• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Shortcuts for obtaining Swedish driving license?

Any Eu countries where I can get one?

vicky7
post 23.Dec.2012, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Are there any EU countries where it's easy to get a local driving license and get it converted to a Swedish one? So much hassle and cost just to get a swedish one here.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 23.Dec.2012, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Generally, you have to be a resident to get a driver's license. I do not know any country that allows non-residents to get a license.
+
Seamus Sean
post 23.Dec.2012, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Do you have to send text messages while driving during the Swedish driving test
+
ahm
post 3.Jan.2013, 10:07 AM
Post #4

I think you must be resident in general to get driving license, but im not sure,

Any way ,Romania,Bulgaria ,and Greece i guess its cheap there ,all of them are part of EU
+
John.Smith
post 3.Jan.2013, 10:20 AM
Post #5

If this was easy and cheap to do then the Swedes would do it themselves. You must be registered and resident in all EU countries in order to apply for and successfully get a full license.

If you are already from another EU country but live here then it may be a valid option. I know a lad who kept his UK license over here and did his motorbike test back home in the UK. He saved both time and money as he organised it whilst back home on holiday.

If you are from outside the EU then you have little or no choice I am afraid.
+
Hisingen
post 3.Jan.2013, 12:54 PM
Post #6

At a guess the rules are in place to prevent folks 'simply buying' a driving licence. There are more than enough unqualified drivers on the roads as it is, hence the somewhat strict regs here in Sweden.
+
Abe L
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:17 PM
Post #7

If you are a citizen of another EU country, I would take a few weeks and go back there to get the relevant license using an express course and just turn it in here. Worst case you have to temporarily register yourself on a local address, perhaps one of family but there is generally no or little cost involved with that.

If you are not, do some research for a proper driving school that is willing to assist you in English and offers intensive training to get the license in 2-3 weeks. This is by far the best way to get it over with.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:32 PM
Post #8

All EU countries require per EU rules that you are resident for at least 6 months to get a license, no matter if you are citizen or not.
+
cartenui
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:44 PM
Post #9

Truth is it doesn't have to be expensive, aslong as you trust your driving skill.

For the theory, there's alot of stuff online, including tests / programs. with some easy keywords on TPB such as "körskola" "körtest" "uppkörning" "trafikskola" etc. Its more than enough, there's also free material on homepages such as roadsigns and small tests.

For the practical bit.."driving". I suggest u start off with a friend / tutor, doing it private doesn't cost you anything except your friends time. Also there's alot of people doing this "black/svart" meaning that you can probably find someone who is willing to instruct you for alot less than the driving schools, illegal for sure but the way the system works now there's no way to stop it really. a person with license being your tutor for money that is.

Once you feel ready, u should take atleast 25 lessons if u havent driven before imo. then go to a driving school and book in 4-5 lessons. They might throw you some tips or tricks that you havent thought about and tell you to practise something in particular. You explain to them ofcourse that youve driven quite alot private and want to check up the driving.

They will most likely try to fish you for money and recommend you more lessons, but in the end of the day you should feel when your comfortable with your driving and book the "Upkörning/driving test" yourself, unless the driving school ofc wants to send you there which would improve their statistics and probably let you get your license "easier".

Just saying, in total if you manage to get a friend to drive with it wouldnt cost you over 4000 in total. on the otherside if you can only drive with black/driving school then consider probably double that ammount.
+
Gordy
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:56 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 3.Jan.2013, 02:32 PM) *
All EU countries require per EU rules that you are resident for at least 6 months to get a license, no matter if you are citizen or not.

You better tell that to the Irish, Bender, there is no registration of residency in Ireland.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:16 PM
Post #11

They still require that: "To apply for a driving licence, you must be normally resident in Ireland. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year. "

So legally, you cannot just go to Ireland and get a license.
+
Hisingen
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:29 PM
Post #12

Anyway, Woolworth's and EPA are now closed, so the chances of simply buying a licence are drastically reduced. Drivers are required to be able to drive, and preferably without a cell phone on (in) hand.
+
oddsock
post 6.Jan.2013, 02:47 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 3.Jan.2013, 03:16 PM) *
They still require that: "To apply for a driving licence, you must be normally resident in Ireland. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of p ... (show full quote)

When it comes to these things, Ireland is the anti-Sweden. It's quite delightful actually. There are no ID cards. No population register. They actually have no idea who is living in the country half of the time.
+
Hall
post 13.Aug.2013, 09:06 AM
Post #14

Hi,

Has anyone done that? (got the licence in another EU country and then just changed to Swedish).

I am about having a good chance of doing that but need to know if it works in Sweden.

I am Ukrainian. Now resident of Slovakia and soon moving to Sweden. I can get Slovak licence almost for free (cost of papers and translations to apply).

But how it works then in Sweden? Non EU citizen with an EU driving licence..

Anyone experienced?

br
Oleg
+
Kibiri
post 13.Aug.2013, 09:10 AM
Post #15

Your citizenship shouldn't matter. Get a Slovak license before coming here.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options