• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Car import from England

Engine Oil Sump / Block Heater

John.Smith
post 3.Dec.2012, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Howdy,
I met a lad who just moved over from London and he brought his UK car with him (Diesel Primera 2.2). Just wondering if any of you have ever fitted a engine heater and if so what do you recommend?

I was looking at this type of solution (heating patch for the sump) and was wondering if anyone here has tried anything like it? It is a hell of a lot cheaper than the block heater (standard over here) and the car is not worth the 4-600kr investment to get one fitted.
http://dieselproducts.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

Any other options I should look at for him?

//J:S:
Go to the top of the page
+
Gordy
post 3.Dec.2012, 04:03 PM
Post #2

http://shop.strato.de/epages/10116541.sf/e.../Motorvorheizer
+
rodeo al
post 3.Dec.2012, 10:14 PM
Post #3

cut the bottom hose and splice in a tube heater , cheaper than knocking out a core plug but just as effective, dont know the link but i saw one on blocket the other day
+
John.Smith
post 4.Dec.2012, 07:26 AM
Post #4

Cheers guys. The German brand that Gordy posted seems to in effect do the same thing as a Webasto heater but is electrical.... If the coolant is being heated then it also needs to be circulated in order for it to be effective so not sure that a tube heater alone is enough for a diesel engine...

Thanks for the info!
+
Gordy
post 4.Dec.2012, 10:30 AM
Post #5

Hi John, sorry I was in a bit of a rush when I posted before.

The hot frog is the cheapest solution I have found for an effective engine block heater.

Of course the downside is that you need a 240V hook up for it so for diesel engines it's more cumbersome than the webasto type heater which run on diesel.

But given it's pretty modest price I think it's a very effective solution and of course it can also be used with petrol engines.

If you Google a bit you will find plenty of reports from people who have had them fitted either professionally or DIY. Like this one for example which suggests it can be done in 20mins DIY.

The manufacturers website is here.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com