• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Still desperately struggling to get Personnummer

Have a job offer, have money yet no PN so far...

kityatyi
post 3.Dec.2012, 09:49 AM
Post #1

Hello all!
I already posted a few times here about my struggle to apply for a Swedish Personnummer (from now on, PN). Came here on the 6th of November, since then, Skatteverket refused to even process my application because they needed more documents. I almost gave it all up. However on the 22nd of November I got a great job offer (for me at least it is great) at a great hotel. Also, I managed to collect all my money on my bank account so I have more than 150K Swedish Krona, and an official statement from my bank. I also have a brand new EHIC card. The hotel that offered me the job even wrote an official "proof" with signature, and all the stuff, that they want to hire me. So with all of these, I went to Skatteverket again, on the 23rd, and finally, they processed my application. But they said, it will take 2-3 weeks. Also the lady who dealt with my paperwork said she is pretty sure I will get my PN as I have everything they need: money, job offer, even insurance (EHIC). After that I kept visiting Skatteverket to enquire how is it going regarding my application - I wanted to make sure it goes as fast as possible because the hotel said they cannot hire me until I do not have a PN so they asked me to please try to make them decide quickly, because they want me to start as soon as possible. After visiting the Skatteverket office three times, I got the phone number of the deciding officer. I called her but she said "sorry, I cannot give you a PN because what we need is a job contract, and regarding the sufficient funds, the money is okay but the EHIC card does not qualify". I then kindly asked her to please help because as she can see, I have a job offer and I could start working right now, but all these administraton is holding me back and this was my dream to live and work in Sweden but despite the job offer I cannot work if I am not given a PN. The lady said, okay, she will try to help, she will call my prospective employer on Monday (today) and then she will be able to tell me more... Here we are now, I am excitedly waiting for her call. But why does she want to call the hotel, when I already provided an official letter written by the restaurant manager of the hotel stating that they want to employ me. I can only hope that Skatteverket will finally give me a PN and will not destroy a perfect job offer. Please, if you can give me some suggestions what can I do in case the lady says "no" - what else can I try to convince her, what else could be said and done so I get this job? I understand that I do not need a PN to work, but hey, employers want it, what can I do? In case the lady says "no" I think I can try replacing my EHIC card with some insurance which they accept, does anyone know an insurance package that 100% works and will be accepted (along with my 150K Swedish Krona).
Thank you very much for your kind help,
Kityatyi
Go to the top of the page
+
c_s_s
post 3.Dec.2012, 10:35 AM
Post #2

It really surprises me how useless they are at giving the correct information at Skatteverket..
It took me months to get my PN.

If you have 150K Kr then you don't need a job offer, I applied this way and was granted a PN. You have sufficient funds to provide for yourself.

The EHIC is not a form of insurance (at least according to the swedes) If you're from the UK, you need to call DWP and request an S1 form, if you've paid enough NI contributions, then you will be entitles to it. I think this form is called the same thing across Europe, so wherever you are from, that is what you need!

Go back with that, a bank statement showing your available funds and the letter from work. You will then need an address, either a name on the door, or c/o someone with their name on the door..

I know what it feels like, but don't be afraid to argue your case. Some people at Skatteverket seem very knowledgable, some haven't got a clue and don't seem very helpful..
+
kityatyi
post 3.Dec.2012, 10:48 AM
Post #3

Dear c_s_s,

Thank you for your kind response! Unfortunately I was working part time for the past two years before coming to Sweden (moved here from Ireland) and I am not entitled to get the S1 form because I did not pay any contribution. Therefore, my only chance seems to be:

- buying some full year insurance to complete my application on grounds of "sufficient funds" which is 150K SEK plus insurance (not sure if they accept any "commercial" insurance packages though... I have the money, but it is useless if the S1 is the only insurance that they accept. If, however they accept some commerical insurance package, I might buy something quickly.

- or, my other chance is that the lady at Skatteverket will be so kind and give me the personnummer after speaking to the hotel, so she will know that I really have a genuine job offer. She is going to call the hotel (that want to employ me) today (I can only guess why she wants to call them but she probably has a reason to do so) and after that she will call me back and let me know if she can give me the PN or not.

I just want to be prepared to be able to respond immediately.

I also heard that if there is someone who is willing to "take responsibility" over a person by stating that he or she is willing to cover any expenses for that person, that might also be a solution. My bst friend would happily write a proof that he is covering my expenses, he is ready to show his bank statement, and as far as I am aware, in this case, a standard EHIC card is enough for me. Does anyone know about this procedure, have anyone heard about this?

Thank you for your kind assistance,
Kityatyi
+
c_s_s
post 3.Dec.2012, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Thats a difficult situation. I've heard of people paying a lot of money for private medical insurance. Only to find out that it is not sufficient..
Before I found out about the S1, I went through all of this.

I think employment contract would likely be your only way forward with this.

I really wish you the best of luck, you've obviously tried really hard to find work and get set up.
Perhaps one of the more knowledgable members can offer more help..
+
kityatyi
post 3.Dec.2012, 11:01 AM
Post #5

Thank you for your advices, I will definitely know more within a few hours. It would be shocking to lose a "ready" job offer, together with all my hopes and dreams, just because of this messed up procedure.
+
mike222
post 4.Dec.2012, 01:20 AM
Post #6

hello kityatyi

we have a same story,what's happend? have you been able to get PN/job? or any good news yet.
+
kityatyi
post 4.Dec.2012, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Hi there!

I spoke with the decision making officer lady yesterday but she said she could not yet contact my prospective employer so far - so there is no final decision yet. But the lady was very helpful and I asked her to please help and she said she will do whatever she can so the hope is still alive. I will post here the final outcome.

What is the situtation with your case, do you also have a job offer but no PN?

Best regards,
Kityatyi
+
Yorkshireman
post 4.Dec.2012, 09:53 AM
Post #8

The reason they need the job contract is that by issuing a personnummer they are entering You into the Swedish Population Register, and confirming that You are Resident in Sweden. To do that under EU Right of Residence as a worker, You must have a job contract otherwise You are still under the 6 months as a job seeker.

It is not the Tax Office that is the issue here, it is that employers could just as easily give you a binding job contract, rather than an offer, without You having a personnummer. Before the 1st month of employment is over, You would have your personnummer issued.

From the Tax Office perspective, an offer could be worth less than the paper it is written on, and could be viewed as a means for unscrupulous (fake) employers to help people get the personnummer, if they just gave out numbers based on offers.

It is not easy for You sad.gif ...but unfortunately there are those that go from country to country and abuse the system(s) making it tougher for All of Us sad.gif
+
kityatyi
post 4.Dec.2012, 10:06 AM
Post #9

According to your thoughts, I think there is a hope though. Because, in this case, the Skatteverket decision making officer wants to contact my prospective employer to verify the validity of the job offer, or maybe to give them advices. Whatever is the case, it seems that she really wants to help, which, in itself is a good sign. I hope that she can talk to the hotel soon and they will come up with a fast solution so I can start working. And then, it is time to celebrate:-)
+
varrogep
post 5.Dec.2012, 11:57 AM
Post #10

Hi kityatyi,

is there any news from Skatteverket? We are in the similar situation... and I'm just curious.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se