• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Racist comment to

On phone

Pursuivant
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:05 PM
Post #16

You mean like all the Swedes in the south of France who can't speak French? or the Swedes who moved to Thailand but can't be bothered to learn Thai? Or the ones in Spain who can't speak Spanish?.

Yes, especially those that DEMAND the French, Spanish and Thai authorities service them in Swedish. indeed the Thai authorities will have all their forms in Swedish, and 1001 other languages don't they?
Go to the top of the page
+
Pursuivant
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:18 PM
Post #17

I replied to the original post by @voyager in which the person he/she has spoken to had said that you 'MUST' speak Swedish. That is being rude.

Rude is not knowing a language and making assumptions of what is being said. In Swedish, man måste do quite a lot of things. It sounds silly half the time, if you'd translate to English all the time "you must" - its a similar figure of speech what the French ask c'est possible all the time, in English you wouldn't go asking "is it possible" all the time either.

I don't want to learn it and will NOT too.
So what makes you then qualified in assessing what is rude or not?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:22 PM
Post #18

Soooo, I guess these words have never been uttered:

Speak English!...You bloody WOG! cool.gif
+
byke
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:28 PM
Post #19

French in many regards is a language that has a big foot print both in france and across the globe.

Whereas Swedish, be it right or wrong is a micro language with very little value (on a world scale).

However, in a competitive world in terms of businesses transactions - if a company or its employees are unwilling to help and go as far as to push their political values on to their customers. I would advise you take you business elsewhere, while informing the owners of said business the reason for your move.

Sweden in itself is by no means an ethnically pure nation, and while there are many who hold strong views regarding language & culture etc - they are not, to a large extent the majority. The majority they usually hold is more so the footprint representing the educated class (or lack of).

So yes, there are so called natives with chips on their shoulders ... But ignore them.
As by dropping down to their level only makes you as bad as them.

Instead its much better to put them in their place by going over their head and belittling them.
We may be the foreigners, but we shouldn't loose our dignity by sinking to their levels. And odds are most of the people high up in the employment scale are educated well enough to not share such pathetically small minded employees. And if for any reason the person who is in charge of personnel shares the same views as his employees ... walk on by.

As by refusing to use such services will only help strangle such views and ensure such environments don't have the space to grow and spread.

/Chin up - and remember to smile.
+
byke
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:30 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 23.Nov.2012, 03:22 PM) *
Soooo, I guess these words have never been uttered:. Speak English!...You bloody WOG! cool.gif

I don't think there is a justification in using such racially derogatory language.
And I hope others view it in the same way as I do.
+
Pursuivant
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:35 PM
Post #21

However, in a competitive world in terms of businesses transactions

The transaction is being made in the local jurisdiction. Swedish laws are in the Swedish language. So, in other words, you are willing to sign a paper without understanding what it says? A translation is always that - a translation, the nuances and terminology don't necessarily translate, the intention might be different than what it reads for someone else.
+
Pursuivant
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:36 PM
Post #22

Instead its much better to put them in their place by going over their head and belittling them.

I think the SverigeDemokrats will put you in your place, Byke. ;D
+
byke
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:37 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 23.Nov.2012, 03:35 PM) *
The transaction is being made in the local jurisdiction. Swedish laws are in the Swedish language. So, in other words, you are willing to sign a paper without understanding wh ... (show full quote)

Yiddish is also an official language in Sweden.
Based on the same basis you claim, I would request you follow Swedish law and ensure that your response is done so in Yiddish.
+
byke
post 23.Nov.2012, 03:39 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 23.Nov.2012, 03:36 PM) *
I think the SverigeDemokrats will put you in your place, Byke. ;D

Your place has already been earmarked since you are having to converse in ENGLISH to get your views across.
Who's now been put in their place now "Bitch".
+
Snood
post 23.Nov.2012, 04:10 PM
Post #25

almost every time I have interacted with a company by phone the person at the other end has been happy to talk English, sure there bay be varying standards but one thing is for sure, their English is better than my Swedish, I'm aware that it's an extra effort for them and I certainly appreciate it and try my hardest to be understanding. Once or twice i've come across someone on the phone who speaks pretty much no English and each time they asked me to wait and put me on to someone who could speak to me.

Certain colleagues, when I remind them that the conversation which was previously in English which is now in Swedish will sometimes say that I should learn Swedish, or I ask what someone said they say I live in Sweden now and I should understand.. THAT can be annoying, very frustrating and upsetting. They are well aware that I am attending classes and that I'm making progress but then come across cold like that sometimes. I'm sure it's partly joking but do detect some seriousness in it too, which barely seems understanding on their part.
+
icedearth
post 23.Nov.2012, 04:34 PM
Post #26

I do not think the personal banker reaction was coming from a racism point of view. I believe the banker was afraid to transmit the information in English as his second language. He probably thought there will be misunderstanding.

If I am a bank manager, I would hire personal bankers with many language skills to target customers from all walks of life.
+
Investor612
post 23.Nov.2012, 07:03 PM
Post #27

I don't think the comment about speaking Swedish was racist, though it was bad business.

If I were going to live in Sweden I would make the effort to learn the language.

As I only have visited for a couple weeks at a time every few years, I haven't seen the need.
+
Social Hypocrisy
post 24.Nov.2012, 01:00 AM
Post #28

Simple answer which can be universally applied. If they are making money from you and wont speak English take your business elsewhere. If you are trying to get something from them, you have to play by their rules.
+
frenchviking
post 24.Nov.2012, 04:07 PM
Post #29

Hi all,

I am not offended when Swedes do not want to speak english with me... If they were in France they would not get very far without speaking French...
I actually think that Sweden is great when it comes to speaking english, having a lot of services in english and help from many organisations in english.
It is not perfect however so not all will speak english or be happy to do so. And some may even get tired of foreign languages spoken in their country... is that such a crime?
This is not racism...

I hate it when people hide behind racism, this is cowardly and annoying.

We are in Sweden, we are foreigners, let's be a little grateful that Sweden accepted us here!

If you are not happy, you can move to another country! No one keeps you here...

Sorry for being so direct by I am tired to hear people take the absolute piss...
+
whoye
post 24.Nov.2012, 04:29 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (byke @ 23.Nov.2012, 03:39 PM) *
Your place has already been earmarked since you are having to converse in ENGLISH to get your views across.. Who's now been put in their place now "Bitch".

laugh.gif priceless
you have gotten my utmost respect byke. I wish you all the best
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com