• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Paid internship in the U.S.

Is it possible? Advice needed

NataBee
post 26.Nov.2012, 01:54 AM
Post #1

Hi The Local-ers,

I am currently in my third year of International Tourism Management bachelor program in Sweden. It is becoming more and more obvious for me that the chance I got to stay in Sweden with a job I enjoy and to live in a community I belong to is near zero, I am looking at other options.

I don't believe in the "American dreams". I just simply believe that living this life is not much different from going out on an adventure in the wild, when out in the wild, the closer you are to the water sources the more chance you stay alive. In this case, jobs are the water sources. I simply realize those "water sources" in Sweden are limited & drying up to certain "adventurers". Now I've learned that getting a decent job without having practical experience is tough, therefore, I'm looking for a paid internship somewhere so that I can earn some money to live on and some experience to fill in my CV afterwards. The opportunity is nearly zero again for me in Sweden. So I'm considering the States.

To internet friends on The Local who have knowledge in this area, could you please give me an advice? Is it possible to get a decent paid internship in USA, and which websites are reliable to start with? I've done some Googling, yet I'm concerned whether or not those websites are legitimate.

Thank you so much!
Go to the top of the page
+
NataBee
post 26.Nov.2012, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Anyone please? smile.gif
+
texaslass
post 26.Nov.2012, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Typically, internships are gained by going through your university's career center. The university career center will help place you with an internship. However, since you are not a student at an American university, this will require more work on your part. What I would do is search for which universities in the US that offer tourism management degrees. Then, search which companies their career center has connections with. Then, contact those companies HR department's student liaison and say that you would like to be considered for an internship. Of course, you may have to interview with these companies, so it is best to plan it so that you can do all your interviews at the same time.

I do not know if an internship requires a work visa. For foreign students attending American universities, they can do the internship with a student visa, since an internship is typically required in American studies. So, I do not know how you will secure a visa.

Another alternative is to apply to an American university and attend for one semester and really work the career center that one semester in hopes of landing either an internship or a job.
+
NataBee
post 26.Nov.2012, 12:39 PM
Post #4

Thank you Texaslass for your advice.

Unfortunately my school in Sweden doesn't help students with internships or whatsoever, international students I mean.

Yes I need a J-1 visa for internship in America.

I saw on the website usa-internships.com that it is possible to apply for paid internships in the States through them. Is this reliable or just a scam?
+
wondering
post 26.Nov.2012, 01:02 PM
Post #5

Is it okay to ask which university you are in ?

I saw that Stockholm University had internships options for students studying business at the Masters level. I didn't see Tourism but was curious about what your university is.
+
NataBee
post 26.Nov.2012, 01:04 PM
Post #6

My school is Högskolan Dalarna. Since I'm at bachelor level, it is an issue.
+
wondering
post 26.Nov.2012, 03:56 PM
Post #7

Could you try and look here http://www.studyinsweden.se/How-To-Apply/Traineeships/ ?

It is in Sweden and is worth trying .

But of course if you decide to uproot and go to US then of course it is a bit different.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 26.Nov.2012, 06:30 PM
Post #8

Try Canada or Australia; they offer working holiday visas for Swedish citizens.
+
wunmi
post 26.Nov.2012, 08:33 PM
Post #9

Hi,

I studied at Högskolan Dalarna (Masters Level) and did my internship in the Uk. What you will havve to do is speak with your head of department first and they will help you with the necessary contacts you need, and yes, the university does help international students with internship information except you have not been studying fulltime or do not have the necessary grades.

Mvh
+
NataBee
post 26.Nov.2012, 08:33 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 26.Nov.2012, 06:30 PM) *
Try Canada or Australia; they offer working holiday visas for Swedish citizens.

Oh I forgot to mention, I am not Swede, non European in fact.
+
Puffin
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:23 AM
Post #11

Many Universities will advise international students on internships that are available to them - in fact I examined a Masters thesis recently of an international student who had done just that

Where I think the sticking point will be is your desire for a paid internship - as the vast majority of these have disappeared - especially since the current recession started - indeed many companies now demand that *you* pay *them* for the internship.

So going to the USA and finding a well paid internship may be very difficult unless you are lucky enough to be accepted onto one of the international scholarship programmes (although some prefer masters students) that pays a small living grants - most students take out loans to do internships.

