• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish parenting style

Is let-kids-be-kids the norm, and why?

Migga
post 27.Dec.2012, 11:13 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (burlison @ 27.Dec.2012, 06:03 PM) *
hitting, pushing, shoving

Sorry but your experience isn`t representative for Sweden or Swedes. Swedish kids use less violence then in other countries so know that things are worse elsewhere.

http://www.thelocal.se/45050/20121213/

Kids should be allowed to be kids and the parents should only step in when necessary. They should learn for themselves. I think it`s alot better then an alternative which is more common in minority groups, which is beating the kids into behaving "properly". Swedes with a foreign background beat their kids worse and more often then swedish born Swedes.

http://bris.se/upload/Articles/BRIS-rapport_2011_webb.pdf
page 37
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 28.Dec.2012, 01:49 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 27.Dec.2012, 08:08 PM) *
when the parents finally meet their children they stick them in front of the TV

Are you sure you're not thinking of the UK now?
+
intrepidfox
post 28.Dec.2012, 12:51 PM
Post #18

Actually the UK as well as Sweden and probably many other countries.
+
byke
post 28.Dec.2012, 12:55 PM
Post #19

I think you will find that the UK has more stay at home parents.
So this assertion that the UK is on par in percentage of offset parenting (dagis and TV) is false.
+
Yorkshireman
post 28.Dec.2012, 01:10 PM
Post #20

OP, I am still wondering, if kids being kids is wrong as you imply in the title ... then what should kids be? Maybe the old ...Children should be seen not heard? rolleyes.gif
+
byke
post 28.Dec.2012, 01:18 PM
Post #21

... or better still, sterilised if they are the wrong type of Swede.

Seriously, this attempt to link victorian stereotyping in the sense of diversion is abundantly clear.
We can all make references that go as far back as pillaging, however we live in times of now ... not yesteryear.

Yorky, try and stick to the topic.
+
intrepidfox
post 28.Dec.2012, 01:40 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (byke @ 28.Dec.2012, 12:55 PM) *
I think you will find that the UK has more stay at home parents.. So this assertion that the UK is on par in percentage of offset parenting (dagis and TV) is false.

QUOTE (byke @ 28.Dec.2012, 01:18 PM) *
... or better still, sterilised if they are the wrong type of Swede.Seriously, this attempt to link victorian stereotyping in the sense of diversion is abundantly clear.We can ... (show full quote)

Byke-
I agree with you on both points but it is disturbing how the youngsters today (not all of them) have no respect. I´m off too the UK today and it´s always interesting to see how things have changed. Will there be more hoodies?
+
byke
post 28.Dec.2012, 02:12 PM
Post #23

I am sure you will will see whole slew of chavs and the likes in the UK.
However, the difference being diversity in society.

While different groups of undesirables may exist, this notion of acceptance as the standard norm classed as equal is what puts Sweden at a disadvantage. As while UK may have X amount of a$$holes, this notion of all things the same even in negative manners would equate to a whole nation of such if they followed the Swedish model.
+
AW1
post 28.Dec.2012, 02:27 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (byke @ 28.Dec.2012, 12:18 PM) *
... or better still, sterilised if they are the wrong type of Swede.. Yorky, try and stick to the topic.

Maybe you should try to stick to the topic yourself?

Are Swedish kids a bunch of unruly savages left to their own devices? Are kids from this generation worse then when I grew up in the 70's? Probably, but I'm pretty sure that's what the generation of my grandparents thought about us when I grew up.
+
byke
post 28.Dec.2012, 02:38 PM
Post #25

Firstly the start was used to highlight irony.

Secondly
What you fail to see, is that generalisation is one thing.
But when social pressure combined with a single track state of mind thinking by all and sundry.
Is basically putting all ones eggs into one basket.

Swedish society in the 70's and 80's is very different from today, not just in the mannerisms of its youth.
But also the numbers or percentages of children who attend dagis as a form of government parenting to in turn help generate extra taxes.

Most families in Sweden today cant afford for one parent to stay home anymore - and even if they can its a social faux par which is detrimental to the child as they have no one to play with since all the kids are generally being looked after by the state.

So such guidance of behaviour and teaching, has to be trusted in state sponsored employees.
Employees in a system that is often criticised for having standards that are too low.

Choice?
Nope not really.
+
Yorkshireman
post 28.Dec.2012, 02:47 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (byke @ 28.Dec.2012, 02:38 PM) *
Firstly the start was used to highlight irony.

QUOTE (byke @ 28.Dec.2012, 02:38 PM) *
Most families in Sweden today cant afford for one parent to stay home anymore - and even if they can its a social faux par which is detrimental to the child as they have no on ... (show full quote)

And that is the irony ...when it was Bykeism against the Swedish social services rescuing a child that was being isolated ...turns into Swedish parents shouldn't keep their kids home as it is detrimental to the child, as all others are in dagis etc... biggrin.gif

A key element to @Bykeism appears to be, if it is Swedish ...it is wrong. wink.gif
+
Seamus Sean
post 28.Dec.2012, 02:59 PM
Post #27

Why are you hopping on Byke??

You still haven´t explained how on some topics you try your dammest to compare Sweden to the UK and then on others you tell us it is impossible to compare both states.

I await your answer...should be a gud un, ay up and all that!
+
byke
post 28.Dec.2012, 03:09 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Yorkshireman @ 28.Dec.2012, 02:47 PM) *
And that is the irony ...when it was Bykeism against the Swedish social services rescuing a child that was being isolated ...turns into Swedish parents shouldn't keep thei ... (show full quote)

The irony really is what you have attempted to do is deflect yet again.
But in your feeble attempts to slander, all you have done is used terminology that equates my username as a person who endorses choice.

And the truth is, I actually like that attempt to defame as I do believe in choice.
And do not agree with this idea of removing peoples right to choice.

Maybe its time for you however to look for another country to peddle your communistic fascist ideology.
+
AW1
post 28.Dec.2012, 04:14 PM
Post #29

@byke: Seriously, do you want to come across as a condescending know it all on purpose?
Of course society is different know from the 70's and 80's. Most things are.

A lot of kids went to dagis when I grew up. I did myself, and so did most of my friends.
And for some reason most of us grew up to become decent human beings.

Are you saying that the system provided doesn't hold high enough standards? If so, I would have to disagree since I have friends and family that would testify to the opposite. Sure, it's not perfect, and improvements could be done, but on a whole it works.
+
byke
post 28.Dec.2012, 05:16 PM
Post #30

What I am saying is that in that Sweden has changed greatly in terms of how children are "parented".
And in the past 3 decades, the percentage of children cared for by a parent has gone from a majority to a minority.

And the changes we see happening in society today, wont be truly felt or noticed for many years to come.
No one can guess how society will change in the future, but as other on here have stated - Some feel that parent lack leadership or responsibility for their children. And look to offset any blame onto schools, teachers etc.

And while they may be to a certain extent correct regarding education both in social behaviour and education.
Parents cant expect to pass off all their responsibilities and look to then associate blame on often uneducated carers.

Both sides have their extreme views.
On one side we have the super marxist ideology, and on the other side which we often don't hear about we have what is often described as the christian based fundamentalists.

But where is the middle point?
Truth is, there isnt.

And so while I am not a huge fan of either end of the spectrum I will provide a link (grudgingly) to the select group of people in Sweden who dont believe the state is doing a very good job in their ideology to farm kids. Who may also have just as radical views.

But the key word here for parents, tax payers, families etc is CHOICE.
And the current model no longer supports such a notion, and in recent years has seen even more choices removed such as the right to language (other than swedish).

http://barnensratt.se
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options