• Sweden edition
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Work for a foreign company while staying in Sweden

As a non-EU citizen that has residence permit here

post 14.Nov.2012, 11:09 PM
Post #1
Joined: 14.Nov.2012

Hello there! I'm a non-EU citizen currently living in Sweden. Lately I got a position to work for a Swiss company, and I'll be doing my job here in Sweden. As the employer hasn't done this before, I want to get some information about this myself. Would it be allowed in this way, or I should start a personal company to deal with the situation? Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
Case officer
post 15.Nov.2012, 12:14 AM
Post #2
Joined: 25.Jul.2012

To be granted a work permit you must work for a Swedish company. A Swedish company is a company registered at the Swedish Skatteverket and with a ten digit organization number. Also, it must be reasonable that your particular job is done in Sweden and not somewhere else, eg. in Switzerland. If you start your own company, you must also be able to explain why your business must be located in Sweden. The last is somethimes called the Skype clause - you won't get a permit for working in Sweden and teaching English to Chinese people through Skype.
Go to the top of the page
post 15.Nov.2012, 10:36 AM
Post #3
Joined: 14.Nov.2012

Thanks Case Officer! Actually I'm not in a hurry of work permit right now as this out-land job is a part time while I have a more "formal" one in Sweden already. I'm more curious about the complications regarding how I/the company should deal with authority.

I've been checking some websites and this one says I can work as a natural person but shall do my own taxes(if I understand it right). While I hear a lot people saying I should have a personal company so it's easier to deal with payments. I'm wondering if there's a big difference?

Haha, I don't look very credible to teach Chinese people English, but appears fully legit to teach English speaking people Chinese smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply