Britain to Sweden 2013 Discuss - The Local
  • Sweden's news in English
The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Britain to Sweden 2013

How do I go about sueing a Swedish Company?

post 24.Nov.2012, 04:55 PM
Post #1
Joined: 24.Nov.2012


I have recently registered on and would like to know if there is anyone on this forum who lives
in Sweden who could offer me some advice to legal proceedings against a company.

I would like to know the following:

- could I issue legal proceedings from the United Kingdom, through the small claims court?
- Is there some type of court similar in Sweden which I could issue a claim against a company?

I have very little knowledge with the legal side of Sweden and with courts in general. I have gone through the Small Claims process in the United Kingdom in 2009 and other then applying for Judgment in Default, and having the case set aside for then a more length court process, I have no other experience with litigation.

Thank you for your responses any help or advice is appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
post 24.Nov.2012, 05:20 PM
Post #2
Location: Skåne
Joined: 1.Oct.2005

If it's a consumer matter then you should contact The European Consumer Centre in the UK and they will liaise on your behalf with their counterparts here in Sweden to resolve the problem for you.

If that is unsuccessful in resolving the problem then they should be able to advise you on what further steps to take.

If it is a question that you wish to sue for a refund then you would probably make an application to Kronofogden which is the state debt collection agency here in Sweden.
Go to the top of the page
post 24.Nov.2012, 07:03 PM
Post #3
Joined: 27.Jul.2007

If it's a dispute between a consumer and a business operator, you can file a claim to The National Board for Consumer Disputes (Allmänna Reklamationsnämnden) free of charge. All serious businesses in Sweden follow the ruling of this public authority.
Go to the top of the page
post 24.Nov.2012, 07:27 PM
Post #4
Location: Skåne
Joined: 1.Oct.2005

Redblue when it is an inter-country dispute within the EU the correct procedure is to make the claim via the European Consumer Centre in your country of residence (I posted the link to the UK one above) the whole system has been set up by the EU to make the procedure as simple as possible for the consumer. If the OP approaches Allmänna Reklamationsnämnden directly they will (or should) direct them to contact the UK European Consumer centre.
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options