• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Birch bark fire

Can it spontaniously combust?

roodkapje
post 15.Nov.2012, 09:57 AM
Post #1

That is my question. when it is in an ikea bag? I woke up to a fire this morning, thanks to fire alarms and an extinguisher I could put it out.
Still in shock.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 15.Nov.2012, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Not very likely. I have seen oil soked rags spontaneously combust as well as piles of damp grass. Just can't imagine birch logs but stranger things have happened like spontaneous human combination. Calling Trowbridge!

Attached Image

+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Is it "pure" logs or bark or are we talking about a bark firelighter product that has been soaked in something?
+
roodkapje
post 15.Nov.2012, 11:09 AM
Post #4

:-)It were not logs but pieces of dried curled up birch bark. a whole ikea bag full. I know about rags and oils.
+
skogsbo
post 15.Nov.2012, 11:26 AM
Post #5

sounds curious, agree it's one for trowbridge, ever worked for the intelligence services?

...anyway... birch bark does burn very easily and quickly, no problems lighting it off a match in seconds, but not sure where the source of ignition could come from. Do you have very old windows that have sunken and bubbled glass, that could act like a magnifying glass? It's a puzzler.
+
roodkapje
post 15.Nov.2012, 11:39 AM
Post #6

I know enough now, I was hoping it could spontaniously ignate, now that's unlikely, I know the cause.
+
johnjohn
post 15.Nov.2012, 11:39 AM
Post #7

Sounding more plausable. Compost can get hot enough to spontaneously combust as in grass clippings. A rich oxygen environment greatly helps like on a cold dry day. If you bark was composting and lets say exposed to an outside draft I believe it is possible.
+
johnjohn
post 15.Nov.2012, 11:44 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (roodkapje @ 15.Nov.2012, 10:39 AM) *
I know enough now, I was hoping it could spontaniously ignate, now that's unlikely, I know the cause.

Using the creme brulee torch while imbibing?
+
skogsbo
post 15.Nov.2012, 11:47 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (roodkapje @ 15.Nov.2012, 11:39 AM) *

exploding light bulb?
throwing cigarette ends across the room?
child playing with matches?
experimenting with incendiary timers?
+
johnjohn
post 15.Nov.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #10

Trying to duplicate crazy Swede's homemade kitchen nuclear reactor?
+
skogsbo
post 15.Nov.2012, 01:17 PM
Post #11

Trow's space laser?

I think the Op at least owes us the whole story.
+
Svensksmith
post 15.Nov.2012, 04:43 PM
Post #12

In my 30 years of being a sloyd instructor I have never had any wood chips, shavings or anything like that spontaneously combust. The one and only time I had a case of spontaneous combustion was when a kid left a linseed oil soaked rag out on a workbench and I failed to notice it. Of course there was a school board meeting that night and the superintendent of schools smelled the smoke. Thank God for tenure.
+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 07:45 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 15.Nov.2012, 01:17 PM) *
Trow's space laser?

biggrin.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 15.Nov.2012, 08:29 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (roodkapje @ 15.Nov.2012, 12:09 PM) *
:-)It were not logs but pieces of dried curled up birch bark. a whole ikea bag full. I know about rags and oils.

Did it come from a workshop? In that case it may have been exposed to linseed oil which is a source of spontaneous combustion.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se