• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

What does Lagom really mean?

Has anyone in this Swede bashing forum cracked it?

Pursuivant
post 9.Jan.2013, 03:37 PM
Post #16

Less good than belief would have it
Is mead for the sons of men:
A man knows less the more he drinks,
Becomes a befuddled fool,

A gluttonous man who guzzles away
Brings sorrow on himself:
At the table of the wise he is taunted often,
Mocked for his bloated belly,

It is best for man to be middle-wise,
Not over cunning and clever:
The fairest life is led by those
Who are deft at all they do.

No man is able to know his future,
So let him sleep in peace.

The learned man whose lore is deep
Is seldom happy at heart.
Go to the top of the page
+
Pursuivant
post 9.Jan.2013, 04:24 PM
Post #17

Once he has won wealth enough,
A man should not crave for more:
What he saves for friends, foes may take;
Hopes are often liars.
+
Hisingen
post 9.Jan.2013, 05:23 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (CathySky @ 5.Jan.2013, 09:16 PM) *
Lagom = just right.

Sure, but as with everything concerned with lagom, it has different meanings in different circumstances, and the number is almost endless. It is simply one of those words that has uses everywhere and for which there IS NO English direct equivalent. It is ubiquitous. It is fascinating, it can be annoying, but it is there, and there is little you can do about it.
It provides topic for a conversation, an argument - as long as the argument is lagom, otherwise if it gets out of hand then it is no longer lagom.

Oh. and I forgot - you can spread the word - on your bread - as 'Lätt och Lagom'

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
+
byke
post 9.Jan.2013, 05:46 PM
Post #19

Half Assed.
More than enough.
No more, no less ... its all thats on offer.
Mediocre
Bog Standard
+
skogsbo
post 9.Jan.2013, 05:49 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (byke @ 9.Jan.2013, 05:46 PM) *
Half Assed.. More than enough.. No more, no less ... its all thats on offer.. Mediocre

Perfect
Sufficient
Satisfied
Comfortable
Content
Just so
Never too much, nor too little
or just like the baby bears porridge wink.gif
+
skogsbo
post 9.Jan.2013, 05:53 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 9.Jan.2013, 05:23 PM) *
Sure, but as with everything concerned with lagom, it has different meanings in different circumstances, and the number is almost endless. It is simply one of those words that ... (show full quote)

it's like tightening a nut with a torque wrench, you get it just so, neither too much or too little, but the value it's set to changes with every object! And there are no universal rules for what the value is, you have to find out for everything separately, then you'll know what the setting / lagom is for all things!
+
byke
post 9.Jan.2013, 06:11 PM
Post #22

Is the glass half empty, or half full?
Neither, the glass is twice as big as it should be.
+
Hisingen
post 9.Jan.2013, 06:27 PM
Post #23

This one is for the optimist or the pessimist, not the 'lagomist' - he is only interested in the alcohol content.
+
Pursuivant
post 10.Jan.2013, 11:14 AM
Post #24

Zen: Is the glass half empty, or half full?
Lagom: Skål.
+
Sun67
post 18.Jan.2013, 01:46 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (CathySky @ 5.Jan.2013, 08:16 PM) *
Lagom = just right.

How I would desribe it. But, also, it is to describe how they do things in moderation - for example, never showing excessive amounts of emotion in public - their behaviour is "lagom".

On the other hand if you have managed to understand and have had it explained to you around 10000 times by Swedes who are so proud they have a word that has no direct English translation then you can slag them off???

Really? Can't say that any Swede has ever boasted to me about the word lagom nor have the tried to explain it to me!
+
Mo
post 18.Jan.2013, 02:01 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 9.Jan.2013, 05:49 PM) *
Perfect . Sufficient. Satisfied. Comfortable. Content. Just so. Never too much, nor too little. or just like the baby bears porridge wink.gif

smug
+
Kn33grow
post 19.Jan.2013, 02:01 AM
Post #27

Lagom means: i have no clue how much of something will be sufficient or deemed sufficient so im relying on your judgement and/or taste so we can all seem equal.
+
B1R1K1
post 19.Jan.2013, 01:33 PM
Post #28

I registered just to tell all of you off. All your philosophical interpretations and wishes are incorrect. Lagom means exactly, and nothing but, 'just enough'. That is the exact and only meaning of the word. It is not a philosophy of moderation, mediocrity or any of those things being claimed here. What is enough in any context is, of course, entirely subjective.
+
Paddytheswede
post 20.Jan.2013, 11:16 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Seamus Sean @ 5.Jan.2013, 08:47 PM) *
So if you don´t know the meaning of "Lagom" lay of bashing the Swedes? On the other hand if you have managed to understand and have had it explained to you around 1 ... (show full quote)

Of course I drink the Guiness over here. Even though the Irish are a bit strange to a Swede, I still manage to have a good time here.

And by the way, don't worry about the pinch of salt you put on an egg. It is the hidden salt in bread, cheese, ready made food etc etc you should worry about.
+
Paddytheswede
post 20.Jan.2013, 11:20 PM
Post #30

I saw someone say Lagom means mediocre. I think the Americans think it means average. That s not really correct. I would say "just about right" which can translate into "perfect" and "divine".

Of course it is subjective to you preference.
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town
Consulting & Productions

We are an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish authorities, Swedish language practice, and general communications.
Call 0731 004 781 or visit:
swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business. If you want to stop, we can help.
Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
aa-europe.org/sweden
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply