• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

God this place is boring!

My thoughts.

Hisingen
post 6.Jan.2013, 02:44 PM
Post #16

I have been here for over fifty years and am quite satisfied with life here. In my first year I got involved with a study organisation to learn Swedish, which led on to my being asked to teach English to adult evening groups. That I took, although being far from a qualified teacher. But you learn pretty fast from your mistakes, and you learn also ways of really making contact with your students. I taught for the same organisation for some thirty years, in Göteborg, Kungälv, then later in Tanumshede, Strömstad, Hamburgsund, Bullaren and Grebbestad. Most evenings of the week I was in one place or another., and some groups simply went on and on Believe me when I say Bohusläns folk are some of the most reserved folk you could ever meet, but over the years I made some very good friends, friends I still meet even though I retired to yet another place in Bohuslän.
We even made trips to the UK during course time, and our end-of-term parties had to be seen to be believed.
To get Swedes to open up takes time, and involves much effort on your own part. Nothing comes of its own. Teaching opened doors for me, with contacts that were like ripples on a lake. I was lucky perhaps, in that I was asked to teach at the right time, and was lucky enough to be in what was - for me - the right organisation. I also was fortunate in learning ways and means to make contact with the students and get a great feed-back from them. That was what I ,meant by making the effort. You have to truly give in order to receive, but it is worth it in the end.
Veni Vidi Vici. and it has been worth it.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 6.Jan.2013, 02:48 PM
Post #17

What you need to understand is that much of Swedish social life evolves around sports and hobbies, not the pub. Even more so in the sticks.
+
Hisingen
post 6.Jan.2013, 02:55 PM
Post #18

So very true, especially with the 'above-teeanger' group.
To that effect many socialize within their hobby groups, and that is where they achieve their own contacts. Mrs. Hisingen has become engaged in quilting, and that has provided her with extra group contacts, and as a Swede, she is still forming new friendships despite also being retired.
Hemslöjd, or handicraft - carpentry and woodwork - is a popular sideline, and many men find their companionship in these groups, and even cookery groups, too, provide a source of companionship over a cooked meal.
+
Somebody
post 6.Jan.2013, 02:57 PM
Post #19

To the OP
I am 100% with you. have been here a year now and
really.. it starts to annoy me.
This place is overganized, people are emotionless zombies, fika is just a fake
to make people know each other better and socialize but still...it does not work when you look around you.
Also all these questions wgich never end "how much", "how much"
I miss all the fun you can have in the UK or in Ireland.
You can slag people without thinking wheather this is offending or only sarcastic smile.gif

And you will not changed that. Even if you find some interesting people with temper and character
the majority will still be there saying that everything is "bra" all the time.
I am thinking of staying one more year and then get the f*ck out of here.
Life to short to live in boring enviroment.

This is just my opinion and I understand that many people might lovethe country.
I don't, not yet anyway.
Maybe If I spoke the language it would be better, but even this language is a kind puking noise
I will never be able to speak properly.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:16 PM
Post #20

What you left behind stays behind...it is very hard to adjust to a new environment/life...some never do.

I think the secret is to be be satisfied in your own mind first...entertain yourself mentally and then try to find it through interaction with others.

Be happy and satisfied within yourself...you can take that anywhere.
+
Somebody
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:21 PM
Post #21

are you doing Yoga? smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:31 PM
Post #22

No...but when I am alone and look in the mirror I can get along with the guy I see.

However...I have heard from my girlfriend, who teaches yoga...it will cure EVERYTHING! laugh.gif
+
trumanshow
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:32 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 6.Jan.2013, 03:16 PM) *
Be happy and satisfied within yourself...you can take that anywhere.

Absolutely. Living in Sweden should be seen as character building. you really have to look towards yourself and your resourcefulness. If you can make yourself happy in Sweden then you can take that anywhere. I have felt the same frustrations in the last 16 months living here and felt properly depressed...and haven't really been able to get help with that because the health service really aint all that. So I have had to put into practice what you can actually do - exercise, get out and about, keep trying even when you don't feel like it...or feel like sh*t the whole time. I think you have to give somewhere 3 years. Otherwise you risk moving on and doing the same somewhere else. This time last year I found it hard to move. Now I have got the right gear for winter running, some friends and acquaintances and some perspective. No pain, no gain.
+
Puffin
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:35 PM
Post #24

Swedes do not tend to have a lote of fake "pub friends" but when you get to know people well enough to be invited to a proper party or dinner where the alcohol really flows you will see people in a totallt different light when people are dancing on the tables/engaging in drunken musical chairs. But you need to make real friends for this as they tend to occur at invited events and not in the pub.

