• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Integration rule for citizenship

The expected time line for implementation

aliraza.jibs1
post 15.Nov.2012, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Hello All,

There have been talk of this integration rule been applied for Citizenship. (before you all get judgmental it´s not that I don’t want to learn Swedish it´s just that I tried and no very comfortable with having command over Swedish any time soon) Any one has any idea when it would be implemented and will it affect the people who are already eligible or its new comers. I am in dilemma here as I already have Canadian PR and in order to be Citizen I would need to move there 3 years before it expires in Feb 2017 whereas in Aug 2014 i am eligible to apply for Swedish Citizenship. It´s been hard to make up my mind, I have very good job here in Sweden with very good global company but need to change my passport due to obvious reason. So I am not sure if I should take a risk of job and move to Canada to secure Citizenship or should stay here and put chances of having any other passport at risk.
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 12:39 PM
Post #2

Not quite sure what you are asking - do you want to be Canadian or Swedish - or are you citizenship shopping?

You realise that you time spent in Sweden with be reset to zero if you move to Canada before it is granted?

At the moment there is no language requirement but who knows?
+
aliraza.jibs1
post 15.Nov.2012, 01:13 PM
Post #3

that is my question since there have been talk does any one know how long it takes or will take least to apply this language requirment rule?
+
electric_magnetic
post 15.Nov.2012, 01:52 PM
Post #4

Honey, we have the same amount of information on this news about language requirement as you do.

It came out yesterday and it was just a survey. If you read the article closely you will see that they will propose this idea of language requirement in April. How long will it take for the parliament to deliberate on whether they should implement this law or not it is only known to them.
If they pass the law on language requirements, IF, I assume it would come to power only the next year, so 2014.
Most of the countries have this practice of only implementing the law the next year after it was passed. I assume that it would take the Riksdag quite some time to deliberate on this since I believe that the Democrats will want this law (and since they're the majority at this moment it might as well be passed) and the more liberal parties would want to shut it down.

As for your dilemma, you really need to ask yourself one thing more than anything- which citizenship would you rather have since it's obvious that you won't be able to have both due to time restrictions. Where would you feel the most at home?
On a even more personal note on your insecurity on speaking a foreign language freely- one thing helped me a lot and that is something I read long time ago: don't try mimicking the native speakers accent, don't try going down that road because it will be an instant failure, instead try your level best to learn the grammar and have a broad vocabulary because those are the things which actually will convey your message more correctly. I know for a fact that everyone finds it adorable when a foreigner is trying to speak their language and I know for a fact that most of the people will have a lot of sympathy and understanding.

Hope I was of some sort of help to you! Good luck.
+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 02:18 PM
Post #5

I don't see why learning basic Swedish within a year would be problematic
+
JulieLou40
post 15.Nov.2012, 02:43 PM
Post #6

But you don't know his personal situation, do you?

Before I started SFI, I thought I'd be sorted well within a year. And then my son's behaviour issues got a lot worse, and instead of being able to attend 5 mornings a week for the "full-time" class, I had to go down to one, weekly, 2 hour class. Most of the time when I was studying in the morning classes for those few weeks, I was late because my son would refuse to get up and go to school, or fight with me, and it was just untenable in the end. So I made the switch, and of course my learning slowed right down because I was getting a fraction of the classes I had before.

Obviously I'm not saying everyone is in this situation-I've had pretty bad luck, I reckon. But you never know what somebody has going on, that's my point smile.gif
+
Puffin
post 15.Nov.2012, 07:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 15.Nov.2012, 02:43 PM) *
But you don't know his personal situation, do you?

True - but if he is eligible for citizenship then that would mean either 3,5 or 8 years continuos residence - depending on the rules he is appling under - which doesn't seem an ureasonable time-frame to get basic Swedish of he really wants to be a citizen here

But I am little puzzled as OP is also pursuing Canadian citizenship at the same time (hence the need to move to Canada in 2014) so I am unsure whether he is serious about residing in Sweden
+
ahm
post 15.Nov.2012, 08:19 PM
Post #8

Ridiculous Idea ,

Thats one of fool polititicians ideas cool.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 15.Nov.2012, 08:32 PM
Post #9

This subject raises it head every now and again biggrin.gif Folkpartiet have been pushing for this for many years without success, and it is still part of their policies.

