• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
16 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »    Reply to this topic

Why are the Swedes so dumb?

Texting whilst driving now legal

Yorkshireman
post 27.Dec.2012, 01:03 AM
Post #76

It is easy to be dumb believing a law banning the use of something will actually have the effect of it stopping.

It takes intelligence to recognise that the issue isn't about requiring a law, but education and awareness to bring social change.

Whilst I deplore use of devices by drivers, motorbikes and cyclists, I believe the current policy of concentrating on education and awareness, plus emphasis that you can be charged with negligent driving is the correct way to go.
Go to the top of the page
+
oddsock
post 27.Dec.2012, 01:20 AM
Post #77

But it's not a choice between the two. Surely the idea is to introduce a law and also continue education and awareness?

As, indeed, was the case when the seatbelt law was introduced.
+
Garry Jones
post 27.Dec.2012, 03:25 AM
Post #78

I am sorry if some people took offence to the title. I wanted to draw attention to this thread. I do not mean all Swedes, but in general where many countries will unify on important matters the Swedish way is to say "Hold on a minute whilst we look into it".

When Thalidomide was found to be dangerous Swedes carried out their own tests before banning it leading to extra unncessary birth defects.

I feel this is a dumb way to approach matters.

I see many people have mentioned the fact that drivers who drive dangerously can be fined and perhaps banned.

But that's not the point. As others have stated - texting drivers can kill and/or be killed. The message is not "don't do it because you might get fined", the message is "don't do it because you can get killed or kill someone". Even if it can be proven afterwards that person X was texting when he or she killed person Y it does not give person Y a "get out of your grave free card". Person Y is still dead and the children of person Y are going to grow up without that parent. That's the harsh reality of not having this law.

Wheres the law may not be adhered to in other countries the Swedes are law-abiding and generally speaking change their behaviour accordingly. Outside of Stockholm where there are many tourists you will see Swedes waiting for the Green man on pedestrian crossings even though there are no cars coming.

This is not the case in the UK and most other countries where we cross when we see it is safe. The Swede has to wait to be told it is ok by means of the green light. This is in fact the law in Sweden.

I feel this alone proves that the law would have some affect and that some traffic accidents would be avoided.
+
Yorkshireman
post 27.Dec.2012, 10:33 AM
Post #79

QUOTE (Garry Jones @ 27.Dec.2012, 03:25 AM) *
Wheres the law may not be adhered to in other countries the Swedes are law-abiding and generally speaking change their behaviour accordingly. Outside of Stockholm where there ... (show full quote)

Please quote the law that You are refering to.
+
Johno
post 27.Dec.2012, 11:45 AM
Post #80

I have already posted on the earlier thread about safer driving and will not repeat my general views on Swedes and obeying driving laws - like sticking to speed limits when it suits them. Though the observation on pedestrians and green lights has a truth, the majority though not all will wait.

But one forgotten factor still perhaps relevant. When Sweden changed from left to right traffic it was impressed on everyone that obeying traffic laws literally meant staying alive, and everyone slavishly followed the rules, because it made complete sense. Perhaps the older generation still remembers and adheres to this ethic and has instilled it into at least some of the newer generations.

Now when all cyclists (since this is Garys theme) follow all the road rules too, we will all be safer on roads, footpaths and shared ways. In the UK too high a proportion are a law unto themselves, red lights, footpaths, etc grr.
+
mångk
post 27.Dec.2012, 12:07 PM
Post #81

Why do I get the feeling that the people complaining that Sweden has not introduced a law banning mobile usage whilst driving would be the same people complaining if Sweden had introduced such a law? cool.gif
+
byke
post 27.Dec.2012, 12:47 PM
Post #82

Swedes love laws ... There are laws for Swedes to pay taxes.
And these laws are followed, but hardly loved.

Attached Image

+
Migga
post 27.Dec.2012, 01:01 PM
Post #83

Now that`s a dumb Swede, luckly the Swedes aren`t dumb or they would follow her;
http://www.thelocal.se/45292/20121227/
+
mångk
post 27.Dec.2012, 02:11 PM
Post #84

Quite possibly! But have a bit of a look at what byke said... Dumb and Dumber?? laugh.gif
+
Seamus Sean
post 27.Dec.2012, 04:49 PM
Post #85

It is all well and good saying over and over that drivers can be charged if they have an accident and it turns out that they have been using their phone prior to the accident but the fact remains that if a law was passed banning the use of phones while driving then Swedes in the majority would follow the law.

I believe Swedes need to be told what to do and what not to do and until a law is passed we shall continue to see way too many drivers chatting on phones or texting while at the wheel.

There is no point saying "yeah but...no but...in the UK..." this isn`t the UK, people here are very different from British, American, French or just about anywhere else for that matter.

See how how a line of Swedish folk react when a bus pulls up or when the gate at the airport opens or at the train station, pushing and jostling, no one cares who was there first or last just get yourself on that bus/train/plane as fast as you can...now put up a little machine that will give you a number and a screen displaying what number is next and then people wait their turn...they have to be told what for a lot of people from around the world is just taken as the norm.

BAN PHONES WHILE DRIVING and they will stop using them, grey areas don´t work, just go out and about and open your eyes the amount of people using phones while driving in Sweden is the worst I have ever seen!
+
Yorkshireman
post 27.Dec.2012, 04:59 PM
Post #86

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 27.Dec.2012, 04:49 PM) *
It is all well and good saying over and over that drivers can be charged if they have an accident and it turns out that they have been using their phone prior to the accident ... (show full quote)

Hmmmm ...according to the data gathered approx 35% of drivers use their phones when driving, and that is for approx 2% of total journey time. So, the majority of "Swedes" already do not use their phones whilst driving.
+
Seamus Sean
post 27.Dec.2012, 05:10 PM
Post #87

Thanks once again Yorkshireman for coming to my aid with a roll out of reports and facts and figures there for a minute I almost believed my own eyes and made up my own mind...guess all them people I saw today using their phones whilst driving were not infact using their phones...how could they have been because it says in a report...blah,blah,blah...!
+
Seamus Sean
post 27.Dec.2012, 05:16 PM
Post #88

I am not suggesting that people who already don`t use their phones would be in any way affected by the ban which should be brought in...I am talking about those that use phones while driving, I can clearly see most people don´t use their phones, no need to preach to the converted it´s the numpties that need told!

A law followed by a court visit, fines, jail if need be, these cases make the papers, people see it is infact wrong to do so and within a short space of time the numbers using their phones while driving will drop even more until we are left with just those who will not follow laws anyway! And there will always be a few of those!
+
oddsock
post 28.Dec.2012, 02:03 PM
Post #89

Yeah, that was a bit of a strange one from the Yorkshireman, saying that most people don't text and drive. Most people also don't steal. So laws against stealing would also be addressing a problem that most people don't have? I don't get.
+
Hisingen
post 28.Dec.2012, 08:16 PM
Post #90

You know that "there's nowt so queer as folk" as they say in Yorkshire, and it certainly applies to their own folk ! ! ! tongue.gif
+

16 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com