• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

UK subject moving

Supporting ourselves for a year.

Bryando
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Hi their,

Myself and my partner are UK subjects and wanting to move to Sweden in the next 5 to 8 years. We are currently at university doing nursing and law.

We would be coming to Sweden on the basis of supporting ourselves, however I have a question. How much will the Swedish authority be looking at us to have in savings to support ourselves for a year?

Do you know where we can get health insurance to cover us for the year?

After a year can we be registered as a resident of Sweden and gain a personal number? I seem to see on this forum people having issues not getting employment due to a lack of this personal number.

My partner would be hoping to get a job as a nurse. I am unsure if my law degree will help me secure employment in Sweden.

We will be using the next few years to learn Swedish.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:35 AM
Post #2

Why not learn Swedish and get jobs prior to moving? Nursing would be flexible combined with Swedish. If your wife was fluent in Swedish as a nurse the chances are she would get a job very quickly

Law would be more tricky you might need further university studies to find work in your field

Without a personal number it can be quite tricky to live here full time - for example not being entitled to various things and fully comprehensive insurance is expensive
+
Bryando
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:40 AM
Post #3

I have been left with the impression we need personal numbers a bit like the UK National Insurance Number to get jobs. From people's posts they seem to struggle to get this number when first coming into Sweden. Therefore the plan was to come to Sweden and use the year to settle in etc.

However if we could get jobs without this number then yes, is an option!
+
Puffin
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:42 AM
Post #4

There is a Swedish course for graduates of economics, law, social science, IT & personnel management etc - but it is reserved for people with personal numbers
http://sfx-yrke.se/eng/our-courses/swedish...awyers-etc-sfej
+
Bryando
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:46 AM
Post #5

thanks
+
Puffin
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:47 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Bryando @ 27.Nov.2012, 10:40 AM) *
I have been left with the impression we need personal numbers a bit like the UK National Insurance Number to get jobs. From people's posts they seem to struggle to get thi ... (show full quote)

It is not a problem if you arrive with a job and go straight into the system

I arrived as the wife of an EU healthcare professional and had my personal number 5 days later

For students Migrationsverket demands proof hat you have 7500/month for a single person and arround 11000 as a couple - therefore for a year on an own fund permit they are probably looking for you to have a minimum of in the region of £12,000-14,000 + health insurance - without a full personal number you will need additional money to learn Swedish as SFI is reserved for people with personal numbers
+
Case officer
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:07 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Bryando @ 27.Nov.2012, 10:32 AM) *
We would be coming to Sweden on the basis of supporting ourselves, however I have a question. How much will the Swedish authority be looking at us to have in savings to support ourselves for a year?

If you have an income it should be above the level where you are entitled to social welfare. If you have savings and intend to stay indefinitely they should be enough to live off for five years. If you intend to stay for only one year the savings should be enough for one year.

Information on the minimum level for social welfare is available here:

http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/ekonomisktbi...stod/riksnormen

For a household with two adults the level for social welfare per month is 5 320 SEK + 1 040 SEK + cost for accomodation + the cost for travelling between your home and work.
+
Bryando
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:14 AM
Post #8

5 years! Are you sure?

I also thought by supporting ourselves for a year we would be able to click into the system. That being gaining a personal number.

My partner would need to take tests etc and I imagine it would make sense to seek a nursing job whilst residing in the country. However we are under the impression their will be no nursing job as no personal number!
+
skogsbo
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:53 AM
Post #9

it's more akin to chicken and egg, and varies with each office and person working there. If you planned your move here with qualifications that are in demand, some level of Swedish, cash in the bank and an insurance scheme, go face to face at Skatteverket I think in far more cases than not, you'll get a positive outcome.

it could also depend on what avenue in the world of law and nursing you both plan to follow, research what there are shortages of here, get a job in the UK to get a couple of years experience under your belt, bank some cash, learn some Swedish; a positive approach, brings positive results (usually).

if you don't get a personal number, then what have you lost, you are still both qualified in fields that are in demand globally and you speak a global language, just head somewhere else. Unless there is a special tie or pull to Sweden?
+
Yorkshireman
post 27.Nov.2012, 12:30 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bryando @ 27.Nov.2012, 11:14 AM) *
5 years! Are you sure?

Yes.

Because You say you are staying under your own means. Look at it this way, the Right of Residence is not a right as such, for everyone!, regardless of what might be promoted or people think it means... It is the Right to Reside ...if you are economically active, or have means to support yourself (eg. savings or pension etc...).
Whist the rules specifically exclude the possibility of a Member State to set a monetary amount for sufficient means, the guidelines are based around social benefit levels as being the minimum. If you intend to stay longer than 1 year, then you need to show more funds otherwise the implication is that you come with sufficient means for 1 year, and intend to claim social benefits after that, where-as the Right is only applicable if the individual is not going to become a burden on the welfare state. As economies are stretched and public spending cut, expect these rules to be applied more strictly!

With regards Law, without being more specific about what Law education it is difficult to say, what can be said is that immediately there is a difference between UKGeneral Law education and Swedish General Law education, especially due to one being focussed at Common Law and the other Civil Law. If I remember correctly You would not be able to join the Swedish Bar Association until You have taken additional education in Sweden specifically Introduction to Law, and Procedural Law, plus 3 years practise. Swedish general law education normally requires 5 years + 3 years practice.
+
Pursuivant
post 27.Nov.2012, 05:57 PM
Post #11

However we are under the impression their will be no nursing job as no personal number!

Do foreign nurses have a NI number when they step off Ryanair when they're hired to work in a NHS hospital? *

To get a PN you have to have a "reason" - having a job offer/contract signed is a "reason" enough as you need to get a salary and taxes paid. Some employers though want a PN as its required to their system (and to make sure the person is eligible to work in Sweden), so you got a catch-22. However, hospitals in Sweden just like the NHS hire foreign nurses, so they know what papers and in what order and in what office. However, the accreditation is the first formality to do. Language might be a hindrance, so I'd recommend going on a course before doing the move.

I wonder though what is your logic to get a PN with "been staying for a year", is it on the list of "reasons"?

* Answer is, no you can't get a NI number from outside the UK.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se