• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Driving UK car to Sweden over Xmas

For the holiday period, not a permanent stay

sometimesinsweden
post 21.Nov.2012, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Can't find the rules anywhere - does anyone know what they are about driving a British-registered car over to Sweden for the Xmas period for 2 weeks - do winter tyres have to be fitted? If not, will it invalidate UK insurance... (I've driven a lot on snow and ice and have a 4 wheel drive Golf with multi-purpose tyres, so don't need warnings etc. thanks).

Also, previously always ferried to Denmark and driven up, but may go to Calais instead this time to save ferry cost - is it worth driving along the Easterly motorway through France without all the gear, as from past experience, I know driving South, pretty much all UK cars are stopped and searched for flourescent Hi-Viz jackets etc.
Go to the top of the page
+
ShaunD
post 21.Nov.2012, 11:52 AM
Post #2

The answer to your question is here http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en/road/V...s/winter-tyres/ and in there it states that YES you must have winter tyres fitted to be able to drive over here during christmas.

It doesn't matter that you have 4wd, in fact that doesn't make much difference in normal driving over here during winter and the correct tyres fitted.
+
sometimesinsweden
post 21.Nov.2012, 03:49 PM
Post #3

Cheers for that link - I guess if there's no snow or ice in Gothenburg over the period, then I'll be legal, otherwise not - let's see what the weather brings and determines whether I fly or drive.

4WD won't make a difference if the road is sheet-ice, but from personal experience in slush and non-compacted snow with traction control on, it helps a lot. I used to drive a Peugeot 205 on skinny tyres around the Alps in the 90s so have some experience of driving 'non-winter' cars in winter conditions and how to adapt driving to the conditions.
+
byke
post 21.Nov.2012, 04:06 PM
Post #4

I believe its also illegal to drive in Germany with studded tires.
+
John.Smith
post 21.Nov.2012, 06:38 PM
Post #5

Yep... that's a big no-no.
+
John.Smith
post 21.Nov.2012, 06:41 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (ShaunD @ 21.Nov.2012, 11:52 AM) *
It doesn't matter that you have 4wd, in fact that doesn't make much difference in normal driving over here during winter and the correct tyres fitted.

Would beg to differ smile.gif
AWD with studded tyres beats everything else hands down in ice, snow and general shite Winter road conditions.

I had a loan of a really nice Saab 95 turbo for a couple of weeks whilst my own was having some warranty work done... It couldn't make it up my driveway a few evenings.
+
Kitale
post 21.Nov.2012, 07:21 PM
Post #7

It is illegal not to have some form of winter tyres on the car. You need studded or snow (friction) tyres - even if it is not snowy, it is mandatory to have them during the winter season.
+
sometimesinsweden
post 21.Nov.2012, 08:12 PM
Post #8

That's not what it states in English on the link posted:

Passenger car class 1*, passenger car class 2 (house cars) with a total weight of 3,5 tonnes maximum, light weight lorries or light weight buses, are required to have winter tyres or equal equipment during the period December 1st to March 31st, if the road conditions demand it. If the vehicle also carries a trailer, the rule also applies for the trailer.

So who is right?
+
Johno
post 21.Nov.2012, 08:36 PM
Post #9

The Swedish version says that winter tyres are required if Vinterväglag applies. And in explanation

Vinterväglag råder när det finns snö, is, snömodd eller frost på någon del av
vägbanan. Det är Polisen som avgör om det råder vinterväglag på platsen

Winter Road Condition exists when there is snow, ice, slush or frost on any part of
roadway. It is the police who decide whether there is a winter road conditions at the site.

ie Its not your judgement, but the police, and thats likely to be a blanket decision once winter sets in. They wont go out and say, ooo, its a bit icy this morning, so it applies today.
+
Kitale
post 21.Nov.2012, 09:32 PM
Post #10

I was in the same position as the UK visitor a few years ago. I talked with the police in Malmö before coming here and they said that I must have winter tyres. Anyway, given the conditions we can get here there is no way I would even consider driving on any other tyre during winter. And if you have an accident of any type you will be in trouble if you don't have them (insurance). It's not worth the risk. It can be clear one day and arctic conditions the next.
+
skogsbo
post 21.Nov.2012, 09:53 PM
Post #11

I presume you have loads of stuff, or passengers, otherwise it's cheaper to hire, than pay ferries, fuel, tolls etc...
+
Real Scotsman
post 22.Nov.2012, 10:45 AM
Post #12

Actually

Swedish registered cars are required by law to have either studded tyres or unstudded friction tyres bearing the following mark, M+S, M-s, M.S, M&S, MS or Mud and Snow fitted from 1 December to 31 March when there are winter road conditions. You are required to use winter tyres throughout this period, even in good conditions.

Although foreign registered cars are exempt from this requirement, it would be advisable to have winter tyres fitted.

so my UK registered discovery does not need winter tyres fitted, although i have as needed new tyres anyway.

it is seen as impractical to force a temporary visitor to purchase 5000SEK of tyres for a short visit.

you do then run the greater risk of sliding off the road should the conditions be poor.
+
ShaunD
post 22.Nov.2012, 11:36 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Real Scotsman @ 22.Nov.2012, 11:45 AM) *
Actually so my UK registered discovery does not need winter tyres fitted, although i have as needed new tyres anyway.it is seen as impractical to force a temporary visitor to ... (show full quote)

Well, again taken from the link above:

'Foreign and Swedish passenger cars and light weight lorries travelling to and from Sweden are also comprised by the Swedish rules regarding winter tyres. Such vehicles need to have winter tyres with a tread depth of at least 3 millimetres during the time that the rule applies, which is during winter road conditions between December 1st to March 31st'

The law appears to have changed now as a couple of years ago I know you did not need them, looking at the above now though yes you do need them.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists
Click here for the full job description