• Sweden's news in English

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

God this place is boring!

My thoughts.

Yorkshireman
post 7.Jan.2013, 12:10 AM
Post #31

QUOTE (Children Of Adam @ 6.Jan.2013, 08:29 PM) *
At my work place I spent two years and during our coffee break nobody has started to talk to me. . In general, at work places swedes do not feel so confortable with foreigners.

It depends which language You are talking? If You try to talk in English, or expect them to talk English, then it does take a while to break the ice! ... Many Swedish I have come across are initially very embarrassed to speak English, especially at work ...they don't like to feel a fool by saying something that isn't correct.

Why not just ask them to talk and let You practise Your Swedish with them wink.gif ...then they will start to open up as they are doing a good deed, and you can feel the fool whilst they laugh when something inappropriate is said! biggrin.gif Works with the ladies too, if You pick Your phrases correctly (or should I say deliberately incorrectly) biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
beefbroff
post 7.Jan.2013, 12:52 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (irishpaddy @ 6.Jan.2013, 10:16 PM) *
Hey we are not here to enjoy ourselves. Yeah most of what you say is true . but there is a lot less backstabbing talk behind your back . you can be just who you want to be . F ... (show full quote)

Ha ha, like your positive approach.
+
vicky7
post 7.Jan.2013, 10:02 AM
Post #33

As I understand it, it's part of Swedish culture to respect other people's privacy. That's why it's unlikely someone will help you if you fall down on the street or no gratitude from old people if you give your seat. Seems ok. I do appreciate the lack of small talk since Americans are masters at talking about nothing.

Apparently 25% of old people die alone in sweden. So do not be surprised if you end up dying alone of old age in some apartment and just lying there for months before somebody notices, this is not uncommon in Sweden I'm told.
+
Pursuivant
post 7.Jan.2013, 10:52 AM
Post #34

OK, so beefbroff, are you living in some rural village which has been inbred for centuries? Try move in England to the Fens or someplace you won't get a time of day from the "locals". Not much difference there.

Besides which "boring" is good. The less you read of a place in newspapers the less it has crime, disasters and such...

I did have a snigger though. I moved to the UK, and in my office we even don't have the luxury of coffee breaks. OK so you get some people talking to you, but they're more vacuous gossips than actually interested in you.

Nobody ever asks questions about me, my life, my past or what am I doing here etc etc.

Ha! In Finland foreigners complain of "racism" because the questions: Who are you? Where are you from? What are you doing here? - so these days they don't ask even that. I guess the Swedes learned to ask those questions a long time ago.

Oh well, each to their own, but this comment I found funny:

At my work place I spent two years and during our coffee break nobody has started to talk to me.In general, at work places swedes do not feel so confortable with foreigners. First reasons all these negative news about all types of foreigners, second is because Sweden has very dark and long cold days, it freeze all humans like a Imported " freeze chickens" that is why foreigners who spend long time they turn like swedes. in short, I blame the weather and news and some stupid action of foreigners.

Try moving to Finland, Swedes are there known as irritating babblemouths. wink.gif
+
Hisingen
post 7.Jan.2013, 11:01 AM
Post #35

Well, at a guess, those who find it boring here are very boring people in themselves. The one is often brought about by the other. tongue.gif
+
Yorkshireman
post 7.Jan.2013, 02:14 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (beefbroff @ 6.Jan.2013, 02:06 AM) *
I miss banter, I miss being spontaneous, I miss open minded people.

I won't be one of those that says, You chose to come here wink.gif ...I will be one that says ...Obviously the strength of your connections, open mindedness, excitment, enjoyment etc... where You came From was not strong enough to keep You there? or is it actually Your relationship and/or Job that is the root of your frustration that You target at Sweden and those that live here? blink.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Jan.2013, 05:25 PM
Post #37

There is also the idea...that, the more words you speak...they become less important.
+
Hisingen
post 7.Jan.2013, 05:29 PM
Post #38

Especially when whining. rolleyes.gif
+
beefbroff
post 8.Jan.2013, 01:02 AM
Post #39

