• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

Post Office... A disaster waiting to happen...

Vital care package lost. Xmas Ruined...

Kloklo
post 5.Jan.2013, 07:07 AM
Post #1

Hi,

I'm a newcomer, a student actually that just spend the worst holidays ever.

So I miscalculated a few things and I was stuck in Sweden for the holidays all alone. My mother like any other mother send me two packages. But let's start from the beginning.

In December three things happened that proved to me that the Swedish post office is actually worse that the Greek one and imagine that Greece is struggling on every level and yet they never messed up so bad. Actually they never did...

1) I get a message from amazon your package has arrived. Note that no slip ever comes if amazon has the courtesy to send me such an email. As I had classes I went to get it not the next day but the morning after that. Guess what. The package had been send back on the second day. That means in less than 24 hours.. Wow!

2) The second care package of my mother was left in the local super market for over two weeks because the post office never send me a note in order to actually claim it...

3) The first package as is been tracked by the Greek post office it was scanned in Malmö as arrived on the 18th of December at 14:10 and according to my super market they cannot find it in the system... That package you -I'm not going to swear but yeah I'm sooo pissed off right now- contained my notes for my assignment that I have to hand in THIS FRIDAY, Christmas sweets and my Christmas presents, as well as an expensive piece of clothing! So you ruined everything! My holidays, my studying plan... Everything!

So now what? Honestly... Now what? Where am I going to find my package? How am I going to find my package? I filled a complain online and surprise, surprise if I wanted to fill one in english I was supposed to know Swedish in order to register! And what do I get as a reply from the system mind you? We will get back to you in 30 days... Well guess what! The Christmas food will spoil! The sweater will probably be affected, the notes will be useless and my assignment will be handed in the last minute as I'll have to retrieve everything again and I have no idea how!

And the irony? My mother paid about 50 euros for the first package to get here in time... And let's not forget that they lost my mother's birthday card three months ago...
Go to the top of the page
+
JulieLou40
post 5.Jan.2013, 12:00 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Kloklo @ 5.Jan.2013, 07:07 AM) *
So now what? Honestly... Now what? Where am I going to find my package? How am I going to find my package? I filled a complain online and surprise, surprise if I wanted to fil ... (show full quote)

Not much point raving to other expats. We're not Posten. Why don't you send this same message to them?
+
elk200
post 5.Jan.2013, 12:08 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Kloklo @ 5.Jan.2013, 07:07 AM) *
And the irony? My mother paid about 50 euros for the first package to get here in time... And let's not forget that they lost my mother's birthday card three months ago...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it would probably have been cheaper (and, in my experience) more reliable with UPS. And yeah, I agree, Posten is not reliable. That said: Relying on hand-written notes in the digital age - that one's on you.
+
Puffin
post 5.Jan.2013, 02:05 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (elk200 @ 5.Jan.2013, 12:08 PM) *
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it would probably have been cheaper (and, in my experience) more reliable with UPS.

Not always - cannot tell you how many bad UPS experiences we have had including
- daughter's present that we paid a huge sum for extra speedy courier delivery - actually arriving after the non-present stuff we had ordered on standard delivery as UPS decided not to deliver it themselves and instead wasted time by placing the Amazon packet in a UPS box sending it in the regular post
- out BCS Christmas food order - UPS sent me an e-mail that delivery would be on Dec 7th - so I rearranged my schedule to come home to a "failed delivery" note that they had been to deliver on Dec 6th

OP postal times always vary and take longer during the Christmas period owing to the backlog created by all of the red days - although something seems to have gone very wrong with parcels sent back after 2 days

Sometimes problems occur as a result of poor packing by the sender - the UK store M&S used to use crappy boxes that always ripped during shipping (I had warned them several times) - once my order arrived in a Gevalia coffee box as several M&S boxes had disintegrated at Stockholm post terminal - I gained someone elses order of candle holders
+
byke
post 5.Jan.2013, 03:35 PM
Post #5

Generally the postal and delivery service in Sweden can be a real pain depending on your location. I have to trape to some food store that is no where close to where I lived as the bought the rights to handle to post for my post code ... even though there are other postal points much closer to me.

I had an item that showed it arrived (online tracking) at my so called post office (via schenker) on the 19th and a letter sent on the 20? ... said letter didnt arrive until the 27th and I collected it the same day. I then got another letter yesterday for a parcel to collect, and it was for the one that I collected on the 27th (a reminder) ... so I wasted a journey there.

Generally UPS are a god send for me, based on my location.
But Schenker is the devils piss, especially as they change the tracking numbers when they get to sweden.

