• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Help! I need a License Fast and Not From EEA

Obtaining a Valid License ASAP

william9876
post 28.Dec.2012, 09:49 PM
Post #1

I managed to screw myself over a little by being careless and now, my Canadian license is expiring and I am a resident in Sweden. I don't have time to go through all the hoops to get a Swedish license so I am wondering if there is another way.

Basically, do you think it is possible to fly to another EEA country to take a driver's test and get a license or do you need to be a resident as a requirement in all of those countries? If it is possible, can it then be traded in for a Swedish license without issue or are there any complications from taking this route?

I will only do this if it is technically allowed. I don't want to break any rules but I am running out of time and need a license much faster than I can get one in Sweden (I have driven over 500,000km in Canada). If you guys think this is an option, I am open ears to recommendations of where to go and what to consider to do this and I'll even make a vacation out of it smile.gif

It is extremely frustrating that they don't allow a Canadian license to be transferred to Swedish given that Canada has safer driving statistics than half of the EEA.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 28.Dec.2012, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Not possible. EEA countries require you to be a resident with a permit >6 months before you are allowed to get a license.

International driving license recognition is more about politics than safety, e.g. Japanese licenses are recognized for transfer since EU and Japan has a mutual agreement. On the other hand, there is no mutual agreement between USA and EU since driving licenses in the US are a state, not a federal issue. I suspect this is true for Canada too.
+
william9876
post 29.Dec.2012, 02:50 AM
Post #3

Thanks a lot for the reply. So you think there is absolutely nothing that can be done as a Canadian? There is nowhere to go outside of Sweden where a license can be obtained?

Also, my Canadian license will still be valid through 2014 but my one year in Sweden will have passed much sooner. When the one year passes (is it from the date you get a personal number or the date they first tell you that you are approved to be a resident?) , I can still drive legally in every country in the world except Sweden with my Canadian license, right?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 29.Dec.2012, 03:13 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (william9876 @ 29.Dec.2012, 03:50 AM) *
Thanks a lot for the reply. So you think there is absolutely nothing that can be done as a Canadian? There is nowhere to go outside of Sweden where a license can be obtained?

No. You may however be able to get approval to use the license for longer than a year if you can show that your stay in Sweden is temporary.

QUOTE (william9876 @ 29.Dec.2012, 03:50 AM) *
Also, my Canadian license will still be valid through 2014 but my one year in Sweden will have passed much sooner. When the one year passes (is it from the date you get a pers ... (show full quote)

It is from the date you register as resident. You may use your Canadian license as usual outside Sweden.
+
Fernandis
post 29.Dec.2012, 03:46 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (william9876 @ 28.Dec.2012, 10:49 PM) *
I managed to screw myself over a little by being careless and now, my Canadian license is expiring and I am a resident in Sweden. I don't have time to go through all the h ... (show full quote)

YOU CAN DRIVE WITHOUT SWEDISH DRIVING LICENSE if you apply for a temporary driving permission in sweden, if you are not permanent resident of Sweden. You'd need following:
1. Letter from your employer that you are temporarily residing in Sweden. Your employer should mention in the letter that how long you intend to stay in Sweden ( for example, 3-5 years) and should also recommend for temporary driving permission.
2. copy of first two pages of your passport.
3. copy of your Canadian Driv lic.
4. payment receipt to Transport sytrelesen , i guess it is SEK 600. But confirm this with transport-styrelesen.
5. Cover letter from you, mentioning how long you want driving permission.

contact them at http://www.transportstyrelsen.se

Once you send these documents, call them after one week and ask about status of your application. Sometimes, case officer can immediately make decision when you call personally.
+
David S
post 29.Dec.2012, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Just to note, a few years back we decided to hire a motorhome and drive from Stockholm down through Europe. Problem was my Aussie licence had expired, so I had no choice but to go for the Swedish one.

I got my licence in less than 2 weeks after deciding to go for it. You just need to study hard and be flexible and willing to travel around for where you take the courses/tests.
+
beanjeanie
post 29.Dec.2012, 12:22 PM
Post #7

i did exactly all that in trying to prolong the validity of my aussie license here in Sweden.
In the end, time will catch up to you, in my case, i had to take my Swedish driving license test after all attempts to avoid it finally caught up to me.

Timeline of my driving license headache over the past couple of years...

