• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

How can I learn Swedish

No time with work committments

Kegzmc
post 19.Nov.2012, 02:01 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

I started SFI last month and it was going well until I had to travel abroad with work again. I was only there 2 weeks and learned so much.

Unfortunately I cannot commit to SFI courses because I never know where I will be from week to week. I travel a lot to the USA, Asia etc.

Can anyone suggest another way to learn Swedish? Private lessons perhaps?
Go to the top of the page
+
sometimesinsweden
post 19.Nov.2012, 02:02 PM
Post #2

youve just answered your own question.
+
Kegzmc
post 19.Nov.2012, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Thanks a lot.

Asshole
+
dgd
post 19.Nov.2012, 02:31 PM
Post #4

For the basics of Swedish you could try Babbel (www.babbel.com) - this is okay for a grounding in conversational swedish and includes learning of the past and perfect tenses.

If you're choosing this route you really need to couple it with an old fashioned text book, which includes a list of conjugated Swedish verbs.

Hope this helps.
+
Migga
post 19.Nov.2012, 02:53 PM
Post #5

Read children books, go online, watch movies and listen to music in swedish. That`s one way I guess.
+
HannahSwain
post 19.Nov.2012, 02:56 PM
Post #6

... calling someone who actually answers your question an asshole is incredibly motivating to others who might help
+
skogsbo
post 19.Nov.2012, 03:02 PM
Post #7

I think a combination of books, CDs, dvds and some lessons when you can, either here or in the country you visit, pre booking ahead. It's a tough balance to strike, as learning Swedish feels like it requires full on immersion to progress.
+
byke
post 19.Nov.2012, 03:03 PM
Post #8

If you are abroad a lot, then if you get a Swedish VPN from https://www.vpnuk.info and just watch Swedish TV shows.
+
Shibumi
post 19.Nov.2012, 03:38 PM
Post #9

more of a smartass than an asshole I would say... and BTW, s/he was right :-)

I find that listening to the Klartext news helps me a bit. It's slower simplified swedish. I find that parsing is the hardest part in listening comprehension. So the slower rate helps a lot.

Here's the link: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/default.aspx?programid=493

You can listen to it everyday from anywhere in the world.

Good luck!
+
Svensksmith
post 19.Nov.2012, 03:42 PM
Post #10

That's skitstövel to you, buddy.
+
cherrybubble
post 19.Nov.2012, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Hej,

I *think * you can do SFI online or as a distance course. Search the local's forum, I'm pretty sure its been talked about here before.
Also, the SFI folks have been suuuper helpful every time I've called, they might bring it up were you to call and talk to them and explain your situation.

Good luck, it sucks to want to learn and not be able to juggle work and language classes.
+
dstergiou
post 19.Nov.2012, 04:26 PM
Post #12

You can definitely have SFI courses online, i am doing it at the moment

You visit your local SFI center and you let them know that you want to study distance. They will ask you if you have a preference and then "enroll" you to a distance learning course. AFAIK, Lernia and Hermods offer distance learning SFI
+
intrepidfox
post 19.Nov.2012, 05:16 PM
Post #13

You can read as many books as you want but if you do not converse in the language then forget it.
+
texaslass
post 20.Nov.2012, 03:10 PM
Post #14

I believe that watching tv and listening to music will not work, as you need some sort of vocabulary translation. Unfortunately, Swedish tv is not subtitled in English- it would be nice if it was. Perhaps if the television tax was increased there would be funds for a project like this. Actually, it would be probably be good to subtitle Swedish programs into Arabic as well- then more people would have access to learning Swedish.

I digress...

What works for me is to read the Swedish newspapers and keep a file of all the new words. I spend about 45 minutes reading the news, and then spend 30 minutes committing new words to memory. Then I write sentences with the new words. Just like studying for university entrance exams when you were younger- memorization and practice are the key.

One drawback to this method is that I cannot hear how the words sound. That is where it would be a good idea for Swedish public tv to invest in subtitles. When I talk, I do not worry about the pronunciation, the listener can typically interpret what I am trying to say.
+
jeff9556
post 21.Nov.2012, 11:29 PM
Post #15

http://www.lingq.com is pretty cool, I've used it for studying other languages.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description