• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Why do Swedes celebrate on 24th not 25th December?

Tell me, please

akibobrob
post 23.Dec.2012, 07:38 PM
Post #1

I've got the English family over and they want to know how Christmas Eve became the big celebratory day over here.

My guess was that you weren't supposed to have to much fun on Christmas Day itself but some more informed reason would be good.
Go to the top of the page
+
Hamsterdam
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Plenty of countries celebrate on Xmas Eve including Germany and the US so it is not unusual.
+
MetalforLife
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Most people are braindead and dont have the slightest idea why they are celebrating anything, they just do it for fun, humanity disgusts me.
+
Migga
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Before the church arrived to Sweden and forced it`s tradition on the Swedes the people had their own traditions. Christmas in Swedish is Jul, which means Yule. Jul (Yule) comes from the word Julblot or Midvinterblot which was a feast where people came togheter and celebrated the begining of the end of winter. Hopefully in the future one can see past the christian or americanized christmas and go back to the original swedish feast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
+
johnjohn
post 23.Dec.2012, 08:50 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (MetalforLife @ 23.Dec.2012, 07:31 PM) *
Most people are braindead and dont have the slightest idea why they are celebrating anything, they just do it for fun, humanity disgusts me.

The feeling is mutual.
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 09:30 PM
Post #6

It's not just Christmas where the day before the day is celebrated.
+
byke
post 23.Dec.2012, 09:31 PM
Post #7

A whole slew of holidays are celebrated the day before the actual day in Sweden.
+
jack sprat
post 23.Dec.2012, 10:52 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Hamsterdam @ 23.Dec.2012, 08:29 PM) *
Plenty of countries celebrate on Xmas Eve including Germany and the US so it is not unusual.

Same here in Spain.
Going for a big nosh-up with Spanish pals on Xmas eve.
Repeat performance with UK pals on Xmas day.
The usual shenanigans New Years eve and New Years Day.
Then repeat the performance all over again on the 5th and 6th of Jan with the Festival of the Three Kings.
Bloody hard life down here.
Don't know how I keep it all up, or should that be down.

It's actually a Pagan festival originally that was conveniently hi-jacked by the Christians and now seems to be returning to its former status, ...but who the hell cares anyway as long as it's a damned good knees-up.
+
adiman83
post 23.Dec.2012, 10:57 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Hamsterdam @ 23.Dec.2012, 08:29 PM) *

I agree. It's not at all unusual. I'm Romanian and even though people in villages, who still keep the old traditions, do celebrate it on Dec 25th, most people are having all the "festivities" on the 24th. I don't know why things are like that. Maybe it's the same reason for having a New Year party on Dec 31st and not on Jan 1st.
+
Svensksmith
post 23.Dec.2012, 11:14 PM
Post #10

We celebrate with one side of the family on Christmas Eve and the other Christmas Day. Doesn't seem odd to me.

On a different note, I recognize your moniker, adiman. How are things going for you?
+
adiman83
post 23.Dec.2012, 11:38 PM
Post #11

In my family it may have something to do with the German heritage ... I'm German on my father's side ... we even keep their version of Advent: the crown (I think it's called a crown) with the 4 candles, one for each Sunday after St Nicholas (Dec 6th) and the last one on Christmas Eve when you'll have all 4 of them lit.

@Svensksmith. Things are more or less fine. The job is keeping me busy/ Currently I'm in my hometown visiting my family for the holidays. X-mas is quite lovely in this part of Europe.
+
Svensksmith
post 24.Dec.2012, 12:15 AM
Post #12

Okay, praying for good things to come your way.
+
chazza
post 24.Dec.2012, 12:28 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Migga @ 23.Dec.2012, 07:33 PM) *
Before the church arrived to Sweden and forced it`s tradition on the Swedes the people had their own traditions. Christmas in Swedish is Jul, which means Yule. Jul (Yule) ... (show full quote)

Everyone surely is free to celebrate christmas/Jul/ anyway they wish: pagan/american/christian whatever, or ignore it completely if they prefer? That's what's so great about living in a democracy. Why do we have to hope for a future that rubs out the traditions that seem to offend you and opt for those you would like to see forced upon us. Live and let liv migga, .Nobody is forcing christmas on you.
Enjoy the holidays ! smile.gif
+
Migga
post 24.Dec.2012, 09:32 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (chazza @ 24.Dec.2012, 12:28 AM) *
veryone surely is free to celebrate christmas/Jul/ anyway they wish: pagan/american/christian whatever, or ignore it completely if they prefer? That's what's so great ... (show full quote)

Yeah it`s great to live in a secular democracy where religion has no place in the public room, shame it isn`t always so. I don`t wish to force anything on anyone. I do hope people will educate themselves and be enlightened about the reasons behind Yule. They can celebratre whatever they want but I`d like to hope that they know what came before.

Happy holidays!
+
Swedentalk
post 24.Dec.2012, 08:14 PM
Post #15

All three days are celebrated, 24-26 December. It's because Christmas presents are opened on 24 December that day became so big.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com