Different horses, different courses.
+
Commie
post 5.Jan.2013, 07:58 PM
Post #6

Hey, were you that dude who had some problems with the post in Hemköp Farsta? There was a English speaking guy upset about his package, which apparently was also in a loop of the postal system. Was that you? If so - small world, if not - something is really messed up right now in Posten, because I saw 4 other people having problems receiving the packages, on two occasions I picked mine since the New Year.
+
Investor612
post 5.Jan.2013, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Our family members in Asia get mail and packages from the US faster than those is Sweden, often a week earlier.

Last Christmas the contents of a package we sent were ruined because the Swedish mail delivery person left it exposed to the rain while on his route.

Don't know first hand how typical that is, but talking to Swedish family members they seemed very dissatisfied with the quality of their mail service.
+
JulieLou40
post 6.Jan.2013, 12:27 AM
Post #8

We've got great posties round here, who often go above and beyond the call of duty, especially when it's Christmas and I shop mostly online wink.gif

I think a lot depends on the individuals...and we have no complaints.
+
texaslass
post 6.Jan.2013, 12:48 PM
Post #9

I agree that one should use UPS- I have never had a problem. As well, it is a private company, so (in my opinion) it is more trustworthy than the public sector.
+
Puffin
post 6.Jan.2013, 02:51 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (JulieLou40 @ 6.Jan.2013, 12:27 AM) *
We've got great posties round here, who often go above and beyond the call of duty, especially when it's Christmas and I shop mostly online wink.gif

Our posties are fantastic as well
- they have delivered stuff that people addressed to our old address that we moved from in 2005
- If they have a package for me they drive up the drive and knock on the door and since I injured my knee they carry it into the house for me biggrin.gif

UPS are utter crap though - they refuse to deliver the DVD and put it in a UPS box the regular post BUT then they *do* deliver other larger items. They claim it is because we are "too rural" yet I live only 1 hour from their main sorting office and I regularly see UPS vans on the main road 2 mins from my house. I think they lowball contracts with big providers (such as UK Amazon) and then pick and choose where/when they deliver angry.gif

However I must say that DHL are delighful people (used by Canadian Amazon) and have no trouble delivering to our address
+
Puffin
post 6.Jan.2013, 02:53 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (texaslass @ 6.Jan.2013, 12:48 PM) *
I agree that one should use UPS- I have never had a problem. As well, it is a private company, so (in my opinion) it is more trustworthy than the public sector.

Yeah - they rely on the Post Office to do part of their jobs they have contracted for but don't fancy doing so hardly a comprehensive or reliable service rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
+
sidkth
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:59 PM
Post #12

I did have problems with letters instead, it happen many times that i receive my neighbors letters. and my letters goes to my neighbors as well. And it is getting worst with new apartments numbering system, Posten no longer looks at names just the number, the girl who used to live at my apartment moved to the next door, and I still(almost one year now) gets her letters (with things like H&M club, etc).
+
160kph
post 6.Jan.2013, 06:32 PM
Post #13

An american friend of mine was recently clearing the junk mail that was building up on the floor by the postboxes in his flat. He found an important letter from the American embassy addressed to him relating to his passport application. I guess the postman delivered it to the wrong address and rather then post it in the correct box the person who received the letter just dumped it on the floor with all the junk.
+
Hisingen
post 7.Jan.2013, 12:52 AM
Post #14

Credit where credit is due, I have never had any problem with either the postal service or any carrier in my 50 years here. In the very early days I even had a letter delivered that was only addressed to:- My name, Göteborg, Gothenburg, Sweden, and I was living c/o a family in Gbg. The postal service is slightly less convenient at times, since large parcels have to be collected down in the village, 6km away, but in the past, items ordered, such as a garden tractor, and a couple of large water butts, have actually been delivered - by post - to the door.
A broken garden fork was replaced by the UK maker, and delivered by courier - within four days of my e-mail telling of the break. A faulty electronic unit declared to the maker in the days before Christmas was replaced and arrived between Christmas and the New Year just gone, and a package from Amazon, ordered Dec.19 was delivered by post Dec.27.
So it is not all bad news. And I have never had anything go astray. Am I just lucky, or is it that services can, and do work.
+
Snood
post 7.Jan.2013, 10:38 AM
Post #15

I must say, Since I moved to Sweden I haven't had any problems with Posten or indeed any of the couriers. I always receive either an e-mail, SMS or posted notice when there's something to collect and luckily I've not had anything go missing (yet?).

Before I moved here however I did have a problem with them, I had a package sent to me one summer while I was on a multi-month visit. It was addressed to me with a C/O also. The item was returned with the notification that I could not be found... I complained to them suggesting that instructions on how to find me were clearly written on the front of the package in the form of an address. I never received a response...

In the UK, I never had any major post office problems (the occasional delay) but had problems with all of the major couriers with the exception of UPS who always provided an exceptional service.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se