1. i had to extend my aussie license as it expired (you are allowed to extend your aussie license only once whilst you are overseas). This was in my first year whilst i was in Sweden so i had to extend my aussie license so that i can continue to drive here using my aussie license in my first year.

2. After residing in Sweden for 12 months, i was in a position to apply for a temporary license extension for another 12 months as i satisfied the requirements mentioned in this thread. This only bought me another 12 months of time:)

3. 12 months later, i tried to apply for another extension but this time i was denied as they require more concrete information so the inevitable happened... i had to go through the whole process of obtaining a Swedish driving license. In total, it probably cost me around 4000 kr all up and took about 2.5-3 months to get my license. My tip is to get the Teo trafikskolan english theory question disc for the theory test and if you have been driving for a while, it should be pretty straightforward to pass the practical test.
+
Mark249
post 29.Dec.2012, 08:30 PM
Post #8

I've heard a lot of interesting stories about Greece lately...
+
william9876
post 30.Dec.2012, 12:02 AM
Post #9

Ha, what are you implying about Greece? Is there no country at all that allows you to get a license without legal residency? I have heard some people go to Poland or get a UK license but not sure how that works...
+
chazza
post 30.Dec.2012, 12:20 AM
Post #10

I think the implication is pretty clear rolleyes.gif

The strategic greasing of palms can buy you what you want in certain countries and Greece may be one of them.

I mean how else did they get so far up the economic creek if not for graft and corruption ?
+
william9876
post 30.Dec.2012, 02:10 AM
Post #11

Ha, I see. Well I'm not sure that will pass my personal smell test, but can look into it. As I originally said, I don't want to personally do anything that is illegal. If it is something that is just frowned on or something but not actually against the rules, I would be more open to it than usual given my current situation.

If something like this Greek implication is hectically legal for me, how the heck would I find out how to go about getting this license? I assume it isn't easy to just google for a situation like this so I wouldn't have the faintest clue how to proceed. If it is against the rules in Sweden, please do let me know.
+
william9876
post 30.Dec.2012, 02:12 AM
Post #12

Also, I do read this:

http://livingingreece.gr/2007/05/21/greek-drivers-license/

In Greece, Canadian licenses can be converted. How the hell can they have different rules than Sweden when licenses in the EEA are valid in all places. Well anyway, don't need to dwell on that, but it says they can be converted without even a test. So the real issue is that I am a resident in Sweden (and a happy one!) and not Greece. So what would my option be?
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 30.Dec.2012, 02:43 AM
Post #13

Clearly the option is to become a long term resident of Greece, or you could just take the test.
+
chazza
post 30.Dec.2012, 03:11 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (william9876 @ 30.Dec.2012, 01:10 AM) *
Ha, I see. Well I'm not sure that will pass my personal smell test, but can look into it. As I originally said, I don't want to personally do anything that is illegal. ... (show full quote)

Of course the greasing of a palm to get a licence in Greece or any other country is not legal ! It may be possible but
IT IS NOT LEGAL

Start learning for the test mate ! we are just playing with you. However you sound like you would cross over to the dark side if you were guaranteed not to get busted laugh.gif
+
ahm
post 30.Dec.2012, 06:52 PM
Post #15

@william9876 The federal state is not problem for exchanging canada driving license, cause Australia and New Zealand is not exchangable also

USA,CANADA,AUSTRALIA and New Zealand driving licenses are neglected as per Transportstyrelsen in SWEDEN.

And there are in EU/EAA countries wich exchage these countries D/L like GREECE,GERMANY ,FRANCE,Swistzerland,,,etc

The fact that there is no agreement between SWEDEN and CANADA but there is agreement between GERMANY and CANADA for example

And SWEDEN says that it has good relation as EU with CANADA and ofcourse USA , but practically there is nothing except visa free visit for CANADA and vise versa and ESTA to USA like all of VISA WAIVER COUNTRIES PROGRAM

like Malasia, Germany,Swiss,,,,etc and so on for 36 countries on this PROGRAM

The question is:
Why EMBASSY of CANADA in stockholm and also USA EMBASSY in stockholm will not care for citizens and they will not sign agreement with SWEDEN (Transportstyrelsen)?

As you are CANADIAN citizen ,why you dont contact your Embassy for this issue ,if they are really consern to help you as they advertise on their home page of the Embassy >>>http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/sweden-suede/offices-bureaux/services.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

thanks
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options