• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Moving with my boyfriend

What should we REALLY do?

maemae-
post 20.Dec.2012, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Hey! This question(s) is/are everywhere but I just want to know the whole details or tell me about your experience. Here's it is.

I'm currently staying with my Swede boyfriend in Halmstad because he's studying in the university. We've been together for more than a year now. I have a visit visa though I got a residence permit (because I got extended for another 3 months last October) and the time flies way too fast and I need to go back to the Philippines by 2013 of January. We've been searching about what requirements should we pass, experiences of people who went to get a Sambo Visa and asked someone as well. Anyway, I want to be with him and his parents are very supportive about our relationship. Our plan is, I'll go back to the Philippines and apply a Sambo Visa (online) as soon as possible and finish my university which would only take 4 months because I'm almost done with everything, just need to finish some important papers. And perhaps after 4 months I'll get a decision. I am not sure.

My question(s) would be:
1. We already have the requirements in the migrationsverket, do you think there's more than that?
2. The migration might think our relationship is just "fake" because we're both young, he's 22 and I'm 20? Do you think our age(s) will matter?
3. My parents and I never had a visa card and I never applied one because I never thought I will need one. Anyway, I need to pay the application online. Do you think my boyfriend could pay here in Sweden whilst I do the application in the Philippines?

I guess that's about it but I might add some follow-up questions. I hope that someone out there can help us. Thank you and happy holidays! :-)

-Mae.
Go to the top of the page
+
Case officer
post 20.Dec.2012, 09:41 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (maemae- @ 20.Dec.2012, 08:13 PM) *
My question(s) would be: 1. We already have the requirements in the migrationsverket, do you think there's more than that? 2. The migration might think our relationship is ... (show full quote)

Your age won't be a concern, the processing will focus on the seriousness of your relationship. You will be asked questions about how you met each other, how you keep in touch and your future plans as a couple. The fact that you have visited him in Sweden and met the parents is in your favour.

To apply online you need a bank card from Visa or MasterCard, either your own or somebody else's. You should ask your boyfriend for his card details.
+
Megalagom
post 20.Dec.2012, 10:51 PM
Post #3

Hej hej

If you are here with the proper documentations and paper work then you should go talk to the migration office in person to clarify everything. Decisions can take awhile depending on your situation, so don't count on coming straight back after the 4 months of studying. Since you've already got a visa extension, perhaps that will be in your favor. Make sure you do it correctly and leave when you are supposed to and apply from the Philippines.

Your age should not play a role, they will just interview you separately to verify that the relationship is real. If you have proof that you have been living together for a while (mail etc) that also helps.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you. I am also living in Halmstad, so your thread caught my eye smile.gif

Meg ~ Something Swedish ~
+
Pursuivant
post 21.Dec.2012, 12:46 PM
Post #4

You can get a prepaid mastercard say from moneybookers, that works quite like a "real" credit card. Very useful paying for airline tickets etc.
+
maemae-
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Case officer @ 20.Dec.2012, 09:41 PM) *
Your age won't be a concern, the processing will focus on the seriousness of your relationship. You will be asked questions about how you met each other, how you keep in t ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Megalagom @ 20.Dec.2012, 10:51 PM) *
Hej hejIf you are here with the proper documentations and paper work then you should go talk to the migration office in person to clarify everything. Decisions can take awhile ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Pursuivant @ 21.Dec.2012, 12:46 PM) *
You can get a prepaid mastercard say from moneybookers, that works quite like a "real" credit card. Very useful paying for airline tickets etc.

Tack! We're still a bit stressing about all the documents. I'll be honest, I don't feel good applying on my own country (sad to say) they're pretty bad. I applied my visa at the Swiss Embassy because we don't have a Swedish Embassy in my country and I had to fly to Thailand just to get a visit visa. I gave them all the documents complete and my boyfriend's parents invited me and yes, I still showed them my bank account, I still got denied. I applied in the Swiss Embassy for more than once. I am scared because even if I give them the complete documents, I know they will try to find something more. And my boyfriend just told me to apply to Thailand. Perhaps that would be a good idea. I don't know.

Anyway, God Jul och Gott nytt år!
smile.gif
+
Svensksmith
post 23.Dec.2012, 11:21 PM
Post #6

Just curious, Mae, and please don't take offense to this question: When I was in SFI there were two girls out of a class of 7 who were from the Phillipines and another Filipino woman in the class ahead of us. Given the geography and the wildly different climate, I'm just wondering what the connection between Sweden and the Philippines is?

Anyway, good luck with your situation.
+
maemae-
post 24.Dec.2012, 02:04 PM
Post #7

You should have asked those girls about their motives for being here then. You were in SFI? Then, it seems like you're also an immigrant like us? There's no connection at all. Anyway, if you want to know my motive(s) then here they are: I fell in love with a Swede, he's in University and I am almost done with my school. So, we decided to stay here because he's not done with his studying yet and yes, I have no problem with the weather here in Sweden.
+
Svensksmith
post 24.Dec.2012, 06:43 PM
Post #8

Actually, I did ask them. From their replies, I got the impression, from the two in my class, that it was a "mail order bride" situation. I didn't want to be presumptuous as to your situation, however, thus the question.

Again, no offense meant. God Jul.
+
maemae-
post 24.Dec.2012, 09:23 PM
Post #9

No, really I don't feel offended because none of the things you're saying should make me feel bad or whatever. If they were "mail order bride" then why do you care so much? It seems like you're an immigrant as well. Don't assume that every Filipino has the same motives. And also, if you asked them already then why were you asking me about the connection between both countries? If you read the messages in this specific forum then you should have an idea why I'm here.
+
Svensksmith
post 25.Dec.2012, 01:52 AM
Post #10

Backing way off here (sounds of shuffling feet), extracting foot from mouth, now (ptueyy, boy does that taste bad, please forgive (hands in supplication)...

Sometimes I'm too nosey for my own good.
+
wondering
post 25.Dec.2012, 01:58 AM
Post #11

I have quite a few Danish friends who have married Filipino girls.

While I have seen quite a few Swedes marrying Thai girls. Maybe Scandinavians really like South East Asian girls smile.gif
+
Migga
post 25.Dec.2012, 09:48 AM
Post #12

Women from south east asia are romanticized and sexualized by the West. Much like swedish women or brazilian women. That means that western men, scandinavians included, make the effort to go there and find a partner. I would say that`s one connection. It doesn`t make the love between maemae and her boyfriend any less authentic or real.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options