• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

Why are the Swedes so dumb?

Texting whilst driving now legal

byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:04 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (frenchviking @ 23.Dec.2012, 11:45 AM) *
Why do people spend so much energy complaining about sweden?There must be something good about sweden since so many of us moved here...Personally, if one day i become so sour ... (show full quote)

Laughs ...
Seriously, if a person is unhappy about a law it equates to them hating Sweden?

Your nuts.
Go to the top of the page
+
Hamsterdam
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:10 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (byke @ 23.Dec.2012, 12:04 PM) *
Your nuts.

What about his nuts? He is French, so is unlikely to have any cohoonas.

(You mean "you're nuts")
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 12:12 PM
Post #33

**waives white flag**

you win
+
frenchviking
post 23.Dec.2012, 01:08 PM
Post #34

Wow...
I see that i touched a nerve here...
Calling swedes dumb is indeed ok... Nothing wrong at all...
Well i am sorry but i do not agree with you... If you think swedes are dumb and you do not like it in sweden, then have the balls to leave... If not, something must be keeping you here...
I do not think all laws in sweden are good... Far from it. But i do not say that all swedes are dumb... And overall i like sweden and swedes very much. If i did not, i would not live here...
Maybe you should just go elsewhere see if people are less dumb!
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 01:24 PM
Post #35

frenchviking has used the word "dumb" : 4 Times in this thread
byke has used the word "dumb" : 0 times in this thread.
+
Yorkshireman
post 23.Dec.2012, 01:44 PM
Post #36

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ...and that alone shows the deeper inside of you @byke, @frenchviking didn't quote You, didn't name You ...yet you jump to defend yourself by saying You didn't use the word! (self-importance?, arrogance?, paranioa?) wink.gif
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 01:54 PM
Post #37

Yes, its a lot more honourable to compare others to accusations you disagree with than using your own self reference as fodder rolleyes.gif

But thats not really the point is it?
The point of this thread is now an attempt to divert attention from the fact that Sweden is acting in a reckless manner and putting lives at risk. Since they have no control over their legal system and cant introduce laws that seeks to ban driving while on the mobile phone.

Well at least its not a scenario like in Stockholm where a congestion tax is implemented, only to be exempt to a large group of politicians.

Heja Sverige!
+
Puffin
post 23.Dec.2012, 01:59 PM
Post #38

Has any country actually banned all texting/phoning including hands-free?
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 02:02 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (byke @ 23.Dec.2012, 11:10 AM) *
+
Migga
post 23.Dec.2012, 02:06 PM
Post #40

Ah yes all the Swedes are dumb and all the French are gutless or cowards, this is laughable. The things that are being written by some on this forum is just beyond reason.
+
Yorkshireman
post 23.Dec.2012, 02:14 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (byke @ 23.Dec.2012, 01:54 PM) *
The point of this thread is now an attempt to divert attention from the fact that Sweden is acting in a reckless manner and putting lives at risk. Since they have no control o ... (show full quote)

So now you associate acting reckless with not puting laws in place??? Explain how puting a law on the books makes something less reckless? I would add that the research done in other countries show that it didn't do anything of the kind!

Sweden is being sensible and wise in my opinion by not creating laws that cannot be enforced, will focus on education and awareness to the population, and look to make sure that the existing law (in this case negligent driving) are used when appropriate.

QUOTE (byke @ 23.Dec.2012, 01:54 PM) *
Well at least its not a scenario like in Stockholm where a congestion tax is implemented, only to be exempt to a large group of politicians.

Not only politicians, there are certain companies that are exempt also, plus under specific circumstances it is possible to re-claim the congestion tax charged, even for private individuals. It is a revenue generator, just like the radar-photo speed traps... with the public side view of having alternative reasons.

Don't worry, it is likely to be extended once they can figure out and build indirect public support along with the right data. There is a growing number of influencial business people and politicians that are complaining that they are made late for meetings due to jams on the E4 Essingeleden, so want the zone extending there also in the hope that adding a fee will remove the riff-raff from the road!

Look at it this way ...if as originally stated it was needed due to pollution in the city, then why didn't they just set a charge that was so high people would leave their cars at home.

Same argument for dub-däck, they have a number of streets where they are banned, and tossed around an idea about banning completely from the city ...due to the additional particle pollution!... yet it seems to be coming down in favour of a special tax instead! just another revenue generator wearing the coat of public need. wink.gif

Back to the old ...if it moves tax-it, if it doesn't move, tax it anyway ...
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 02:15 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (Migga @ 23.Dec.2012, 02:06 PM) *
Ah yes all the Swedes are dumb and all the French are gutless or cowards, this is laughable.

At what point has anyone referred to the French as gutless or cowards?
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 02:24 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 23.Dec.2012, 02:14 PM) *
So now you associate acting reckless with not puting laws in place??? Explain how puting a law on the books makes something less reckless? I would add that the research done i ... (show full quote)

Putting a law into place acts as a deterrent to warn the public against committing such crime.
The same way as informing the pubic that murder is not an acceptable form of behaviour in society.

People aren't having their rights removed by the suggestion of banning phones.
They would simply be informed that the combination of using a phone while driving is illegal - and anyone caught violating this directive would face criminal punishment.

In regards to Sweden unable to enforce driving laws, then it sends out a strong reflection of the police force and their abilities.
+
Yorkshireman
post 23.Dec.2012, 04:57 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (byke @ 23.Dec.2012, 02:24 PM) *
Putting a law into place acts as a deterrent to warn the public against committing such crime.

And this is the point. It is shown that in countries where they did implement a specific law for this that it has not acted as a deterrent.

And just how does it act as a deterrent?
And You forget Proportionality in law. Here's the 4 stages of proportionality for EU law:
1. There must be a legitimate aim for a measure.
2. The measure must be suitable to achieve the aim (potentially with the requirement of evidence to show that it will have an effect).
3. The measure must be necessary to achieve the aim, that there cannot be any less onerous way of doing it
4. The measure must be reasonable, considering the competing interests of different groups at hand.
The same way as informing the pubic that murder is not an acceptable form of behaviour in society.

Seriously? So you believe that it is only the law(s) with regards murder that stops people from killing. And when was the last time You say a public information campaign about murder?
They would simply be informed that the combination of using a phone while driving is illegal - and anyone caught violating this directive would face criminal punishment.

And that is exactly what is proposed, educating people that it is dangerous to use a phone whilst driving, and that you can be charged under the existing negligent driving law.
In regards to Sweden unable to enforce driving laws, then it sends out a strong reflection of the police force and their abilities.

No it doesn't. Sweden has finite resources it isn't a question of ability. The UK for example has a higher number of police-per-capita than Sweden, yet it still has trouble enforcing a mobile-phone ban whilst driving. It is a question of where the resouces available are be deployed and for what purpose.
+
Seamus Sean
post 23.Dec.2012, 05:25 PM
Post #45

Once again we are back to comparing Sweden with the UK.

Day and night spring to mind chalk and cheese also, why not check out Norway and see how the ban works there, it would be a far more similar country to Sweden than the UK.

As you can see from the link below we shouldn´t be even trying to compare Sweden to the UK...

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=24850

A ban on the use of mobile phones whilst driving would be followed by most Swedes.
+

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options