• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

No turkey for Swedes.

Money for old rope

byke
post 15.Dec.2012, 12:26 PM
Post #1

I wonder how many Swedes will boycott eating Turkey this Christmas, after yet another country (Turkey) pulled out of the Eurovision song contest.

Not looking rosy for Sweden's investment.

http://en.apa.az/news/184452
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Dec.2012, 02:16 AM
Post #2

Too bad your joke falls flat since Swedes don't eat turkey for Christmas...
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Dec.2012, 05:16 AM
Post #3

Bykeism...at it's finest! laugh.gif
+
byke
post 16.Dec.2012, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Countries listed below who have specifically chosen not to be part of Swedens Eurovision.
I don't think Eurovision has ever had so many countries pull out at one time.

#Great investment

Andorra
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Czech Republic
Greece
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Monaco
Morocco
Poland
Portugal
Slovakia
Turkey
+
gplusa
post 16.Dec.2012, 10:06 AM
Post #5

OMG, not Andorra ! Say it aint so !
+
Migga
post 16.Dec.2012, 12:11 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (byke @ 16.Dec.2012, 09:25 AM) *
Countries listed below who have specifically chosen not to be part of Swedens Eurovision.I don't think Eurovision has ever had so many countries pull out at one time.#Grea ... (show full quote)

You mean Eurovision in Sweden, it`s not Swedens Eurovision.
+
Flutterbye
post 16.Dec.2012, 02:03 PM
Post #7

I must admit I did miss turkey and stuffing when I spent Christmas in Sweden a couple of years ago.
The food was very nice except for a herring dish ohmy.gif but as it was a buffet meal I was able to have enough on my plate so it was not noticed I had passed on that paticular delicacy.
Attached Image
+
byke
post 16.Dec.2012, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Obviously, Eurovision is a contest format.

But with Sweden hosting it, it allows Sweden to stamp their own branding and identity on the format. Which in turn allows for Sweden and information relating to tourism and history etc to be showcased to a wide audience.

However with so many nations now looking to abstain from such, it looks like Sweden's getting a raw deal in terms of offset costs and audience size.

To bad so many countries are looking to abstain from Sweden's hosting of it.
+
byke
post 16.Dec.2012, 02:15 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Flutterbye @ 16.Dec.2012, 02:03 PM) *
I must admit I did miss turkey and stuffing when I spent Christmas in Sweden a couple of years ago.The food was very nice except for a herring dish but as it was a buffet mea ... (show full quote)

Yeah, no Turkey this year ... But Sweden still gets stuffed with the bill laugh.gif
+
Hisingen
post 16.Dec.2012, 02:52 PM
Post #10

They are not exactly the countries that will be missed. Can't we get a few more to withdraw, then the programme will be over that much quicker? It is a lot of old hooha anyway, with more concentration on the clothing (or lack thereof) and decor than the actual music. Not much of a contest, really.
+
Willy
post 16.Dec.2012, 03:01 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (byke @ 16.Dec.2012, 09:25 AM) *
Countries listed below who have specifically chosen not to be part of Swedens Eurovision.

Andorra: Only participated 2007-2009.
CZ: Only participated 2007-2009.
Liechtenstein: Never participated, so please explain how they can pull out.
Luxembourg: Hasn't participated since 1993.
Monaco: Pulled out in 1981, with a brief comeback 2004-2006
Morocco: Participated once. In 1980.
Poland: Pulled out last year.
Slovakia: Pulled out last year.

So the only ones having "specifically chosen not to be part of Swedens Eurovision" are BiH, Greece, Portugal, and Turkey. Italy returned last year after a long absence and will stay on. Armenia is returning after having boycotted last year's contest in Azerbaba...Azerjefdsf...in Baku. So the balance is -3. Hardly significant with almost 40 countries participating in total.
+
byke
post 16.Dec.2012, 05:58 PM
Post #12

I love this type of statistical logic.
If European nations who have a history of attending the show, dont have a 100% unblemished record in regards to attendance - they are not counted ?

This must be part of the modern Swedish model.

#Sexing up the facts.

With estimates of close to three quarters of a billion kronor to host such.
It really begs the question of investment in such a show that is not only seeing a mass exodus of viewers, but also contestants.

I am sure Malmö will see a huge surge in tourists wanting to go to a town and be shot at. biggrin.gif
+
Willy
post 16.Dec.2012, 06:12 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (byke @ 16.Dec.2012, 05:58 PM) *
dont have a 100% unblemished record in regards to attendance

Like participating only once in 1980 or never participating at all? biggrin.gif

Some countries join and some leave. Happens every year.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Dec.2012, 08:07 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (byke @ 16.Dec.2012, 06:58 PM) *
I love this type of statistical logic.If European nations who have a history of attending the show, dont have a 100% unblemished record in regards to attendance - they are not ... (show full quote)

In order to "pull out" you actually need to be in. It is not some "statistical logic"; it is the definition of the expression.

So on the list you presented you can actually only claim that the countries that were present last year but not this year have "pulled out" this year. Presenting countries that pulled out years ago, or the were not present in the first place, is called a "fallacy" in regard to your statement: "Countries listed below who have specifically chosen not to be part of Swedens Eurovision. I don't think Eurovision has ever had so many countries pull out at one time."
+
byke
post 16.Dec.2012, 08:40 PM
Post #15

Poland abstained in 2012, and even set out to state they hadnt decided whether or not to enter for 2013. And only announced a few weeks ago that they were not going to attend 2013 either.

Given that their participation was one of undecided at present, but had a consistent record of attending for prior to it. I hardly see that as a patchy record.

Again, sexing up stats is all very well.
But I am sure that anyone who has seen the economy tank, and numerous states who had previously good attendance records. Will be able to see for themselves that 2013 is one of the worst years in modern times for the Eurovision contest which just happens to be hosted in Sweden.

Coincidence? make of it what you will.
Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Poland, Slovakia.
All have good records of attendance, and all have pulled out.

Which begs the question, with almost three quarters of a billion kronor expected in costs to host such an event. Often foreseen as cost offset with postcards from the host country as a modern form of tourist advertising. Is it an economical elephant in the room? given so many countries have pulled out.

Who next?
Israel has also threatened to pull out in protest given Malmö's racial and political tensions and what is often reported as anti-semitic given the violence often associated with it.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options