Nice to see the neutral comments where people say, 'Yeah, actually you're right but you have to learn to live with it'.
On the other hand It's quite amusing to see all those who get high and mighty because someone dared to speak out against their beloved Sweden. Ok it may appear like I am criticizing the place, but I am just saying how it is and how I see it, and it appears that I am not alone. Just Google 'Boring Sweden' and there's quite a lot of pages on the subject. Oh wow what's this, somebody has even written a whole blog on 'Boring Sweden' Ha ha.
That's another thing I note in this place is that nobody has a sense of humor, and thankfully I am not the only one who thinks the same.
And yet another thing here is that people think the sun shines out of its ass, and dare one say something negative about it then people look at you as if they want to kill you. I am from England but I know its bad sides and can happily sit and talk about how crappy it is for hours. I lived in Germany for 5 years and the Germans are also happy to talk about both the good and bad sides of the country, and I got on fine there.
The only thing people complain about here are the immigrants.
Ok, I am probably rubbing a few of you up the wrong way now but I am just being honest about my experiences .
Why did I come here then? Well I lilke new challenges you see. Yes maybe I was naive to do so, although I thought that after some time I would understand more of the culture and be able to fit in. Yes looks like maybe I am wrong. 'Move then' I hear some of you crying. Well that could be an option.
I don't hate it here, I am just being observant.
+
oddsock
post 8.Jan.2013, 01:11 AM
Post #40

Just arrived back in Sweden today. Got on the train at the airport. Lady sitting her legs diagonally as to block all four seats that surrounded her. There was nowhere else for me to sit. She gave me the that sour "fuck off" look I have so missed for the last two weeks and returned to playing with her iPhone. I sat down in the seat anyway. I ain't taking this shit anymore.

Respecting privacy doesn't mean denying other people exist, not helping other people, etc.

'Move then' I hear some of you crying. Well that could be an option.
I don't hate it here, I am just being observant.

Good for you. Don't worry about the others giving you a hard time, they all have huge mortgages so they have to rationalise the prospect of possibly staying 30 years in Sweden.
+
Travel King
post 8.Jan.2013, 07:34 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (Kegzmc @ 6.Jan.2013, 07:37 AM) *
When queuing in your local store have you tried whipping your cock out and whipping your balls off the counter?. This is a sure attention winner and will definitely make you friends

hahahahahahahahahahaha That was a perfect line. Very funny...
+
Travel King
post 8.Jan.2013, 07:36 AM
Post #42

I am planning a visit to Stockholm, Are and Oslo in Feb-Mar. When I read this I was somewhat sad. The last thing I want to do is go snowboarding and be bored all the time I'm off the mountain. I'm not an old dude and I think my conversational skills are pretty good so I think I will be alright with hanging out with local people. I hope lol.

If anyone has any tips or advice to help me enjoy the most of my trip please let me know.

Attached Image

+
MetalforLife
post 8.Jan.2013, 09:21 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (beefbroff @ 6.Jan.2013, 01:06 AM) *
I have been here for over a year now and still can't quite adjust to how boring it is. I find people really difficult to converse with, be it in my native English or the S ... (show full quote)

Its the way it is, swedens people are almost non human, they are like robots, silent, emotionless and cold, you either have to get used to it or get out of this robot country if you want to experience what a real human is.
+
MetalforLife
post 8.Jan.2013, 09:23 AM
Post #44

QUOTE (Boar @ 6.Jan.2013, 09:12 AM) *
Doesn't matter you lived one year or twenty years. You successfully organized a party. Isn't that enough? And, you have a sambo. Why do you think it is boring here in ... (show full quote)

¨
no, YOU shut up! he is just stating the fact that swedens people are like robots and lack the basic features of a human being.
+
Pursuivant
post 8.Jan.2013, 10:52 AM
Post #45

What if Swedish people are acting like human beings, and you are acting like a retarded monkey on acid?
+

25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
psdmedia.se
The Local Spain is hiring!
The Local is seeking a new editor for our site in Spain to join our growing team of internationally-minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
Details and how to apply
Counselling and Psychotherapy in English
Sometimes living in another culture can cause stress, confusion and feelings of sadness and loneliness. Talking to a professional psychotherapist/counsellor might help you. I am a UKCP Reg. psychotherapist. My practice is in Södermalm, Stockholm.
Contact me to discuss your options