• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Driving and phoning

Road conditions

Sheila Craig
post 7.Dec.2012, 03:16 PM
Post #1

The road conditions are not brilliant today but I have seen at least ten people, including a bus driver, using a mobile phone. Idiotic!
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 7.Dec.2012, 03:27 PM
Post #2

Sweden has made phoning while driving mandatory.
+
Seamus Sean
post 7.Dec.2012, 04:06 PM
Post #3

I myself can`t quite get the hang of this Swedish style of driving having come from a country that has banned such practise,(so I am not from Albania) I recently asked a Swede why it has not been banned in Sweden as in most other lands, his reply was typical Swedish...

"Our government carried out a study and found that the use of cell phones while driving doesn`t increase the risk of accidents or crashing"(that´s what the guy told me anyway)

As a driver myself I find it a big distraction to even get a call on a handset and have to check to see who it is I shall either pull over to talk too or if not of high importance who it is I shall be ringing back later.

Having to remove one hand from the steering wheel for the duration of the call in order to hold my cell phone to my ear would mean I would have to either drop my phone or drive with no hands at all while changing gears, neither option being "safe" if you ask me, but hey the government said it´s ok so therefore it must be safe.

God love those poor people who have over the generations lost their ability to think freely for themselves and form individual opions and make decisions without having to wait and see what their government tells them!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 7.Dec.2012, 04:16 PM
Post #4

The main reason why it is not forbidden is likely because it would be a very unpopular decision and the few studies made in the US shows that a ban has really no effect anyway.

Personally, I use hands-free sometimes, but studies has showed that this is just as dangerous as using a regular phone. It is not what you do with your hands that matter; it is what you pay attention on.
+
Seamus Sean
post 7.Dec.2012, 04:28 PM
Post #5

A ban would work in Sweden, just look at how they pick up their dogs poo because they have been told too!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 7.Dec.2012, 04:37 PM
Post #6

There is no ban on not picking up your dog poo; it is called common courtesy, but I guess you would know nothing about that.
+
Seamus Sean
post 7.Dec.2012, 04:53 PM
Post #7

How can you say I know nothing about common courtesy, Bender?

I am brimming full of common courtesy as it happens!

I guess all those signs I see around telling us to pick up our dogs poo are just for the hell of it?

I was merely making a point that in general Swedish people follow the laws and rules laid down upon them and a ban on driving and using hand held cell phones would be no different to, lets say, putting up signs saying one must pick up their dogs poo.

If my observation has offended you to the extent that you felt the need to personaly attack me then may I suggest maybe you are not really cut out for an adult discussion Bender.
+
Migga
post 7.Dec.2012, 04:56 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 7.Dec.2012, 03:06 PM) *
I myself can`t quite get the hang of this Swedish style of driving having come from a country that has banned such practise,(so I am not from Albania) I recently asked a S ... (show full quote)

Swedish style of driving? How can you be sure that it`s Swedes who drive while on the phone? Do you stop every driver who talks on the phone and ask for his ethnicity? Considering Sweden has one of the lowest rates of traffic related deaths and it`s foreign drivers on swedish roads that are involved in more accidents per capita I would be careful when talking about a swedish style of driving.

Are you sure your friend said that? What I know the government carried out a study on the ban itself and found that it doesn`t stop people from talking on the phone while driving. That`s a big difference.
+
ddsupreme
post 7.Dec.2012, 05:20 PM
Post #9

it's amazing isn't it?

a country which has such a low drink drive limit, mandatory requirements for winter tyres, where i've had a neighbour telling me that i'm parked the wrong way on the street (a lit street ffs), seems to think it's fine to drive and use your mobile phone. a practise which is shown to be as dangerous as being over the (uk) drink drive limit.

baffling, but entirely attributable to the nation's superiority complex.
+
Seamus Sean
post 7.Dec.2012, 05:56 PM
Post #10

[quote name='Migga' date='7.Dec.2012, 03:56 PM' post='779928']
Swedish style of driving? How can you be sure that it`s Swedes who drive while on the phone? Do you stop every driver who talks on the phone and ask for his ethnicity? Considering Sweden has one of the lowest rates of traffic related deaths and it`s foreign drivers on swedish roads that are involved in more accidents per capita I would be careful when talking about a swedish style of driving.

Are you sure your friend said that? What I know the government carried out a study on the ban itself and found that it doesn`t stop people from talking on the phone while driving. That`s a big difference.
[/quote

It would be rather silly and as I have pointed out already a tad dangerous to stop drivers while on the phone, how would they drop gears, brake and pull in while holding a phone???

