• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Study Residence Permit Biometric

Is it possible to take after arrival?

kulaki0
post 29.Nov.2012, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Hi folks,

I have a friend from US who will come to study to Sweden next semester. Unfortunately he wasn't clever enough to think he might need a residence permit. So most probably if he applies now it will arrive after the semester has started...

Now that the visas have been replaced by a ID card with biometric data, is it possible to make that card once he is already in Sweden? American citizens can enter Sweden without visa if not planning to stay longer than 3 months. Or that can only be done at the embassy in US?

Sounds like not a very legal path, so I would guess that it is not possible. But I heard from people that arranged the biometric card once they were here.

What could happen to him if he comes and stays longer that it is allowed?
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 29.Nov.2012, 08:53 PM
Post #2

He will need a student visa, residences permit before he can study here and cannot apply for one while in Sweden. He cannot apply now and enter Sweden and attend school legally before visa is granted. However once obtained the biometrics can be done here. Without already having applyed, been accepted to the school and then applying for residence permit including having 73000sek in bank per year of study plus tuition and approved by Migrasionsverket he will not be studying here next term. Not a logic major I presume.
If he overstays he will be caught and deported and faces 5 year Schengen (Europe) ban
+
kulaki0
post 29.Nov.2012, 09:13 PM
Post #3

thanks for the answer johnjohn!

He has been already accepted here in the school (it is an exchange program so no fees). What I meant is that he would apply now to get the student residence permit (and provide all the stuff) but the resolution will be sent most probably after the semester starts. Then he would need to go to the embassy to take biometrics as it states here: http://www.swedenabroad.com/en-GB/Embassie...s-for-Students/ So the idea was that he gets the resolution by post to Sweden and completes the process taking the biometrics here. But I though already that he would have issues with the date of the stamp in his passport.
+
johnjohn
post 29.Nov.2012, 09:21 PM
Post #4

As it is an exchange program and not the normal course study I simply do not know the answer, sorry. Others members like Puffin or Yorkshireman surly will. The problem might be that here in Sweden absolutely everything that needs to be done requires a person number or a co-ordination number. Registration at the school, getting accommodations, library card, bank account ect. Without this he will not be able to do anything thus without the visa no number. Good luck.
+
johnjohn
post 29.Nov.2012, 09:43 PM
Post #5

One other thought. Student visas are often granted on an as needed basis. Although the time is very short especially with the holidays perhaps working with both schools there is still enough time.
+
Yorkshireman
post 30.Nov.2012, 12:20 AM
Post #6

If your friend is a US Citizen, then they do not need a visa to travel-to/Enter Sweden. In that case, they should make their application for the Student Permit at the Embassy in the US, and once they get the Yes decision, they can travel to Sweden and go to the Migrationsverket office here for the Biometrics to be taken, and the completed residence card will be sent to their address here in Sweden.
+
Case officer
post 30.Nov.2012, 12:31 AM
Post #7

If it was my friend I would advise him to apply online for a residence permit. US citizens can deal with the biometrics and the residence permit card in Sweden if the application is approved, just visit the Migration Board's permit unit and show the US passport. I don't expect that anybody will bother with the arrival stamp in his passport.

Also, US citizens can stay for 90 days without a visa. During that time it is legal to study. If he stays longer and is caught, he will get a deportion order and he will find it difficult to enter the Schengen area in the future.
+
kulaki0
post 30.Nov.2012, 05:02 PM
Post #8

Thanks everyone for the answers!

I think I will advise him to apply online and if it doesn't arrive on time to travel anyways and try to fix it here. If it doesn't work he can choose to leave earlier(after 3 months) or take the risk to stay longer.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply