• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Are Swedes like Hobbits?

Is Sweden doomed to be a social backwater?

Migga
post 26.Dec.2012, 04:46 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Dec.2012, 03:56 PM) *
I Most white, homogenous nations really value traditional celebrations as a why of reinforcing their tribal group think. Sweden is especially so.

Only white nations? Why is color important? No other nation have these brainwashing traditions? And why is Sweden so hardcore?

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Dec.2012, 03:56 PM) *
I dunno, it all shows a general lack of imagination and individual expression. It's a form of brainwashing that you see it in most white European countries, but the confor ... (show full quote)

I think you started this part of good when you said, "I dunno", because that is perfectly true. You don`t know, you really don`t know. You don`t know or you don`t want to try and know so you label it as brainwashing. You comments are filled with hate and have an extreme focus on the color white. Traditions are meant to stay true to it`s original so that future generations can have some insight to how things were in the past. But it`s clear that you don`t want to understand so you call it a lack of imagination and individual expression. Do all Swedes lack these traits? Or is it all whites that don`t have them? Or is it just most of them and not all?

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Dec.2012, 04:01 PM) *
Perhaps. They are very good at having meetings at my work about small things like reorganising the rooms in the building or minor changes to regulation. But when there's a ... (show full quote)

Who are "they"? So when a real crisis happens "they" stand around paralyzed while you, the oh so glorious "other", takes care of business? The things some people write on this forum is scary.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 26.Dec.2012, 05:01 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 26.Dec.2012, 04:41 PM) *
I don't think Hamsterdam likes Smiths much. Discrimination in the worst form.

He therefore is not a Morrissey fan.
+
oddsock
post 26.Dec.2012, 07:42 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Migga @ 26.Dec.2012, 04:46 PM) *
Only white nations? Why is color important? No other nation have these brainwashing traditions? And why is Sweden so hardcore?

That's true, when I was in Japan they were pretty hardcore into tradition too. I don't know why Sweden is so hardcore into tradition.

I think you started this part of good when you said, "I dunno", because that is perfectly true. You don`t know, you really don`t know. You don`t know or you don`t want to try and know so you label it as brainwashing. You comments are filled with hate and have an extreme focus on the color white.

Yes, yes, the poor whites are the victims of my hate.

Who are "they"? So when a real crisis happens "they" stand around paralyzed while you, the oh so glorious "other", takes care of business?

Pretty much, yeah. Must be why they need me in this country, huh?
+
Hamsterdam
post 26.Dec.2012, 09:20 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 26.Dec.2012, 04:41 PM) *
I don't think Hamsterdam likes Smiths much. Discrimination in the worst form.

Not true Smith, I like you despite the odd scalding I dish out biggrin.gif

It's Smyths I detest. Especially tosspots like David.
+
Hamsterdam
post 26.Dec.2012, 09:21 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (johnjohn @ 26.Dec.2012, 05:01 PM) *
He therefore is not a Morrissey fan.

That is true. Miserable misguided twat is Stephen.
+
Migga
post 26.Dec.2012, 09:50 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Dec.2012, 07:42 PM) *
That's true, when I was in Japan they were pretty hardcore into tradition too. I don't know why Sweden is so hardcore into tradition.Yes, yes, the poor whites are the ... (show full quote)

Ok, so it`s the yellow ones aswell. Well you not knowing won`t stop you from making things up I`ve noticed. I`m not the one talking about the poor whites as victim, you are the one talking about white this and white that. But it`s getting obvious you have some issues with something regarding it. And sure, they are very lucky to have you.
+
oddsock
post 26.Dec.2012, 10:57 PM
Post #22

I have no issues with it. But seeing as I've mostly lived in white European countries, that's the culture I have the most experience of.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 26.Dec.2012, 11:24 PM
Post #23

I think the "pro Swedes" on this forum are delighted to the "max" for your "left handed" compliments!!!!

Yes...I do!

And then there is this...are you ready?

STFU...and go home!

Simple really...I mean you must have escaped from your home grown "Hobbits" to get to Sweden, or against your will, they shipped you OUT!

And Sweden took you in...why bite the hand, etc..?...Or don't you know?

The miracle of modern transportation awaits you...need I say more?
+
oddsock
post 26.Dec.2012, 11:28 PM
Post #24

Hmmm, I didn't say anything negative about Sweden in this thread. Just that they cling to tradition and habits like a child clinging on to a security blanket. That's not negative, it's just an observation. biggrin.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 26.Dec.2012, 11:55 PM
Post #25

My last post was not directed toward you...but, it seems to have awakened a bit of you that feels a need to be "nice" now...forget it!!!

If your people are sooooo good...live with them...and if your root country is sooooo bad...then, go back and change it!

Everybody needs to be among their own people...why make Swedes the "bad guys"...obviously you don't like where you came from...so did your own "bad guys" chase you out or are you just a?????????
+
oddsock
post 27.Dec.2012, 12:26 AM
Post #26

Hmm, I left my "home country" when I was four and I have lived in five countries since. I am who I am, I don't need feel the need to be a part of any tribe. Let there be 7 billion different cultures and traditions in the world.

