• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Red days - Paid days off work? - Is it the law or?

My employer won't pay me for 24-25-26 December

NordicTravel
post 22.Dec.2012, 11:44 AM
Post #1

My employer won't pay me for 24th, 25th, 26th or 31st December or 1st Jan.
I thought these were "red days" in Sweden.

In past employment I have always been paid (when they haven't been on the weeked mellow.gif

So does anyone know if they should pay me because it's "the law" or does it depend on unions / collective agreements and so on?

It's a small company with no union recognised.
Go to the top of the page
+
Yorkshireman
post 22.Dec.2012, 12:23 PM
Post #2

It depends on whatever Union Collective agreements have been made and what they contain, and also if there is anything special within Your employment agreement.

Most monthly paid people are paid exactly the same amount each month, regardless of number of days in the month and/or whether it contains Red Days or not., assuming a 100% working time.

Hourly paid, the starting point is normally that they are NOT paid for Red Days, unless they are working, and in compensation for the Public Holiday they are normally offered an alternative day off (not paid). ie. You only get paid for actual worked hours.

There is NO LAW with regards being paid for Red Days, it has been Government policy (all past Governments) in Sweden for quite a while that pay levels etc.. are negotiated between Employers and Unions/Employees without Government interference, hence why there is also no minimum wage in Sweden.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 22.Dec.2012, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Dec 24 and 31 are not red days.

What do you mean by not pay you?

If you are an hourly paid employee you get paid for every hour you put in.
If you are a not a hourly employee you get paid a monthly fixed amount, no matter how many red days there are in a month.
+
NordicTravel
post 22.Dec.2012, 01:43 PM
Post #4

Thanks.
I have a monthly salary, I work 25 hours per week...

They will deduct these days (I was welcome to work if I wanted to do so angry.gif )

Oh well, have to get a new job ASAP (before Easter anyway) and put it down to experience...
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 22.Dec.2012, 02:30 PM
Post #5

Since you are a monthly paid employee the employer does not have the right to deduct salary for red days; they are included in the salary.
+
NordicTravel
post 22.Dec.2012, 02:45 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the replies.

As I am still on the trial period and have 1 day resignation period I am not going to push it (even though I am a member of Unionen)
It's not a professional company, it's just 6 people, 3 of whom are owners.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 22.Dec.2012, 02:49 PM
Post #7

What does you contract say?

If it states that you should work 5 hours a day, or if it says that you should work on certain scheduled days, then you should have no salary reduction if one of those days happen to be red.

If, on the other hand, you are free to set you own working days/hours, then you must make sure that you work 62.5% of the full work week, however the length of the work week may be shortened by the holidays.

Contact Unionen and ask they lawyer. They are happy to give input.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN