• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

ComHem, Telia or what?

Which internet/TV provider would you recommend?

Somebody
post 1.Jan.2013, 05:29 PM
Post #1

Need to get internet/TV contract.
Which company would you recommend?

Now I rent an apartment in the building which has Comhem coverage. Not sure about other providers.
BTW, how does it work? Is it kind of DIY thing or they send down a technician to set everything up?
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Jan.2013, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Since your house is prepared for ComHem it means that you can get greater speeds than with other operators.

ComHem will use the cable connection while other operators will use the phone network (ADSL), assuming that you have no ethernet in you house.

Depending on space/distance from base stations you may only have a selected choice of possible operators.

In any case, they will not send a technician over. Instead they will send you a router with instructions how to hook it up.
+
Gchinese
post 1.Jan.2013, 08:28 PM
Post #3

I am also checking out the same thing. Just called Boxer. It seems like they have great coverage. I think, not sure, that I have canal digital built in in the apartment but then Boxer told me they have a transmission station which is only 3km from my address and if I get an attenna, I should be able to get good coverage. Com hem is expensive. Boxer has better selection of packages and better prices, I think.
+
Somebody
post 1.Jan.2013, 09:12 PM
Post #4

Thanks guys smile.gif
can I check online Boxer's coverage? It sounds good but they do not have good broadband offers
and I can't find any combined offers (internet and tv)
+
cartenui
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Do not get anything related to "antena" / adsl", its shit. They will be like "oh your in good range". You Are Not. Its all lies and u will call customer service for months. if you have access to fiberoptics Use it. There's plenty of providers, i assure you if you live in a decent size city you will most likely have access to it. There's something called "city net" or "stadsnät" in alot of cities, check if you got access to it.

nr1: Check if com hem is included in rent in any way. Some com hem houses have atleast 14 channels or so included in rent.

nr2: Check if you have access to fiberoptics in your house / apartment, you can either A: go into for example http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/bredband/index.html http://bahnhof.se/priv/bredband and check if its available at your zip code. B: Check your hallway or around your house for the ethernet wall plug (mostly a small box in hallway).

nr3: check with diffrent providers and read about their packages, i can recommend bahnhof and bredbandsbolaget whilst tell you to stay away from companies like telia / tele2. Not because the connection is bad but because they will drain you for money. they have alot of "added costs" which doesn't show in the original price.

Com Hem is decent, but i would recommend getting something else.
And customer support for com hem + tele2 + telia is horrid.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:25 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (cartenui @ 3.Jan.2013, 04:09 PM) *
Do not get anything related to "antena" / adsl", its shit. They will be like "oh your in good range". You Are Not. Its all lies and u will call custom ... (show full quote)

ADSL can be sketchy but "antenna", i.e. ComHem through the antenna socket usually works flawlessly, at least up to 100/100. If you have ethernet connection you should use it, but most houses don't have it, so until then antenna is better than ADSL.
+
Commie
post 6.Jan.2013, 08:10 AM
Post #7

Stay away from Comhem, it has awful phone support from what I have experienced, and I am using Comhem for 4 years already because there is no other choice in my house. They supply you with Netgear CG3100 which is an awful piece of hardware, it cannot handle heavy network traffic such as torrents well, there are problems with UPnP closing and if you are using applications where low latency is important such as games or streaming, you will have to turn off build-in NAT which disables firewall as well, which will leave you exposed to internet threats but at least you will have better pings. Also Comhem does not support IPv6 yet, often has DNS problems, slow connection to Asia/Americas, and their recent idiotic commercials with a ginger housewife makes you want to puke in the towel.

If you understood nothing I wrote above, any internet will do for you really, you don't need decent ISP to watch youtube, browse and open up the emails. But if you are serious about connection quality I would consider Bredbandsbolaget as I've heard very good words about it.
+
Abe L
post 8.Jan.2013, 12:05 PM
Post #8

In general I've found Telia to be the most professional and best quality. Naturally quality for an internet connection is a very subjective concept but in the case of Telia it just works, it's fast and it delivers the speeds I pay for 24/7.

I've previously had Tele2 ADSL and ComHem Cable, both with mostly negative experiences. Not getting the speed I pay for, bad support (as in they had no interest in solving my problem) and then with ComHem some billing issues which literally took months to resolve.

You pay a little premium with Telia but if you value a stable and fast connection that just works, I'd sign up with them.
+
timmah
post 8.Jan.2013, 02:19 PM
Post #9

About the CG3100 as supplied by ComHem. I spent some time looking at this piece of crap, and worked out that if you buy a decent wireless router separately and just use the CG3100 as a modem (IE use the CG3100 in bridge mode) this will solve all your problems with games/streaming/torrents. This was after frustration with ViaPlay streaming (for the F1!) and PS3 game issues. Now all is good.

Hopefully this will help some other poor soul who has this modem!

If you find you have DNS issues (I think I had this once...) use google DNS!
+
Somebody
post 8.Jan.2013, 05:35 PM
Post #10

thanks guys

@cartenui

This building is not covered by fiber-optic broadband
I have ethernet socket in the hallway indeed, but what does it change anyway?

I have done a few online tests and works out I can get 30Mb from Telia and 24 Mb from Bredband B.
These seems slow to me. I do a lot of online streaming and some downloading.

Comhem says I can have up to 200Mb..not sure how to looak at this "up to" smile.gif
+
Willy
post 8.Jan.2013, 06:30 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Somebody @ 8.Jan.2013, 05:35 PM) *
I have ethernet socket in the hallway indeed, but what does it change anyway?

Then you should find out who provides that service. Usually it's faster, cheaper, and more reliable than either DSL or cable. Try connecting a computer and see if you can get an IP address. Sometimes you can order the service directly from there.
+
oddsock
post 8.Jan.2013, 07:10 PM
Post #12

Yep, my apartment came with an Ethernet port. I plugged in the laptop, the browser worked and I was able to order internet there and then through the portal page that came up. If you have the option, choose Bahnhof. Very reliable company - famous for hosting Wikileaks.

I get 100 Mbit upload and download speed through this service.
+
Somebody
post 8.Jan.2013, 07:18 PM
Post #13

I actually have 2 types of sockets as on this website:

http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/bredband/index.html

you mean you have plugged your PC to the ethernet socket and the defaulf website was the internet provider's one?
+
oddsock
post 8.Jan.2013, 08:10 PM
Post #14

The website that came up in my case was a page where I could choose from a number of providers. In your case it may be a single provider, I don't know.
+
Somebody
post 8.Jan.2013, 10:43 PM
Post #15

thanks a lot
I will get a cable from my work tomorrow, plug it in and see what is coming up.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se