• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

UK driving licence in Sweden

How long am I allowed to drive with UK driving lic

Hede
post 3.Dec.2012, 03:45 PM
Post #1

I am moving back to Sweden and I was wondering if I could drive with my uk driving licence or do I have to apply for a Swedish driving licence ? I have heard many things from ppl saying that I could drive with it for only one year or I could just apply for a Swedish driving license and they will send me one instead of using the UK one .
Go to the top of the page
+
John.Smith
post 3.Dec.2012, 03:49 PM
Post #2

Legally you can drive with the UK license as it is a valid EU license. The 'rules' are:

1. When your UK license is due to expire, and if you are living here you *should* change it to a Swedish one.
2. The 1 year rule only applies to non-EU licenses.
3. You can do a straight swap from the UK to Swedish with no hassles and when I did it it tool 2 weeks.

You could also continue to renew your UK license if you had an address you could use in the UK.

//J:S:
+
Gordy
post 3.Dec.2012, 04:00 PM
Post #3

Did you have a driving licence when you lived here before Hede?

When my wife moved back to Sweden after being away for 19 years a new driving licence appeared in the post to her about 6 weeks after she re-registered her residency here with Skatteverket. She never applied for it or sent in her foreign driving licence or anything it just appeared!

Not sure if that is normal for returning Swedish citizens or not but that's what happened in her case.
+
Rick Methven
post 3.Dec.2012, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Same for my wife just came in the post along with our sons call up papers. He is a Swedish citizen even though he had never lived in Sweden before.
+
Hede
post 3.Dec.2012, 09:45 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 3.Dec.2012, 02:49 PM) *
Legally you can drive with the UK license as it is a valid EU license. The 'rules' are:1. When your UK license is due to expire, and if you are living here you *should ... (show full quote)

Awesome ! thank you
well you know the UK driving license is valid till 10 or more years then you renew it .
+
Hede
post 3.Dec.2012, 09:47 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Gordy @ 3.Dec.2012, 03:00 PM) *
Did you have a driving licence when you lived here before Hede?When my wife moved back to Sweden after being away for 19 years a new driving licence appeared in the post to he ... (show full quote)

No I was to young then I passed it here in England just 3 years ago .
+
Hede
post 3.Dec.2012, 09:48 PM
Post #7

thanks for your replies guys it helped a lot . cheers
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se