• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Santa Claus or Mary Christmas?

Gender equality gone to far?

Seamus Sean
post 8.Dec.2012, 09:07 PM
Post #1

I took my young kids to see the "big man" himself today as promised, there was no way I was going to forget about this promise, from early morn the little ones talked of nothing else.

"what will you ask him?" my youngest asked his big brother.

"I´ll ask him for...(the list is quite long)..." he replied.

On the way to the store they chatted away together in the back of the car,

"I wonder what he looks like"
"Will he know my name"
"will his reindeers be there"

And so on...now as you can see the little ones refer to St.Nick as being male, as me myself would do also and infact always have. I´ve seen images of the guy on Christmas cards, wrapping paper, cola bottles, socks, jumpers, ties posters I´ve see the man in movies, cartoons, TV shows and advertisements and he has always been a larger than life male, heck even his names, St. Nicholas or Father Christmas would say this is a male.

Not in the toy store we went too, nope, the big man was a little woman, the look of disapointment on the kids face was clear to see, I was a bit too taken a back myself to do much more than nod a hello.

Of course the questions started on the way home, "Why was Santa sounding like a woman?"
"How come Santa was so small?"
"Was that real?"

I would love if kids could believe in Santa for years and years, the magic and wonder of Christmas creates memories that stay with us forever and seeing this wonder being recreated on the faces of my youngest is a joy to be hold.
If I had know the store were going to have a little woman sitting in for Santa I would have steered clear.

I am all for gender equality, I´ve no problem with woman priests or female welders, not what so ever, but this is surely one role that should be kept for men only...what do you think???
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 8.Dec.2012, 09:55 PM
Post #2

It's actually really sad when so many adult agendas need to force their own issues onto listening children to make them feel better.

Having a pre op transgendered Midget from a warm part of the planet who is allergic to animal fur and appears with a broom wearing bumless PVC pants and references to dildo wangling to address a personal issue towards children just in case 1 out of a 1000 000 may be as f*cked up as the rebranded politically correct and all swedish santa is ridiculous.

But then again this is Sweden.
Warts and all.
+
byke
post 8.Dec.2012, 09:56 PM
Post #3

/ half assed
+
Seamus Sean
post 8.Dec.2012, 11:49 PM
Post #4

I didn´t think of it being a "Swedish thing" to be honest, I was just disapointed, it is hard enough to make the innocent of kids last beyond 6 or 7 these days.

Has anyone else had a similar visit to Father Christmas only to find a woman with a fake beard in his place?
+
Seamus Sean
post 9.Dec.2012, 04:56 PM
Post #5

No one?

Was it just me so?
+
klubbnika
post 9.Dec.2012, 09:34 PM
Post #6

Seamus Sean, are you British/Irish?
+
Beavis
post 9.Dec.2012, 10:36 PM
Post #7

time to go with the old santas "helpers" routine..typical Swedish nonsesnse
+
John.Smith
post 10.Dec.2012, 12:40 PM
Post #8

I would be seriously peeved if that happened to my kids. The shop could at least have made a vague attempt to pull a passable Santa...
+
John.Smith
post 10.Dec.2012, 12:50 PM
Post #9

A little side story:
Last Xmas, we celebrated Julafton at my Sister in laws home with her grown up kids and her husband. I had my two kids (3 and 5) with me and of course we had planned the usual visit from Santa to hand out the presents.
In my wife's family, they have for years used a special Rubber Santa mask, it is incredibly realistic and the beard and all look quite life-like smile.gif

Anyway, 'Santa' called to the door and handed out all the presents. Santa spoke with a funny accent but made himself understood. It was great fun and the kids went wild. On the way home in the car, my son (5 y.o.) turned around and asked, "Dad, I didn't know that Santa was black?"... My sister in law's husband arranged for a mate from work (from Africa originally) to be Santa, in fairness he did a great job and he did everything he could to conceal his identity or anything else that might betray the fact he was just a guy in mask. Unfortunately for him my little fella is quite observant and noticed his neck line which was uncovered.

My response to my son was that Santa has so many homes to visit that he sometimes has to get his friends to help him out. He seemed to accept this... I am hoping to get a few more years out of Santa but suspect that now he is 6 this may be last 'Santified' Xmas for him sad.gif
+
Seamus Sean
post 10.Dec.2012, 02:49 PM
Post #10

You would think that a plump older gentleman would be easy to find and book for this task. I have never seen a female Santa before, is it something a kin to that Toy store magazine showing girls playing with guns and boys with dolls and prams I wonder?
+
John.Smith
post 10.Dec.2012, 02:59 PM
Post #11

I would say it is more to do with equal opportunities for employment and also over zealous implementation of gender equality legislation.

I would hate to see their version of the tooth fairy...
+
John.Smith
post 10.Dec.2012, 03:01 PM
Post #12

Something like this maybe?

Attached Image

+
Hisingen
post 10.Dec.2012, 06:16 PM
Post #13

No not that - that's klubbknickers.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Dec.2012, 06:20 PM
Post #14

Androgyny and multiculturism rule...

Men turn in your epidermis and gonads, as they are redundant! laugh.gif ...or not!
+
Hisingen
post 10.Dec.2012, 06:22 PM
Post #15

I was going to add something about Hen Christmas, but then the thought struck me, with all this de-personalization and de-Christianization we can hardly say Saint, or Christmas nowadays, so what in heck are we going to say hereafter.
Julhen perhaps? Since jul roughly translates to yule and by that we think of log - treetime perhaps ? ? ? ? ? ?
Then we can call the old 'person' in white whiskers for 'The Logger', or 'The Carpenter'. Heavens but the mind boggles at the thought. rolleyes.gif
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply