• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish Drivers The Worst!

Where did they learn to drive?

Steggles
post 16.Nov.2012, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Are Swedish cars designed without signal lights?

Nobody seems to use the signal lights!
Go to the top of the page
+
tamohamo
post 16.Nov.2012, 09:15 PM
Post #2

that is why we have the lowest traffic incidents and lowest traffic loss ...
+
davo339
post 16.Nov.2012, 09:43 PM
Post #3

You haven't seen anything until you have been to Alberta, Canada... I have not seen driving/parking this horrible anywhere... badly designed infrastructure as well.
+
edd1
post 16.Nov.2012, 10:52 PM
Post #4

This has been driving me crazy also! i've been wondering for a while now why the hell nobody uses their indicators and finally been able to come up with the reason!!!

They are all to busy on their phones while driving and therefore have no free hand for the indicators! :-)

Another thing i've been wondering about, and now this may just be me not understanding Swedish traffic rules, While driving on the motorway (E4 Stockholm) everybody seems to stick like glue to the middle lane (out of three available lanes) regardless of speed or totally empty lanes to the right. So i'm wondering maybe its me being silly thinking people driving slowest should be in the right hand lane?...

Bloody muppets...
+
chazza
post 17.Nov.2012, 09:33 AM
Post #5

I believe the inability to use signal lights is in swedish DNA.

Even though my other half left Sweden pre teen and grew up/learnt to drive /etc elsewhere,he NEVER uses the bloody indicators - hence my firm belief it's in the DNA.

Drives me nuts!
+
byke
post 17.Nov.2012, 10:00 AM
Post #6

In Stockholm, I notice a lot of drivers making u-turns with what appears no concern for other people's safety.
+
StephenR
post 17.Nov.2012, 10:55 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (edd1 @ 16.Nov.2012, 11:52 PM) *
Another thing i've been wondering about, and now this may just be me not understanding Swedish traffic rules, While driving on the motorway (E4 Stockholm) everybody seems ... (show full quote)

Not a driver myself but my wife (who's Swedish) goes insane over this though in our case, it applies to Nynäsvagen (73:an). She's convinced that it only starts happening when you reach the outskirts of Stockholm City ie it's city drivers at fault, those who don't regularly use motorways and don't really know how to.
+
texaslass
post 17.Nov.2012, 11:57 AM
Post #8

I think it has to do with a lack of awareness of peripheral actions. I have noticed that most people here in Sweden live in a personal "bubble", where it is difficult for them to recognize actions outside or on the periphery of this bubble. When walking on the street, they congregate without regard for those trying to walk around them, or they text sms whilst walking and pay no attention to those in front of them. It is like this social proprioception function (the awareness of one's self in relation to others) never developed. Perhaps it never had to develop for some environmental reason. Anyways, this is my theory, is that Swedish people's social proprioception was inhibited from developing for most likely social reasons.
+
byke
post 17.Nov.2012, 12:11 PM
Post #9

Cyclists in Stockholm is another form of selfish idiots who have no regards to others and constantly put others in danger. Where any form of road rules are blatently ignored by self centred idiots.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 17.Nov.2012, 12:36 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (tamohamo @ 16.Nov.2012, 09:15 PM) *
that is why we have the lowest traffic incidents and lowest traffic loss ...

Who told you that, because it's not true. According to the WHO Global Status Report on Road Safety Japan has the lowest. Sweden is one of the lowest, but not the lowest, and has the same number of incidents per 100 000 vehicles as the UK (also one of the lowest). I'm rather surprised by that. Given the much lower density of traffic in Sweden, I would have expected the rate of accidents to be much lower too.

My experience from driving in the UK and Sweden is that good/bad driving takes different forms. I've found that Swedish drivers are much more curteous than their British counterparts. If you indicate to change lane, they create space to let you in, whereas in Britain they're more likely to take counter measures to block you. Britain seems to have far more really aggressive, intimidating drivers. But on the other hand, Swedes have taken tailgating to olympic levels and I've lost count of the number of times my life has flashed before my eyes due to their horrendously unsafe overtaking tactics.
+
Hisingen
post 17.Nov.2012, 02:16 PM
Post #11

I do believe that the arm of the signal switch is attached to the steering wheel by a ratchet so that when the wheel is turned, THEN the blinkers are activated. But as has been pointed out so rightly, with the mobile phone at their ear, there is hardly even a hand on the wheel.
On the other hand, often on the motorway, a driver will overtake (at 160) then use the blinkers as he pulls back in front of you IMMEDIATELY once past, instead of waiting to 1. make sure he is safely past you and 2. not throw up a mass of spray (on wet roads) onto your windscreen.
A dream scenario is where a driver is on the phone, drives into a roundabout, changes gear, signals vaguely, and takes the last exit. With no hands on the wheel at all. And yes it does happen - frequently.
In the DNA or the genes, that sums it up.
cool.gif
cool.gif
+
byke
post 17.Nov.2012, 02:26 PM
Post #12

I wish they would ban mobile phones while driving in Sweden.
+
nlidukdese
post 17.Nov.2012, 02:38 PM
Post #13

Yes, the sticking to the middle lane... where Swedes prefer to drive at 103 km/h, overtaking absolutely nobody in the right lane, and being overtaken by cars in the left lane going 107 km/h. Building three lanes in Sweden is a waste of tax payers' money seeing as nobody would actually use the right lane (except to overtake everybody in the middle and left lanes at 165 km/h).

Texaslass's hypothesis (know your difference between hypotheses and theories!) about the undeveloped social proprioception function is interesting and deserves further study. It sounds plausible to me, also given Swedes' tendency to stand still immediately as they get off an escalator.

I always assumed cultural and psychological factors were at play. Driving just below the speed limit in the middle lane is so fantastically lagom, it almost beats mellanmjölk. And perhaps driving on the right is seen as humiliating? Something only the blind and disabled would do?

Oh how I long for the German Autobahn. Where people have no issue driving in the right lane going 165 km/h without overtaking anybody to their left. Or where people overtaking at 180 km/h don't mind quickly switching lanes to let that car approaching at 200 km/h overtake safely.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Nov.2012, 02:41 PM
Post #14

I wish they would ban people who have no other purpose than to badmouth Swedes and accuse them of what they do themselves...how many of you have taken the time to verify that a Swede was actually behind the wheel?

I have witnessed all the poor driving behaviour credited to Swedes occurring here in the "Big Apple" and there are not many Swedes here!
+
Willy
post 17.Nov.2012, 02:51 PM
Post #15

Is the discussion about Sweden or about Stockholm?
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se