• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Large demonstration in Malmö yesterday (saturday) ?

Political protest?

Offshore
post 30.Dec.2012, 11:29 PM
Post #1

I was in Malmö for the weekend and as we went into town on saturday afternoon there was a very large gathering of what appeared to be a islamic religious march. The overwhelming reaction of the locals was of confusion as around 700 people gathered with large banners, flags and signs and marched through the busiest street in the city on a saturday afternoon. There were a few children handing out leaflets which proclaimed that this was the festival or day of Ashura and that these marches were happening all over the world at the same time. I took a leaflet and read it and the few signs in swedish were all peaceful and based on Ashura and proclaiming the name of the martyr Imam Hussein. I watched with interest and followed along. All went very peacefully and I thought the people of Malmö were very understanding and respectful although more than a little confused, but appeared to recognize the right to acknowledge an important day in the culture of many of their city folk.
On returning home I did a little more reading to try and understand more. I found out that the day of Ashura actually was 25 november not the 29 december and was celebrated around the world on this day. How can they have been more than a month out in Malmö? Further reading revealed that this was perhaps actually a protest agains Israel, but dressed up as Ashura. Could this really be correct? Surely nobody would try and pull this off on such a large scale and try and dupe the rest of the city into such a scam. It is at best very bad judgement at worst very insulting. Please tell me I am massively mistaken here. I feel totally mislead and misinformed by the people I spoke to and the fact that they handed out leaflets claiming it was ashura seems like a blatant case of misdirection of the public to me in order to carry out a very large scale political demonstration. Again please someone convince me I have misread all this, otherwise this is a very serious problem.
Go to the top of the page
+
jeff9556
post 30.Dec.2012, 11:43 PM
Post #2

I very much doubt Malmö muslims would bother to "dress up a protest" against Israel. There is plenty of on anti-Zionism here, who can blame them...

Some kids handed out some pamphlets that are out of date, oh dear, what enormous problems we have here in Malmö.

Why on earth would you think people are confused? There are marches all the time, no one gives a hoot. I think you were confused, and still are.
+
Offshore
post 31.Dec.2012, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Yes you are right I am confused and that is why I was asking on here. I am very much a believer of integration and have always said that it could be one of Malmös greatest strengths in that it is so diverse. However communication is the most important thing. I know people were confused because i was walking down the street along side the march and heard what people were openly saying and not just to themselves. I am appalled by intolerance in whatever shape or form and invariably bad communication and a lack of respect are the causes. What I saw yesterday was a case of this on both sides. I thought it was great that a large march could happen and the ideology of Imam Hussein of freedom from tyranny and corruption and understanding is a good message to spread. What I am slightly concerned about is that if this was used to hoodwink the city to what perhaps was a different agenda altogether. This could have been the perfect occasion to inform via the media beforehand and involve the community through education to bridge our divides, yet this did not happen and as you say - out of date leaflets were handed out to make people believe this was something entirely different.
Yes I am confused, and as I am not a Malmö local I am trying to understand. I know there are problems, but are they so big and are people so divided that they do not communicate in any way?
+
Migga
post 31.Dec.2012, 12:12 AM
Post #4

Some minority groups don`t want to communicate or integrate, they want to do their own thing. Protesting in a language that noone in the majority society can read is one way of doing so. They exclude others and at the same time include their own.
+
Pursuivant
post 31.Dec.2012, 02:54 AM
Post #5

Well if it was a protest against Israel nobody gave a hoot either, so whats the problem?
+
byke
post 31.Dec.2012, 10:39 AM
Post #6

Would such a protest be considered anti Swedish, since yiddish is an official sub language of Sweden.
+
Offshore
post 31.Dec.2012, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Well if it was a protest against Israel nobody gave a hoot either, so whats the problem?

The question was - why have a protest against something and not let the people around you know what you are protesting against? Furthermore - why actively misinform people that it is actually something else? Several people involved in the demonstration who I spoke to told me all about Ashura and not once did they mention any form of protest. None of the signs in swedish mentioned anything about a protest either. The only mention was a small article in Sydsvenskan the day after. I will accept that it is still entirely possible that I am mistaken, and that it was a delayed Ashura for whatever reason, however unlikely. If a group want to protest against Israel and show support for Palestine, then that is fine. We have that right to express ourselves and freedom to peacefully protest. People are doing it all over the western world. The point is somewhat lost if you do not make it clear. I am certainly naive when it comes to the politics of Malmö, but I have lived and worked all over the world, including the Middle East, the Balkans and Northern Ireland. I have seen first hand the effects of segregation and sectarianism and on many occasions been caught right in the middle of it. It reminded me very much of the early stages of that, with two communities moving further apart. It is hard to be optimistic about the future in such a climate. Ignoring it and saying “nobody gives a hoot” is certainly not going to make the problem go away. I hope for the sake of Malmö that is not the general opinion, and that people are making real attempts to communicate and form bridges in the communities otherwise the future is very scary for Malmö.
+
Svensksmith
post 31.Dec.2012, 01:37 PM
Post #8

Perhaps it was just a demonstration of power.
+
Pursuivant
post 31.Dec.2012, 03:07 PM
Post #9

Ignoring it and saying “nobody gives a hoot” is certainly not going to make the problem go away.

Yes indeed, you'd need to stop welfare benefits for that to happen.
+
andy_so
post 1.Jan.2013, 10:57 AM
Post #10

Its odd since my wife was there that day and didnt see anything.
but if it was that type of a demostration, then thats just plain odd. As an israeli person living in sweden im always baffeled as to why people care so much for what happens half way on the other side of the world in a tiny country, not much bigger than halland and a part of skåne combined... o well...
+
Offshore
post 1.Jan.2013, 12:05 PM
Post #11

It started I guess around 3 in the afternoon and there were reported 600-700 people taking part. They walked up through the main walking street and through town. You could not miss it if you were there as you could not walk the opposite way down the street. You had to get out of the way and wait till it passed. It was over after about an hour once they had moved through town.
+
andy_so
post 1.Jan.2013, 12:59 PM
Post #12

is my wife cheating on me? >.< haha guess ill give her the benifit of the doubt since she was working that day...
+
jvtx3232
post 4.Jan.2013, 06:28 PM
Post #13

The Swedish Defence League is actually planning a big demonstration in Malmö for this coming spring. I might go to that one to support SDL.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se