If you are at Högskolan Dalarna you are in the middle of tourist Sweden - couldn't you find a part time internship in the tourism industry in dalarna?
- during the ski season in Borlänge/Grönklitt/Sälen/Idre/Grövelsjön?
- on in the summer in the Siljan or Idre areas?

Many Swedish students do internships through their Embassy or their own Embassy if not Swede - couldn't you contact your embassy in various countries and ask about internships in the department that promotes tourism or if your country has Tourism offices aborad?

It is not easy to find though so it is going to take a lot of persistence - for example my neice in the UK has finally found an unpaid textile internship - and this despite 7 years of full and part time retail experience and international volunteer work! But she has had to borrow to do it
+
ahm
post 27.Nov.2012, 02:49 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (NataBee @ 26.Nov.2012, 07:33 PM) *
Oh I forgot to mention, I am not Swede, non European in fact.

Working holidays scheme is only for swedes between 18 -30 years ,

In my opinion , its hard to your university to find any internship in USA whether paid or unpaid.

Cause the system of universities in Sweden is different than USA

USA is a non EU country , and for Sweden they dont recognize or cooperate with any thing came from Non-EU countries (officially)( except your previous study certificate.

No English ,no exchange for driving licenses ,limited or rare access to any jobs in English ,thats in SWEDEN & EU attitude in general ,,((((some EU they exchange D.L for USA ,CANADA ,AUS,NZ))))

However,sweden is better than many EU countries ,some countries they dont accept immigrants(exteme tough rules) and dont accept Dual citizenships , and they are bad while speaking English so .many examples,,,,Austria ,Norway,Germany,

Some poor and useless countries found/exist in EU ,so many examples...Romania ,Greece,Spain,Bulgaria.

And there are slightly good countries like Belgium wich require 3 years residence or less for citizenship,

Wishing for you good luck ...
+
NataBee
post 27.Nov.2012, 07:29 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Puffin @ 27.Nov.2012, 11:23 AM) *
Many Universities will advise international students on internships that are available to them - in fact I examined a Masters thesis recently of an international student who h ... (show full quote)

@Puffin:
- As I mentioned, I am getting a Bachelor degree, not a Master degree which leads to better opportunities in Sweden. But since I'm fed up with schools (spent 2.5 years doing International Affairs & this 3 years Tourism), Master degree is out of the question. I won't waste any more time reading course books. Again, getting an internship in Sweden with a bachelor degree is tough. Right now, the school has given us a list of partners companies that offer internships to students of Högskolan, non of those companies need English speaking interns.
- All of the places you mentioned around here are not even up for speaking English, let alone taking English speaking interns. And even if they do (once in a blue moon), they won't pay me any money I'm quite sure. By next summer, when I will have been graduated, I won't be able live on an unpaid internship, in a land like Sweden.
- And finally, as I wrote in the OP, it's the career issue & the culture issue that discourage me from settling here.

QUOTE (ahm @ 27.Nov.2012, 02:49 PM) *
In my opinion, its hard to your university to find any internship in USA whether paid or unpaid.No English ,no exchange for driving licenses ,limited or rare access to any job ... (show full quote)

- Exactly, since this university has no partnership with anything in the States, I'm trying to find a way by myself.

It seems now that I can apply for an paid internship replacement in USA through a legitimate website, pay them a certain amount of fee (about $3,000) for their replacement service, J1 (1 year) Visa support & insurance. The wage will vary from $1200 to $2000/ month for 40 hours per week, depends on departments.
That is the only way I could see right now.
+
ahm
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:56 PM
Post #14

Well as i said its hard,, Wich Legitimate web is usefull , i dont have an idea ,,i know many friends who searching with internship and work and applied for many companies in USA .

Most of them completed BSc i Engineering (especially Civil Engineering) ,they applied for both internship and jobs , but it seems closed path , maybe cause they dont need people outside USA and all that webs seemed as advertising for those companies and organisations..

So,nothing trusted sure through internet!!!
+
texaslass
post 28.Nov.2012, 10:46 AM
Post #15

I do not understand why you must pay a placement fee to this internship finding service. I believe you wrote that it was $3000. I do not know if this is typical, but that is quite a large sum of money.

Can you just contact the tourism companies directly, without using a placement service? Perhaps you could attend a career fair in the US and not just distribute your CV, but insist on some face time with the reps.

I have not done an internship since the dot com era, and I was paid a very handsome sum and many perks (travel, parties, wardrobe allowance, bonuses), but perhaps those days are long gone. I could be behind the times here, but I still think that you should at least be paid an intern's wages.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com