• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Sweden looses to Finland

More than a sweet tooth?

byke
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:38 AM
Post #1

So Finland is ranked #1, with Sweden in a miserable second place.
However this isn't a story of national pride ... far from it.

This is a story that reflects the health of Swedish children.

Not good.

Given that Sweden has more McDonalds per capita than anywhere else in the world, could this type of food related lifestyle finally be having an impact on the kids?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2013/Jan/uk...s-92585756.html

http://www.webmd.boots.com/diabetes/news/2...type-1-diabetes

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/01/02/281435/diabetic/

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Type-1-d...tail/story.html
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 3.Jan.2013, 08:03 AM
Post #2

QUOTE (byke @ 3.Jan.2013, 02:38 AM) *
Given that Sweden has more McDonalds per capita than anywhere else in the world, could this type of food related lifestyle finally be having an impact on the kids?

More random incorrect facts?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/foo_mcd_...lds-restaurants

I'll let you do the maths, but Sweden doesn't have the most per captia, the UK has more than Sweden to start with.

Secondly, the article about diabetics, refers to it being genetics driven, does McDs sell genetic changing food? wink.gif

Finally, per GDP, New Zealand has the highest McDs consumption. All facts are available online and checkable, you don't need to make them up . smile.gif
+
skogsbo
post 3.Jan.2013, 08:06 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (byke @ 3.Jan.2013, 02:38 AM) *

Maybe in some towns and cities, but many rural areas are 40-50km from a McDs and as for the kids, most I've seen here are far more active and thinner than the little tubbies in the UK. I take a loose average of course, so feel free to post some comparative UK/Sweden obesity statistics. smile.gif
+
skogsbo
post 3.Jan.2013, 08:25 AM
Post #4

EDIT- the usual website problems, but I will add that I meant the UK does have slightly more per capita, but Sweden isn't the winner.(before Byke leaps at me).
+
AW1
post 3.Jan.2013, 09:32 AM
Post #5

@byke: did you actually read the articles that you provided?
From one of the links:

Type 1 diabetes

Type 1 diabetes (unlike type 2) is not linked to obesity or lifestyle and scientists don't fully understand why there is such wide variation worldwide, however, genetics and the environment are thought to play a role.

The type 1 diabetes charity Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) says the most common age for developing type 1 diabetes is between 10 and 14 but in recent years the greatest increase in incidence has been in the under-fives.

There is nothing that children with type 1, or their parents, could have done to prevent them developing the condition.
+
Gordy
post 3.Jan.2013, 10:46 AM
Post #6

It's also worth pointing out that Sweden has the lowest number of Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant's in the western world! laugh.gif

There used to be a McDonald's in Ronneby but it closed down a few years ago that may explain why Ronneby is the second worst town for youth unemployment in Sweden.

And Bromolla, the worst town in the country for youth unemployment doesn't have a McDonald's either!

Can there be a connection?
+
byke
post 3.Jan.2013, 12:25 PM
Post #7

Its a very interesting scenario.
As I dont believe this is solely a genetic disorder, as over the past 60 or 70 years Sweden has seen great changes to its gene pool.

Obviously as AW1 has pointed out, children at a very young age have little they can do to prevent such. But children over a certain age who develop such, then lifestyle must have an effect on such a condition.

While obviously fast food was just one area touched on, there must be other areas that effect such conditions. Which when combined play a large part in the condition.

Is there a great amount of lay about kids in Sweden who dont get enough exercise?

Such as shootem up xbox kids?

Poor diet ?

Could sunlight add to this condition, in the same way that MS is more prominent in darker countries.

Environmental pollution?

Too much weekend sweets?

Too many fika breaks?

Either way, the irony is Sweden is ranked #2 in this horrible sickness.
The question is, what could help improve this?

As even if certain posters want to compare this to the UK, even though it bares no relevance.
The comparison between actual numbers is a huge disadvantage for Sweden and its sufferers.
As while the UK may be ranked number 5 compared to Swedens number 2, percentage wise ... Sweden has a much greater problem to help with.
+
byke
post 3.Jan.2013, 01:24 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 3.Jan.2013, 08:03 AM) *
More random incorrect facts?http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/foo_mcd_...lds-restaurants I'll let you do the maths, but Sweden doesn't have the most per captia, the UK ... (show full quote)

Actually,
You would appear to be wrong again.

I did make a cock up as I said Sweden had the most MCD's per capita in the "World" rather than "Europe", in which I had intended.

But it would seem that Sweden does have the most MCD's in Europe per capita.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=597300
+
byke
post 3.Jan.2013, 01:51 PM
Post #9

Sweden:0.252 per 10,000 population
United Kingdom:0.184 per 10,000 population
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:13 PM
Post #10

Another pitiful example of...BYKEISM ohmy.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:18 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 3.Jan.2013, 08:03 AM) *
refers to it being genetics driven, does McDs sell genetic changing food? wink.gif

It might just do ... they say the burgers are meat, but something mutates in the process, because that certainly isn't what ends up with the consumer biggrin.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:28 PM
Post #12

Come to think of it...

QUOTE (AW1 @ 3.Jan.2013, 09:32 AM) *
Type 1 diabetes (unlike type 2) is not linked to obesity or lifestyle and scientists don't fully understand why there is such wide variation worldwide, however, genetics a ... (show full quote)

+
QUOTE (byke @ 3.Jan.2013, 12:25 PM) *
As I dont believe this is solely a genetic disorder, as over the past 60 or 70 years Sweden has seen great changes to its gene pool.

Maybe there is a Nobel Prize in it for You @byke, publish Your theories and beat the real scientists to understanding Type 1 diabetes. wink.gif

...maybe if You follow the path the cloud from Chernobyl took, there was some fall-out (pun intended) on the populations. ohmy.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 3.Jan.2013, 02:35 PM
Post #13

Wondeful! Another example of byke logic... I really wonder what this man does for a living...
+
Gordy
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:00 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 3.Jan.2013, 02:35 PM) *
I really wonder what this man does for a living...

He designs bikes, does he not?
+
AW1
post 3.Jan.2013, 03:15 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (byke @ 3.Jan.2013, 11:25 AM) *
Obviously as AW1 has pointed out, children at a very young age have little they can do to prevent such. But children over a certain age who develop such, then lifestyle must h ... (show full quote)

Again, medical science still do not know the exact causes of Type 1 Diabetes. Only two items from your list of possible causes are discussed in most medical journals, lack of sun and pollution.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se