• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Job seeking advice needed

For experienced Electronics - RF Engineer

/dev/null
post 21.Dec.2012, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Hi,

I am in a software business and I got a job in Swedish company.
My family moves to Sweden (Stockholm) - I land on February 2013 and my wife and kids join in August 2013.
Me and my wife have visas and working permits, so the legal part is taken care of.

My wife is experienced (>10 years) Electronics Engineer specializing in RF field (high power amplifiers).
Ideally, she would like to start seeking for a job before she comes to Sweden in order to get some good leads and possibly initial phone interviews.

I wonder:
1. What is current situation in Electronics Engineering (RF) market in Stockholm for candidates who do not speak Swedish?
2. Is there any (boutique?)recruiting agency that can help to find RF Engineer job while my wife is still abroad?
3. What is the salary range for Electronics/RF Engineer with >10 years of experience?
4. What companies worth look at for Electronics/RF Engineers positions?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 21.Dec.2012, 12:21 PM
Post #2

What an evil username wink.gif

I would start emailing and calling Ericsson as they are the obvious giant in RF in Sweden. They are laying off a lot of people at the moment but they will always be hiring experts in niche areas.

What about general electronics HW / ASIC / FPGA design? Can your wife work with that? There are many companies in Stockholm currently hiring, check for example the positions advertised by Marvell.

~~~PDX~~~
+
PDX
post 21.Dec.2012, 12:25 PM
Post #3

The salary range would be 50k-100k SEK, but that really depends on the company. The larger, more conservative companies will pay at the lower end while smaller companies can pay considerably more.

~~~PDX~~~
+
/dev/null
post 21.Dec.2012, 12:53 PM
Post #4

@PDX, thanks for your answers - I found them really valuable!

My wife has no industrial experience with HW/ASIC/FPGA (but she's willing to learn), as she was dealing with niche area (military intelligence applications).

What about recruiting agencies, any recommendations?
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Dec.2012, 01:12 PM
Post #5

You might want to check out SAAB also, they used to have SAAB Technologies (or SAAB-Ericsson), not sure if they have any facilities in Stockholm though.

There are some other companies, though I cannot name them sorry, that deal with military communications, there has been over a few years close co-operation between Sweden and UK Military/Governments especially around the area of identification systems and encryption, with a purpose of ...believe it or not... giving the technology away to the US, there has been a growing concern since the actions in the middle east during the 90s/00s where the majority of casulties were caused by, guess whos, friendly fire?... because they wouldn't accept the identification systems, got so bad the UK started painting Union Jacks on the backs of vehicles so they wouldn't get hit ...didn't work. sad.gif
+
PDX
post 21.Dec.2012, 03:11 PM
Post #6

No chance of landing a job in the defense industry, for obvious reasons.

The recruitment agencies will usually have contract work. You can check e.g. www.jobserve.com for available fixed-duration assignments, but still Ericsson seems to be the best option here.

Also, do not forget to study Swedish from day one, preferably with a professional one-on-one tutor via e.g. Berlitz or similar company.

~~~PDX~~~
+
/dev/null
post 21.Dec.2012, 07:50 PM
Post #7

@PDX, @Yorkshireman, thanks for the tips!

Seems like Ericsson do not have any positions (according to their website) jobserve.com do not have RF related openings either. Same for the SAAB group. Any thoughts?
+
Yorkshireman
post 21.Dec.2012, 08:40 PM
Post #8

Look through this list, should be covering Sweden as a whole mostly telecom related though.

http://www.teknikjobb.se/rf-engineer.html
+
PDX
post 22.Dec.2012, 12:35 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (/dev/null @ 21.Dec.2012, 07:50 PM) *
@PDX, @Yorkshireman, thanks for the tips!Seems like Ericsson do not have any positions (according to their website) jobserve.com do not have RF related openings either. Sa ... (show full quote)

Not true - Ericsson should be your #1 option by far. SAAB is #2, but as I already stated it is out of question in this case due to strict nationality/etc requirements.

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 21.Dec.2012, 08:40 PM) *
Look through this list, should be covering Sweden as a whole mostly telecom related though.. http://www.teknikjobb.se/rf-engineer.html

That is actually an awesome link, all of the larger companies doing RF are represented smile.gif

~~~PDX~~~
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply