• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Christmas wrapping disasters

What's the weirdest thing you've used?

Svensksmith
post 23.Dec.2012, 05:08 PM
Post #1

My wife took her mother to church this morning but I, fighting a cold, decided to stay home. I'm using this opportunity to wrap her Christmas gift. But, of course, there's no friggin wrapping paper. @#%*!!! Having been faced with this dilemna before, I have always managed to prevail. It's not unusual to find gifts under the tree wrapped in the funny papers, or aluminum foil, or even brown paper grocery bags cut up and repurposed. This morning I scoured the house to no avail until finally I remembered that I have some old chicken feed sacks out in the barn. It's not the prettiest gift under the tree but at least it's wrapped.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever wrapped a gift with?
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Who took all the Christmas paper?

Attached Image

+
entry
post 23.Dec.2012, 06:48 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 23.Dec.2012, 05:08 PM) *
My wife took her mother to church this morning but I, fighting a cold, decided to stay home. I'm using this opportunity to wrap her Christmas gift. But, of course, there&# ... (show full quote)

That was good. Now I am known and very infamous for my Christmas wrapping. One year in Sweden Itook just about every plastic bag, paper bag two rolls of duct tape, a full roll of baling wire, regular packing tape and put a Christmas present together for my wife's then young child. She was surrounded by her younger cousins for the first 30 minutes with eyes wide open as to what she was given. They got bored and left her with the adults as she managed with the help of her aunt and her mother. I cannot recall what was actually in the package but I do recall that two lawn & leaf bags were required to contain all of the wrapping.

PS: It took three or four years here in Sweden before I was again permitted to wrap a Christmas or birthday present.

Merry Christmas to all, -Paul och Maria

Spelling errors are do to my inability and the fact that I cannot actually see the screen. I am a touch typist and my reading glasses that I am are using are either dirty are are not strong enough. - It is Christmas give me some slack...
+
entry
post 23.Dec.2012, 07:11 PM
Post #4

*rap on a cracker how could I as a native English speaker post that above...
+
dave.smith
post 24.Dec.2012, 12:40 PM
Post #5

I hate wrapping. I always use too much or too little paper. Luckily my sambo does our wrapping, and my PA wraps for my sambo tongue.gif - unless we are in SA, then my mom wraps for my sambo. (Usually). Last year I was forced to wrap, what an annoyance tongue.gif !
+
johnjohn
post 24.Dec.2012, 12:45 PM
Post #6

Bless you Dave as you always make me laugh except of course when my P.A. is laughing for me. Happy holidays to all.
+
Puffin
post 24.Dec.2012, 02:15 PM
Post #7

There was the time when I was a child and my crazy aunt and uncle brought us a present of a wrapped cage of hamsters (WITHOUT clearing it with my parents first). They put the cage upstairs to reveal the surprise after lunch

The next thing we knew was my grandad screaming that there was a rat on the upstairs landing!! - apparently the cage did not lock so well and the hamsters had duly escaped and hidden under the floorboards!

So the rest of Christmas day my dad and uncle spent lifting floorboards...

Then a few years later was the encore of the leaky goldfish tank ...
+
byke
post 24.Dec.2012, 03:26 PM
Post #8

Why doesn't anyone use the wrapping services of the store?
I was able to get all that palarva kindly dealt with, by the services by the ladies at the stores.

I also find the quality of material and finish achieved, much more desirable.
Usually the packages also hold their shape better for traveling with, and if you go the right type of store it's not covered with some sort of garish branding on.

Actually, come to think about it?
I don't think such is generally easy to find in Sweden is it?
Even NK plaster their logo all over the box. Which IMHO looks cheap and tacky.

But I suppose if you go to a proper store like Selfridges, F&M, Harrods, or any other reputable store you can get such. Hamleys is usually covered in that bumpf so I try and stay away there.
But overall outsourcing it is easier and looks better.

Merry Christmas!
+
Svensksmith
post 25.Dec.2012, 02:09 AM
Post #9

They wouldn't wrap the stillson wrench for me at the hardware store.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se