But I agree that many people make friends through hobbies
+
Somebody
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:43 PM
Post #25

Truman Show and Big Brother, that's how I would describe Sweden. rolleyes.gif
The thing is that I like to joke around and be among easy going people in everyday live.
That will never happen here and I already know that.

Why should I change myself and become a stiff Swede spending Friday nights in IKEA looking for REA sign.
and then standing in a queue patiently forever holding a Nordea card and an IKEA FAMILY card ready for inspection.
laugh.gif
That is defo not me.
It's a little bit like staying with somebody you do not really love.
Cheating yourself is the worst thing you can ever do.
+
Svensksmith
post 6.Jan.2013, 03:51 PM
Post #26

Each place has it's good and bad points. It's up to you to find the good in the situation that you are in.

Truth be told, Sweden can be pretty boring, especially in the winter when it is so dark and gloomy. However, some might call it peaceful. I really enjoyed long walks along the beach in the winter when there were no crowds. Just me and the dog...probably was breaking some rule there, but no one was around to complain. Sometimes, though, going to the pub for a few pints and laughs can be good therapy. However, you aren't going to find that as easy to do in the Swedish country side. There just isn't the pub culture that you would find in the UK or US or where ever you are from. Maybe you could round up a couple of buddies and arrange for a Friday night beer bash once a month.

Once spring comes around, your spirits will lift, I bet. Good luck!
+
Puffin
post 6.Jan.2013, 05:45 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Somebody @ 6.Jan.2013, 03:43 PM) *
Truman Show and Big Brother, that's how I would describe Sweden. The thing is that I like to joke around and be among easy going people in everyday live.That will never h ... (show full quote)

You see I know a lot of people who joke around and like to party and have fun - but the truth is that it took a couple of years to make these types of friendships - it took a while though for me to get to grips with the language - people tend to be a lot more formal in their high school English than when you can speak theirs
+
Children Of Adam
post 6.Jan.2013, 08:29 PM
Post #28

At my work place I spent two years and during our coffee break nobody has started to talk to me.
In general, at work places swedes do not feel so confortable with foreigners. First reasons all these negative news about all types of foreigners, second is because Sweden has very dark and long cold days, it freeze all humans like a Imported " freeze chickens" that is why foreigners who spend long time they turn like swedes. in short, I blame the weather and news and some stupid action of foreigners.
+
ingeling
post 6.Jan.2013, 10:10 PM
Post #29

I'm not being ironic here but I believe that the key to living in Sweden and being happy( and I mean that in the wider sense of the word like" not depressed" )is to learn to have fun/entertain yourself on your own just like a couple of replies have suggested. Yes you can join an innebandy team, start some evening course or take up some time consuming garage hobby, but in the end you'll feel kind of lonely and it's that "isolation of the soul" one has to learn to tackle if you want to live in Sweden.
If it's good enough for you socialize through these synthetic forms of human interaction,and you're prepared to learn to keep your true feelings and responses under wrap and "adapt" , then you;ll be fine. If you NEED other people and see human interaction as one of those things that makes life worth living, don't stay in Sweden thinking that things will change, thinking that if you only learn Swedish or become more out-going etc, life will become more normal ,

There's nothing wrong with YOU. It's the Swedish ways and they aren't likely to change for a good while. As someone else suggested in this thread, move somewhere where your needs as a social being can get met. Good luck!
+
irishpaddy
post 6.Jan.2013, 10:16 PM
Post #30

Hey we are not here to enjoy ourselves. Yeah most of what you say is true . but there is a lot less backstabbing talk behind your back . you can be just who you want to be . Four great seasons .Fika .and Blocket . ha ha enjoy and good luck .
+

25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN