• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

New additional name on my door

What is my landlord up to?

elk200
post 8.Dec.2012, 07:41 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

something weird is going on with my apartment and I am a bit curious what all this is about. I've been renting second-hand from a first-hand tenant in Stockholm for about 3 months now. I had confirmed that the BRF had agreed to the rental and my name is on the door, so no problems there.

Originally, the landlord's name and the name of his firm stayed on the door, and I got mail for him sometimes, which he asked me to drop off at a friend's kiosk nearby. That included mail for a "cousin" of his (or so he claimed) who had lived here before me (or so I thought). There was one weird episode where I had been out of town for awhile, not dropping off mail at the kiosk - and then that cousin called me, because he urgently needed a letter from Migrationsverket to the police (he said). Made me wonder why the guy wouldn't just have his mail delivered to himself. I made it clear to him that if he expected urgent mail, perhaps he should have it delivered to his own address, and since then, I haven't received anything else for that cousin.

Then, my landlord recently told me he had instead ordered Riksposten to forward his e-mail to where he lives now, so I am not getting mail for him anymore. However, a few days ago I got a letter from Transportstyrelsen for someone else. (That person shared the last name with the aforementioned cousin, but it's not the same last name as my landlord's.) I was a bit surprised and then actually realised someone had put that third person's name on my door. I confirmed on ratsit.se that that person is registered at my address in my flat. (To top it off, my landlord is not to be found on ratsit.se anymore, although I know he had been on there before - when making the sure the rental would be legitimate etc. To be fairly honest, I don't know my landlord's current address, I only know he bought a flat or house somewhere in a suburb.)

My landlord told me nothing of this new person, and I am wondering what's going on. Why would anyone want to use this address rather than their own? I know my landlord is not an EU citizen, I could assume this is the same for his cousin(s) - could this be some sort of uppehallsrätt scam? I am reluctant to alarm any authorities (as it was hard enough to find a rental in the first place) but I also sure as hell don't wanna be the mailman in this weird little scheme.

If anyone has any idea what might be going on here - please share.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 8.Dec.2012, 08:06 PM
Post #2

If i was you i would take the name off your door and if you receive any more dodgy letters write "okänd" and put it in the nearest letter box. But be careful as your landlord could get the hump and leave you homeless unless you have a proper contract.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 8.Dec.2012, 08:28 PM
Post #3

Aaaahh, mystery and possible conspiracy...Hey Trow!...Help!!!
+
Hisingen
post 9.Dec.2012, 10:39 AM
Post #4

Ah ha - these blasted immigrants. Now there is some hanky panky going on.

Definitely time to call in Trow. He will know what to do without a doubt. Eh.
+
John.Smith
post 10.Dec.2012, 09:21 AM
Post #5

Erm... kinda sounds like they are registering fictitious persons somehow.... Why would anyone want their mail to be sent anywhere but where they live?
+
johnjohn
post 10.Dec.2012, 09:47 AM
Post #6

Be careful. Looks like he is scamming someone. I would refuse to forward any mail to avoid being involved. Best to return to sender. For all you know he may be renting it out to multiple people as part of a rental scam or immigration scam. The main thing to do would be to ckeck the validity of your lease, remove extra name from door and change locks as per rules of the apartment authorities.
+
Shibumi
post 10.Dec.2012, 10:42 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 10.Dec.2012, 09:21 AM) *
Why would anyone want their mail to be sent anywhere but where they live?

Due to the "wonderful" rental rules in Sweden, I have friends who cannot officially register where they live. They are registered at a friend's address. To the OP, it's not OK for your landlord to add a registrant to your flat without asking/telling you about it... but given the rental market situation, it might not be worth fighting over. I would consider asking him about it though... and if it sounds really bad... start looking for another place. Otherwise, you could just adopt a don't ask, don't tell attitude.

Good luck!
+
Pursuivant
post 10.Dec.2012, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Why would anyone want their mail to be sent anywhere but where they live?

Because you need to "live" in an officially residential address for say benefits etc. Now if in parctice you live in bunk beds in the back room of a kebab shop, according to the law you can not live in a kebab shop, so you cannot register your address there. Its not like in the UK you prove your address with a gas bill, you have to be in the skatteverket computer properly in a proper address, and your address if what it says in the computer. Where you actualy sleep is usually teh same, but as said, with the rental rules on top, not always.
+
hipersons1
post 10.Dec.2012, 03:07 PM
Post #9

IDK, could be a case of trafficking in human beings for labour or sexual purposes. You might be saving someone's life by reporting it.
+
as8
post 10.Dec.2012, 03:27 PM
Post #10

+1

Please report this to the authorities.
+
Coolrunnings
post 10.Dec.2012, 03:36 PM
Post #11

In my opinion, you are simply asking for trouble by getting involved in other people's problems. Do what you think is best.
+
jostein
post 10.Dec.2012, 05:19 PM
Post #12

Probably some wellfare scam or somesuch. Think some wellfare is handed out depending on household income so officially splitting a household might be a good idea.
Anyway, getting an apartment in Stockholm is pretty hard and whats the harm in helping to carry some letters? Just talk to your landlord and let him know your on the level and happy to help? As long as you are not the beneficiary of it you can hardly get sentenced for anything is my guess?

Do NOT report it to the authorities, you will only get thrown under the bus by the authorities and upset your landlord. The state of sweden is doomed anyway, its pointless trying to prop it up by hurting yourself.
+
elk200
post 10.Dec.2012, 07:02 PM
Post #13

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I have reason to believe that the new name on the door is actually my landlord's. I know he had changed his first name when he originally came to Sweden; the first name on the letter is his former first name, but the last name is "new". The listing you get from ratsit.se for that name shows the same birthdate as my landlord's, so I am actually quite positive now that this is not a new person. Why he would change his name back now, however, is beyond me. The same goes for keeping his registration at this address although he does not live here. (From what he told me, he lives in a flat out of town, but he sure as hell doesn't live in the back of a Kebab shop.)

Can anyone shed light on how he would be scamming welfare by keeping his registration at this flat?
+
Hamsterdam
post 10.Dec.2012, 07:18 PM
Post #14

You must have the landlords phone number surely? call him.
+
intrepidfox
post 10.Dec.2012, 07:36 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (elk200 @ 10.Dec.2012, 07:02 PM) *
Can anyone shed light on how he would be scamming welfare by keeping his registration at this flat?

I wouldn´t speculate on what he does. I agree with the other post. Ring your landlord or as i said in my other post write "okänd" on the letter and put it in the letter box
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com