OP, I suspect You are refering to the recent headline a few days ago with regards the, dare I say it!, expert group that are looking at the matter. They are not due to report their findings to the Government until April next year, then it will take a little before it becomes legislation ...if it makes it that far.

It is probably indirectly a join reaction to the rise of the SD party polls. Making semi-nationalistic moves might help the other parties show they are not totally alienating those that have nationalistic ideals, which often come to the fore in times of economic difficulties!

However, don't be surprised if it does come to be that Swedish is required for citizenship, if you are born outside of Sweden and have automatic citizenship, once You reach 18->21 if you have not lived in Sweden, in order to keep the citizenship You need to submit to Migrationsverket the education/level of Swedish language You have reached.
+
gavigod
post 16.Nov.2012, 07:40 PM
Post #10

what do you mean 3.5 to 8 years for citizenship. I have been living in sweden for close to 4 years on a work cum resident permit. I will automatically get a PR in a few months when i got for extending my visa. cant i apply for a citizenship for the year after since i would have spent 5 years? as you know the migrationsverket website is as vague as ever. dont understand why they simply cant put straight points for citizenship as in countries like UK? since its crisp and factual does it mean non-social non.swedish?
+
Yorkshireman
post 16.Nov.2012, 08:10 PM
Post #11

To Migrationsverket it is clear wink.gif ...It is Us fools that just don't understand it.

What You need to know is that it is 5 years from when you had a permit UT or PUT for settlement. Your work permit is a temporary permit that allows you to reside and work in Sweden, but it is not for settlement. After 4 years of work permits, the conclusion upon renewal is ...hmmmm, this person came for work but actually looks like they will stay ... ok, we change it to PUT ...which is for settlement, permanent residence. Hence, 4 years non-settlement UT -> PUT -> 5 years to citizenship = 9 years actually.
+
Kibiri
post 16.Nov.2012, 09:18 PM
Post #12

@gavigod: What Yorkshire wrote above is one prevalent interpretation on this forum. But there have been people who emailed migrationsverket and got reply that you can get citizenship in 5 years total (4 year work based UT + 1 year PUT). Though if one emails migrationsverket 10 times, one can get 10 different and vague answers. Anyways, please do apply in one year and let us know how it goes.
+
byke
post 16.Nov.2012, 09:39 PM
Post #13

I can't see it happening any time soon.
And I can't even imagine the legal obstacles that could arise in terms of human rights.
+
zebi
post 17.Nov.2012, 12:49 AM
Post #14

hi to all contributors,

I read all the post regarding the fear of implementing the language rule for swedish citizenship. Here is what I think!
I think those who have work permit or PR or PUT or are near to get citizenship all should not be lawfully bound to pass the language test. The reason is the migrationboard has not mentioned any rule and if It applies now then it should not cover those who got their PR or PUT. If migration implement this rule on them then it is illegal from the government side.

let´s assume! to get PR takes 4 year and you should pay taxes. If Mboard announces that now the time period is 6 years then what do you think those who are paying their taxes and are closer to get PR should be affected by this new law?
Brother the language survey they created by themselves in order to inform those who are closer to apply citizenship. A large number of people in sweden are getting PR, PUT and government knows that they even don know our language.
the best thing is that if you learn the language before you are more two years late to get your citizenship.
I advice you people that dont think of citizenship, you will get when time will arrive.

regards,
moon
+
Puffin
post 18.Nov.2012, 10:14 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (gavigod @ 16.Nov.2012, 07:40 PM) *
what do you mean 3.5 to 8 years for citizenship.

There are different minimum waiting times for citizenship depending on circumstances as different rules apply - the ones that are most usual are
3 years if married to a Swedish citizen
5 years - applies to most people
8 years for undocumented refugees

Plus I could have mentioned 2 years for Nordic citizens or 5 years if a Nordic citizens wants to make the simplifie application without ´going through Migrationsverket
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN