• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

I wanna start my new life at Stockholm.

Is that possible to survive?

dirudiru
post 11.Jan.2013, 08:10 AM
Post #1

hello everyone.

im a local asian young guy from Hong Kong. 23 years old
recently i'm interested to come to stockholm to start a new life experience.
i been a full time worker for past 6 years.i have no university degrees.
fending myself with a job. i am a british nationality passport holder
so i don't need work permit and have the free movements right in sweden. But now,

so you might see me as a are-migrator.
my problem is

1. i can only speak in english , cantonese and mandarin. i don't know swedish language.
i know sweden have the SFI for free learning. but for the jobs market,
do i still got the chances ? as i see many times at X-pat job or some website here.
i can not find that has any easy jobs for beginner or new migrator . i'm afriad i can not find a job.
like starstuck or expresso house , coffee , hotel cleaner or any. will they hire a migrator as well ?

2. will asian got racial discrimination at stockholm ? im open minded.

thanks a lot.
please kindly reply.
Go to the top of the page
+
johnjohn
post 11.Jan.2013, 10:15 AM
Post #2

You will not be eligible for SFI until you get a person number. You will not get a person number without a job or enough money to support yourself and you must purchase comprehensive health insurance. You will find it nearly impossible to find a job. If you plan on coming bring enough money to support yourself for at least one year as without good luck it will take that long to find any job. Best wishes.
+
johnjohn
post 11.Jan.2013, 10:41 AM
Post #3

I think your chances of success would be much, much higher in the U.K.
+
dirudiru
post 11.Jan.2013, 11:26 AM
Post #4

hi john ,

i only have enough money for around 3-4 months to stay...as i know swedish speak english beautifully.
and do i need to buy health insurance ? does it expensive ?

...is that really hard or brutal for a job with decent contract ?
but in the UK have much black people as i know..
and very high unemployment rate... you think it really is ? sorry if i ask too much.

thanks.
+
Pursuivant
post 11.Jan.2013, 11:28 AM
Post #5

I would suggest, you make a plan.
1. Come to UK, find a job, save money, maybe even find and go on a Swedish course.
- Its much easier to get a cheap flight to Sweden and visit.
- You can meet Swedes in London, get some language.
2. Start looking into Studying in Sweden. In Nordics generally education is appreciated, and everyone has some paper, as education is "free". Not so free in Sweden any more, but still...
In Finland if you would go ask for unemployment money, they would say - lazy boy, go study. Under 25 without a degree or vocation get this advice.
- Studying in Sweden gets you employable and also gets you a network - whatever you do study its better than nothing. With your languages, business or engineering combined, better chances.
3. If you don't cut it, then also you have the UK to fall back upon.

Make a 5-year plan. Good things come to those who are patient and persevere.
+
dirudiru
post 11.Jan.2013, 12:09 PM
Post #6

i am not a lazy boy..
uni is too expensive here , my family doesnt have that much to sustain me.
i don't wanna to be someone burden either.

so yes as i know sweden had free education.
+
Pursuivant
post 11.Jan.2013, 12:26 PM
Post #7

i am not a lazy boy..
uni is too expensive here ,

Exactly. So, study in the Nordics. But as you said you have no money, so you need some savings. Also you need a health insurance. All reasons for looking at UK first, to establish a base. Its easier than trying to organize from HongKong?
look at:
www.studyinsweden.se
www.admissions.fi (a few Swedish language schools and degrees in English like www.arcada.fi)
+
PDX
post 11.Jan.2013, 12:58 PM
Post #8

You can easily learn fluent Swedish in 4 months if you are sufficiently motivated. Once you're there, it will be easy to get a job. Start here:

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Swedish

~~~PDX~~~
+
joe5451
post 11.Jan.2013, 01:20 PM
Post #9

I would think twice about coming to Sweden if I was you. Without an education and Swedish language skills then you will find it very hard to get a job here. Also, to be brutally honest, your english is not great either so it will be even harder for you than a native speaker.
+
Mib
post 11.Jan.2013, 01:42 PM
Post #10

My recommendation is to do your planning before taking that big step moving to Sweden. You have a really good advantage being able to speak Mandarin and there will be Swedish comapnies trading and manufacturing in China etc. So, I would do some research and find out who in Sweden is working with Chinese businesses and then approach them directly to offer yourself as a negotiator, translator, sales/buyer etc. Maybe you don't want to do that as a career, but it will get you a job, money and buy you time to learn Swedish. Then you can decide how you want to progress in your career, build networks via clubs, friends expat organisations etc. Netowkring in Sweden is normally the key if you dont have that unique...in demand skill that Swedish companies need.
+
JulieLou40
post 11.Jan.2013, 01:54 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (dirudiru @ 11.Jan.2013, 12:09 PM) *
so yes as i know sweden had free education.

But it's now only free for students from within the EU.

QUOTE (joe5451 @ 11.Jan.2013, 01:20 PM) *
I would think twice about coming to Sweden if I was you. Without an education and Swedish language skills then you will find it very hard to get a job here. Also, to be brutal ... (show full quote)

I concur. The OP's English skills are, to be honest, much worse than any Swede I've ever met (and before the OP starts, well I'm English so I think I'm able to say that). So he's not only going to be at a disadvantage as a foreigner, he will be at a double disadvantage, because he is behind the Swedes in 2 languages.

Edited to add: Same day join and post along the usual lines, people. take from that what you will.
+
johnjohn
post 11.Jan.2013, 02:20 PM
Post #12

You have enough money for a few months at best. You therefore cannot get a personnumber without a job contract. Without a person number you cannot rent an apartment or really do anything. You will most likely have to stay in a hotel. Youth unemployment is at 20%. Government job programs pay up to 85% of Swedish job seekers pay making you 6 times mor expensive to employ. You do not qualify for SFI or free schooling. Unless you get a job somehow before coning you will spend your savings long before getting a job. There is no demand for unskilled labor. Any dishwasher type job will have 100 applicants more qualified, speak Swedish and much cheaper to employ than you.
+
dirudiru
post 11.Jan.2013, 03:21 PM
Post #13

thanks john.

actually i'm not that bad. i'm still a sales manager in my land.
but if i going to another places , i already have a mindset for fail.
but if i'm not even qualify for SFI or related pre-condition.

i will become truely useless there...
+
johnjohn
post 11.Jan.2013, 03:33 PM
Post #14

Once again, why not the U.K. as it would be much easier.
+
dirudiru
post 11.Jan.2013, 03:52 PM
Post #15

i saw some news here about arabs and some middle east countries in sweden and nothing to do at malmo.
they burn police cars and more subversive actions.
so i was wondering if religious fanaticism middle east peoples can survive.

sowhy can't i
im more useful than that. i have more work experience than much flesh graduate teen.
i should deserve some chances for beginning.

but brutally,

if there has no foothold for me to develop up gradually.
than maybe i have to change my mind.
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se