You say "his ethnicity" I find this rather sexist and although it can be hard to make out the sex of all the drivers I see in Swedish cars on Swedish roads I would say the females are just as bad as the males for using phones while at the wheel.

I am merely saying that as Sweden is only one of two European countries that I know of that allows such driving to go unpunished and is from as far as I can see widely practised by people in Sweden in Swedish cars on Swedish roads, a lot of whom look very Swedish to me, I may add then I shall call it "Swedish stlye of driving" I find it a bit ironic you telling me to be "careful" when saying so, but don`t speak out against the drivers using phones whilst driving!

Also I never said a friend told me that the government said it was safe, I said a Swede told me, big difference!

So it turns out this guy was wrong and infact the government said a ban wouldn`t work,so it is ok to drive with one hand on the wheel and another holding the phone to ones ear, fair enough, so that is why Swedes talk on the phone?? Their government says it is impossible to stop people doing so,so even though we all know it is dangerous the government says it will happen anyway so why ban it, I guess we shall see a lifting on the ban on drugs, hookers and all other crimes that are banned but continue to happen????

Once again I am certain that if in the morning the powers that be said that Sweden shall ban the use of mobile phones while at the wheel then it would cease...the reason being that everyone would be ratting on each other, taking down plate numbers and ringing them in, after pulling over first of course, just in case Sven Svenson was behind them and saw them on their phone whilst driving and was reporting them as they reported the car in front of them, heck you wouldn`t even need the cops to enforce the law just the inbuilt informer gene that along with driving whist on the phone seems to be such a Swedish style!!!!

And please don`t try blame the imigrants, even African states have seen to banning such a dangerous practise as driving whilst using a hand held phone!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Dec.2012, 06:11 PM
Post #11

This topic has been discussed before...however I will repeat what I do and think...when driving at night, on strange roads and even with a hint of bad weather, I don't even listen to the radio.

I think that with the speeds that are being driven, any distraction could be an invitation to grief.

You are not supposed to be entertained in any way while driving.

Concentrate on the road ahead.
+
Sheila Craig
post 7.Dec.2012, 06:31 PM
Post #12

I have an acquaintance who was hit by a car, Swedish driver, using mobile. She has so far had four operations in an attempt to repair the damage . No case for banning their use?
+
Yorkshireman
post 7.Dec.2012, 06:42 PM
Post #13

One should only create legislation for a reason. The process for most changes in Swedish legislation includes consideration of opinions/investigations done by recognised professional bodies/groups. In this case it was the Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute.

Their findings included the conclusion that ...no long-term traffic safety impact could be found for countries that have legal requirements for hands-free equipment.

(Note: the same cannot be said for drug use, hookers etc... where there is a proven damaging impact)

They recommended that the government instead engage in various actions that educate, inform and support the driver in order to manage communications in a safe manner, which was considered preferable to a prohibition of the use of communications devices while driving.
+
Seamus Sean
post 7.Dec.2012, 07:19 PM
Post #14

So a government body has told us a ban wouldn´t stop people using the phone while driving so therefore it remains ok to use a phone whilst at the wheel even though anyone with any sense at all knows it is most dangerous?

The steps taken to educate people seems not to be working, I am at a disadvantage as not having a government body`s report into just how many people on Swedish roads are still using their hand held phones but my own eyes tell me the number is quite high compared to other countries I visit where there is a ban in place.

Only today in driving conditions that could only be described as very poor I was pulling out onto a main road after waiting for a suitable break in traffic, seeing I had more than enough distance between me and the on coming car I proceeded to pull out only for to find my wheels struggle to find a grip what with all the snow and ice under, luckly I was able to stay put as the lady in the on coming volvo would have had no time to stop...she had plenty of stopping distance... but the fact she was rather busy writting, what I am sure was a very imporant text message, she didn`t even see me, who knows maybe she was replying her communication to the traffic body who are educating her.

Keep up the good work, God knows it´s needed!
+
Yorkshireman
post 7.Dec.2012, 07:38 PM
Post #15

You do not need a special legislation just to say that one cannot use a mobile when driving. Sweden's traffic law states very clearly that a driver must drive safely in traffic. If you cause an accident because you were using a phone, or doing something else completely stupid, you can be charged with negligence.

So, in reality the police could stop You today if they believe it is dangerous driving etc...
+

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com