• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Getting an ID card is it a must?

Do you have to get an ID card?

Katyabuchanan
post 19.Nov.2012, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Hi everyone smile.gif
I'm half swedish half scottish, so I have a swedish passport and just registered myself here, waiting for the papers to arrive this week. After that do I HAVE to apply for the ID card? Also why would I need it, what are the benefits?
Thanks, x
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 19.Nov.2012, 08:32 AM
Post #2

No, you don't have to have it. Your passport will do fine, but if you don't like to carry around your passport all day ID-card (or driving license) is convenient.

You need ID-cards/driver's licence/passport to show you identity for things like collecting parcels at the post office, paying with credit/debit card (if you don't use PIN), buying booze (if you look young), etc.
+
Katyabuchanan
post 19.Nov.2012, 08:34 AM
Post #3

Thank you so much! That is great, I had thought that it would be the same as a passport! smile.gif
Thanks for your help!x
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 19.Nov.2012, 08:35 AM
Post #4

PS. I assume you have a relatively new passport (post 2006). Older passports might not be accepted as ID in many places.
+
byke
post 19.Nov.2012, 08:36 AM
Post #5

My British passport hasn't been of any use for me as ID as I have a pre 2006? issued passport which doesnt contain the biometric chip.

So be aware, if you have a passport without the biometric chip ... places such as the post office wont accept it as a valid form of ID.
+
Katyabuchanan
post 19.Nov.2012, 08:45 AM
Post #6

Yeah it's post 2006!
+
beanjeanie
post 19.Nov.2012, 09:37 PM
Post #7

A swedish id card is necesary if you need to identify yourself and especially if you do not have an EU id/passport.
I found this out the hard way when i went to sit for my drivers theoretical test and they would not accept my passport (non EU) nor any form of identification which is not from EU. Hence, i had to reschedule my drivers theory test because of this silly rule so that i can apply for an id card in time. One would have thought that if your passport is good enough as an id to apply for your personal number thorough skatteverket, it should be good enough as an id to sit for the drivers theory test!! Go figure...
+
Taxalien
post 19.Nov.2012, 10:26 PM
Post #8

One major reason to get an ID card is as an insurance to allow you to prove who you are, in case you lose your other identity papers.

For example, if you only had a passport and you lost it, then it could prove very difficult for you to prove who you actually are.

This is at least how it used to be. I don't know if biometrics have altered that in any way / would be interesting to hear if anyone has any recent experience of that.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 19.Nov.2012, 11:28 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (beanjeanie @ 19.Nov.2012, 10:37 PM) *
A swedish id card is necesary if you need to identify yourself and especially if you do not have an EU id/passport.I found this out the hard way when i went to sit for my driv ... (show full quote)

Not strange at all. The people that process ID-card applications are trained at recognizing passports from all over the world; the people at the driving test are not.
+
Yorkshireman
post 20.Nov.2012, 02:12 PM
Post #10

You don't really need an ID Card, make a photocopy of both your UK + Swedish passports photograph page, and if you ever lose the originals, they can be used to get copies/idenify yourself. (normally is OK.).

If You want an ID Card, since you have a Swedish Passport = Swedish Citizen, then You can just go to the Police station where they do ID Cards. The Swedish Citizen ID Card is the national EU recognised one and also has biometrics, so within the EU it can be used for travel without a passport, though it is only valid for 5 years. Could be handy, just in case, to have one and keep it in your wallet so you don't need to carry around the passports. wink.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options