I wouldn't say my own people are really great either, but they are the first to admit when things go wrong in their country. Instead of telling everyone they live in the garden of Eden. Or The Shire, haha.
+
skogsbo
post 27.Dec.2012, 08:39 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (oddsock @ 26.Dec.2012, 11:28 PM) *
Hmmm, I didn't say anything negative about Sweden in this thread. Just that they cling to tradition and habits like a child clinging on to a security blanket. That's n ... (show full quote)

Name a society, tribe, nation ... that does not hang on to it's tradition, by the very meaning of the word they would not be traditions if the hadn't been repeated through the years, they would be one off events? wink.gif

I bet in every country you've been they have old traditions and probably some adopted some newer ones like Halloween, which has over taken All Saints in many countries, other traditions evolve, Xmas being originally a pagan mid winter feast, that was christianised many centuries ago, Mid Summer made less erotic with the addition of a cross, traditions evolve very slowly, unless there is money involved like with Halloween tat.

OP, Dave, you go online during your family time at Xmas, to complain about the Swedes lacking social communication skills? wink.gif I suspect you reap what you sow, in terms of your family, your sambos friends and your employees... as you have proven that you are not the most socially proficient person at times and that is by your own admission. Better to lead by example, give it 5 years for old opinions of you to change and you might find things have changed. In the past you have also shown a lack of perception, which could well be the case here?

Good luck to you though and keep plugging away at talking, (ie stay offline, the answers to life are rarely here!)
+
mångk
post 27.Dec.2012, 11:57 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (dave.smith @ 26.Dec.2012, 12:44 PM) *
How did I gain these insights? This year my family came to visit us in Sweden, as opposed to us traveling to the UK and SA as usual, and the cultural differences are difficult ... (show full quote)

Good to hear!
QUOTE (dave.smith @ 26.Dec.2012, 11:26 AM) *
I am generally a huge supporter of Sweden. In global terms, it's clean, safe, and has low levels of poverty. Noone can seriously argue these points. After many years, thou ... (show full quote)

Interesting observations Dave!

But in keeping with the 'Lord of the Rings' style commentary is it possible that your family are more representative of the 'Hobbits' and the other halfs Swedish relatives are more like the 'Elves'? (think about that for while wink.gif )

Overly chilled attitude... cause or effect?
+
oddsock
post 27.Dec.2012, 02:12 PM
Post #29

I bet in every country you've been they have old traditions and probably some adopted some newer ones like Halloween, which has over taken All Saints in many countries, other traditions evolve, Xmas being originally a pagan mid winter feast, that was christianised many centuries ago, Mid Summer made less erotic with the addition of a cross, traditions evolve very slowly, unless there is money involved like with Halloween tat.

For sure, but traditions like Christmas, Halloween, Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day in other countries have diversified somewhat. You can celebrate them in any way you want. In Sweden everybody celebrates everything in exactly the same way, have you noticed? There are very set rules as to how one celebrates a holiday. In that way there are similarities to other nations that have been historically fairly isolated from the world, such as Japan.

Take Midsommar for example. Everybody leaves the city, everybody scrubs the new potatoes and eats them with dill, everybody eats herring, everybody drinks the same schnapps and drinks the same songs, everybody does the same dance around the same type of pole, everybody eats the strawberries. Go into the centre of any Swedish city on this day and it will be empty, because everybody has left. All nine million of them doing exactly the same thing. I've always found it a bit sinister on a certain level. A weird thng to say, I know! Would it honestly kill them to do something else with their day off one year? Only Japan reaches the same level of cultural coordination.
+
Hisingen
post 27.Dec.2012, 02:29 PM
Post #30

Don't you just love The Local forums, so full of love and goodwill to your fellow man.
I just wonder how many vitriolic comments will be made during the coming year, now that we have survived the 'end of the world'.
Yorkshire being so damned stubborn about laws, Migga not liking Byke, the Smiths falling foul of someone else, oddsock failing to convince Semamus Sean, and Rick suddenly keeping quiet, not to mention Trow. At a guess we have a lot to look forward to in 2013 - or not - as the case may be.
Swede-bashers, racists, anti-Brits, trolls, all no doubt loading their pens with the latest and more powerful vitriolic ink to tempt others into entering a hopeless argument with them, where no-ones view is acceptable except their own. Bigotry is high on the agenda, as is the condemnation of all and everything just for the pure sake of it.
Personally I am of the opinion that the whole thing is getting to be a waste of time and effort to attempt to achieve anything of value, since the the opposition is such that nothing else matters but the sake of argument, seldom discussion.
Add to that the hopeless whingers and whiners complaining about this that and the other, It is worse than any agony column in the worst of the women's magazines.
To those who complain endlessly about Sweden and the Swedes, why did you come here? Why are you still here? No doubt you wouldn't fit in anywhere with your attitudes, since you are so negatively orientated to your surroundings.
So many keep asking endlessly for help, when a little searching of the Internet, or even earlier subjects within these forums could provide the answers. You are simply being lazy. There is such a thing as making an effort yourself and not expecting everything to be served up on a plate. You waste time and space, that others, who have questions that have not featured before, find their questions swamped and hidden and going unanswered. Or someone asks a question, gets answers, and then does not have the courtesy to say thank you. That is far from unknown.
You may or may not see me here next year - no doubt good news for a lot of you - it remains to be seen.
I wish you all a New Year - of your choice - happy or otherwise.
Onnnelista Uutta Vuotta
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com