the uk, considering that the uk is not in schengen?
Go to the top of the page
+
sometimesinsweden
post 9.Nov.2012, 03:23 PM
Post #2

1. Have any of you commuted between Sweden and UK like once a month? Could you cope with it and could you make any savings from airlines if you commutsed so often?

I do it once a month and its fine - its a 5 hour journey door to door for me so half a day. Just buy your Ryanairs in advance and take advantage of BA/SAS/Norwegian cheap prices that come up

2. I'm an EU member, so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to change my 'folkbokföring' in sweden to uk when considering residence, access to local services and tax issues?

Depends how long you intend to live in UK, how much you earn in job and what your personal circumstances are.

3. Is Belfast a typical Irish city when it comes to their mentality/culture?

Only visited for weekends so cant answer that

4. I'm thinking of maybe residing in South Buck or west london. Any opnions on the local area?

Local area? You've mentioned a large area populated by a few million people - its way too large to generalise... goes from being extremely expensive for the Euro/US/Russian wealthy to illegal asians sharing 5 to a bedroom depending on where in west London...

5. Any complications of commuting or livin in the uk, considering that the uk is not in schengen?
[/quote]

If you mean commuting, occasional slowness coming into the UK at immigration queues but other than that, no.
+
Pursuivant
post 9.Nov.2012, 05:55 PM
Post #3

if it's worthwhile to change my 'folkbokföring' in sweden to uk when considering residence, access to local services and tax issues?

I don't think its a question of "worthwhile" as if you had a choice in it, the rules are basically if you work and live in the UK, then you are taxed/insured/resident in the UK. I mean seriously, you expect go to an UK company and bring them a Skatteverket card and a Swedish bank account number?

OK, so what you need to do when you have that work contract signed in your hand. What I say pertains to England, if you go to North Ireland they have some slightly different offices but 90% is the same. Firstly, you need an address and a proof you live there as well as a National Insurance number. Easier done than said with the address, as a "proof" is a gas bill or the likes or a bank statement, and you won't have any of those.

OK, first things first.You can get a room pretty easily, and the first thing you do is find out where you are living, print and fill in a form and sign onto the "Electoral Register". This will send you a very nice and "letter from a public official" that will help you "prove your address". ( North Ireland has a slightly different system, there you get an electoral ID card)

Also, first day in UK (you can't call from a Swedish phone) you need to call 0845 600 0643 and get an appointment for an interview at your local JobcentrePlus to get the National Insurance number. Similar ordeal to the guys here do with Skatteverket, so you can come back and whine how the UK is a bureaucratic nightmare. They want to see a paper for everything, so have one ready. They want a "birth certificate" so get some paper that passes as one, baptismal certificate or such. And all the papers proving anything that you are married/divorced/with children etc.

If you manage to rent a room without seeing it and have an address one fast way to cut a corner is - at least Lloyds TSB is quite willing to give an account online, you just then need to show up and sign some papers - and also, show "proof of address". Then their "internet banking" still wants to call you, so you need to get a SIM contract so you have an "UK number" to give.

Things are looking peachy, you'll get a plastic NI card in the mail and your employer will pay you a salary in the account and the taxes are handled quite efficiently. The only thing left is then to sign up with a doctor, (London is reportedly quite crowded) and you will get a form to fill and you get a NHS number. (You should have the EHIC card from Sweden with you to cover the initial 3 months).

Theres two extra things you might do - registering the right to reside as an EU resident, but really nobody gives a damn (it was for Bulgarian and Romanian) but you can, just in case you meet someone thick who doesn't know Sweden is in the EU. You get an impressive "leave to remain" card just like in the 70's spy movies. Changing your driver's licence is also a thing you might want to do (they might screw you on the insurance if you decide to get a car otherwise). Now here you need that funny thing they gave you from the bank thats a checque book (or you can get the payment done at a PostOffice). In any case, you need to send the form, a couple photos, the payment, 50 squid I think, your Swedish licence and your Passport to a certain DVLA office. (Yes you need to send it all - theres no walk-in-offices except maybe 2 in the whole country) and you get the UK licence and your Passport back in a week or two. (so don't book a flight before you actually get it).

What else... umm... yeah, English kids wear uniform to school and in and office you also wear a "business uniform". So turn the clock back and dust off your suit and tie. You'll "observe" the companys culture, but don't show up in jeans and sneakers like our French IT dude. Its a bit embarrassing to be sent to Tesco to buy pants on your first lunch break.

I said "finding a room" as when you move over you will have 3-4 months probation at work and you really need to figure out the "system" before you start looking for a rental flat. Houseshares are common, so it isn't anything all that stigmatizing and weird. Also, remember that when you rent alone, you pay the "kommunsjkatt" on top extra (its not taken from the salary) and that depends on the value of the house you live in. Just one of these little things everyone knows but nobody tells you...

Hum... I probably forgot something, but that way you'll avoid most annoyances and you don't need to whine on a board how things are impossible wink.gif I must have deprived people of hours of entertainment.
+
Pursuivant
post 9.Nov.2012, 06:02 PM
Post #4

You need to have a Passport. Not just go with an ID-kort like to Finland or Denmark
+
agw9262
post 9.Nov.2012, 07:55 PM
Post #5

I know that was probably only supposed to be a helpful response but it was funny, had me laughing.

As an ex-pat I can agree it will be funny to see the HMRC version of the Skatteverket stories, might put the S-V problems into context.

That's assuming the OP can get through to them on the number you gave, if they can be arsed to answer the phone.

When (if?) the OP does get through, I hope they don't get one of the 4 out of 6 HMRC employees (numbers based on my experiences of trying to get through to them by phone, email, post, pidgeon...) who doesn't give a damn.

"Great" Britain
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com