• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Swedish Christmas Traditions and the Julekalendern

Translation for English speakers?

mradnich
post 29.Nov.2012, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Starting December 1, Swedish children will follow "Mysteriet på Greveholm" and open the doors on their Julekalendern. Does anyone know of a source of an English translation that would allow English speaking children to participate? Sweden has such beautiful Christmas traditions, it would be wonderful to share these with all the children in Sweden!
Go to the top of the page
+
Beavis
post 29.Nov.2012, 02:57 PM
Post #2

advent calender
+
Snood
post 29.Nov.2012, 03:20 PM
Post #3

As has already been said it's "Advent Calendar" and you'd be hard pushed to find an English speaking child who does not know what one is, at least one which comes from England, I don't know about America.

If however you're talking about the low budget tripe called "Julkalender" which is broadcast on SVT every year... English speaking kids aren't missing out on anything worthwhile there.

Even worse is the programming at 3pm on Christmas eve on SVT... it's like they've ran out of budget for the year so just re-broadcast some rubbish they licensed half a century ago. I just don't get it.
+
Monark540
post 29.Nov.2012, 03:37 PM
Post #4

@OP - you and the kids may be in luck - I found several episodes on YouTube with English subtitles - they were uploaded by totalmate.
+
Puffin
post 29.Nov.2012, 06:18 PM
Post #5

Don't English speaking kids learn Swedish in school/nursery?

I would think that most people could follow the gist of these short episodes
+
Yorkshireman
post 29.Nov.2012, 08:02 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Monark540 @ 29.Nov.2012, 03:37 PM) *
@OP - you and the kids may be in luck - I found several episodes on YouTube with English subtitles - they were uploaded by totalmate.

Check that it isn't last years that is on the net ... this years hasn't been broadcast yet, so I would be surprised if English subtitled ones were available already!

QUOTE (Snood @ 29.Nov.2012, 03:20 PM) *
Even worse is the programming at 3pm on Christmas eve on SVT... it's like they've ran out of budget for the year so just re-broadcast some rubbish they licensed half a ... (show full quote)

It's called Tradition wink.gif ...could be worse... at least it is more interesting to have cartoons, rather than like in the UK where the Queen gives Her annual Christmas speech on Christmas Day ...knowing that everyone is already p*ssed by then biggrin.gif
+
Mzungu
post 29.Nov.2012, 09:48 PM
Post #7

Tradition well...when will it happen??

Attached Image

*the old goat was closest last year* ::wink::
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 29.Nov.2012, 10:08 PM
Post #8

If that keeps up...I will run out of relatives! laugh.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options