• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Just moved to Luleå - Questions!

A few?s about life in Lulea

nakedkatze
post 14.Jan.2013, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Hi there,

I am a native Texan expat and have just moved to Luleå from Bavaria, Germany. I am already experienced in living my life abroad. I will be here for 3-6 months.

I just have a few questions, if you would be so kind as to help me out.

Where can I find fresh raw poultry? Ideally a butcher of something of the sort.
I have brought my cat who is accustomed to eating prey model raw diet for special health needs, so I need chicken, turkey, goose, duck, or other bird meat, bones, and organs. Preferably bird thighs, hearts, stomachs, livers. Necks and backs would be nice too.
The point is, just breast is not enough.

It has already been discussed at length here and elsewhere that even though I have a work permit and all necessary paperwork in order to find a job, one will not be available to me because I don't speak swedish.
SO, what about taking classes?
I began learning German in Germany and I would like to continue taking courses in person if possible. I wouldn't be opposed to learning swedish either, or other interesting vocational classes. I graduated from university with a degree in psychology already, but I am interested in many other subjects including humanities, computer science, business, information technology, literature, art, and writing.

My husband is away at work all day, what other kinds of activities could I engage in during the day outside the home?
I am a bright, mid twenties American woman with a wide range of skills, some athletic ability, and an outgoing personality who is fairly bored. I have a number of hobbies to play with at home but I crave human interaction. What can I do? How can I make friends?

Any other advice or suggestions about adapting to this new life in Sweden would be great appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Go to the top of the page
+
unt9
post 14.Jan.2013, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Hi, You could try to sign up for SFI, its swedish for immigrants, for free. Also, there might be some other courses like ceramics, just check what they have at Lulea. For active people there are usualy many sports options in Sweden and in North you probably will get a lot of winterspors. Just check around.
+
Migga
post 14.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (nakedkatze @ 14.Jan.2013, 01:55 PM) *
My husband is away at work all day, what other kinds of activities could I engage in during the day outside the home?I am a bright, mid twenties American woman with a wide ran ... (show full quote)

Well let`s see, you are in Luleå so that means you can do this;
Dog sledding
Downhill skiing
Cross-country skiing
Icehockey
Iceskating
Sports
Motor sports
Snowmobile driving
Rock climbing
Hiking
Mountaineering
Camping
Animal watching
Berry picking
Mushroom picking
Fishing
Rafting
Paddle canoe

Talking about canoes, did you know that drinking american beer is like having sex in a canoe. It`s fu*king close to water.
+
nakedkatze
post 14.Jan.2013, 03:08 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (unt9 @ 14.Jan.2013, 02:13 PM) *
Hi, You could try to sign up for SFI, its swedish for immigrants, for free. Also, there might be some other courses like ceramics, just check what they have at Lulea. For acti ... (show full quote)

Thank you very much. I have seen the SFI and I am interested in that. I saw that it was free for Swedish Nationals, but I'm not sure if I am that, exactly. I pick up all my paperwork on Thursday. I will only be here for 3-6 months so I'm not sure if that makes me a national or not.
As for "check what they have at Lulea," where do you suggest I check?

QUOTE (Migga @ 14.Jan.2013, 02:45 PM) *
Well let`s see, you are in Luleå so that means you can do this;Dog sleddingDownhill skiing Cross-country skiingIcehockeyIceskatingSportsMotor sportsSnowmobile drivingRock ... (show full quote)

Thank you! I am interested in quite a number of those things, although I think that some of those things may not be available in the winter time. Are there groups or some other way to do those things with other people? I am not really interested in doing them alone.
+
nakedkatze
post 14.Jan.2013, 03:17 PM
Post #5

Oh I forgot one thing:

Can someone recommend a craft store? I spend my alone time largely knitting, cross stitching, sewing, painting, and the like. I need to buy more supplies.

Before someone says something, yes I have googled these questions but frequently the results are in swedish and I can't make much sense of them, even with Google Chrome's translate feature.
+
PDX
post 14.Jan.2013, 03:55 PM
Post #6

For craft supplies, visit Skapa Glädja at Storgatan 44 ( http://skapagladje.nu ). As far as the language learning goes, you can start right away with FSI - if it was good enough for the CIA, it should work for you:

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Swedish

Acually, the FSI material is really solid. Their emphasis was on getting people fluent in speaking so it should serve you well.

~~~PDX~~~
+
unt9
post 14.Jan.2013, 07:12 PM
Post #7

***As for "check what they have at Lulea," where do you suggest I check?***

I would check on Internet smile.gif
+
nakedkatze
post 15.Jan.2013, 08:55 PM
Post #8

Well yes, naturally.

May I reiterate that "I have googled these questions but frequently the results are in swedish and I can't make much sense of them, even with Google Chrome's translate feature."
+
skogsbo
post 15.Jan.2013, 09:02 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (nakedkatze @ 14.Jan.2013, 01:55 PM) *
My husband is away at work all day, what other kinds of activities could I engage in during the day outside the home?I am a bright, mid twenties American woman with a wide ran ... (show full quote)

If you read what you wrote here, and consider your screen name, I'm suprised you haven't been bombarded with offers from guys offering to help occupy your spare time. Or am I reading too much between the lines?
+
John.Smith
post 16.Jan.2013, 01:05 PM
Post #10

If you check on Facebook, you will see a group there called "English Speakers in Luleå" (or something similar).
Those guys meet up very regularly and are a mix of Americans, UK, Irish, NZ etc etc.. I reckon they would be the right folks to talk with. Probably some of the posters here are part of that group as well?

//J:S:
+
nakedkatze
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:06 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 15.Jan.2013, 09:02 PM) *
If you read what you wrote here, and consider your screen name, I'm suprised you haven't been bombarded with offers from guys offering to help occupy your spare time. ... (show full quote)

You might be. My username is a reference to the fact that I brought my hairless Sphinx cat with me, which is called näkte katze in German, where we just moved from. I am not looking for male companionship.

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 16.Jan.2013, 01:05 PM) *
If you check on Facebook, you will see a group there called "English Speakers in Luleå" (or something similar).Those guys meet up very regularly and are a mix of Am ... (show full quote)

Thank you for the help John. I would love to be a part of that group. Unfortunately I just searched all groups on Facebook visible to me that include the word "Luleå" and none were as you described. :/ A google searched turned up an "interest" in English Speakers in Lulea but with only 2 "likes."
Could you link please?
+
John.Smith
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:16 PM
Post #12

Sorry I am working off a mobile device and FB mobile version will not allow me to select the link. The group is called 'English Speakers in Luleå' and has 126 members. It is an open group so I think you can join without invitation.

I did a simple search for both Luleå and Lulea and the group shows up first hit. it maybe that your FB network is set to either USA or Germany and thus you cannot see it??

Attached Image

+
John.Smith
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:18 PM
Post #13

I did a google search and maybe this link works?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...41018144,d.Yms
+
nakedkatze
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:33 PM
Post #14

Yeah the link just goes to the "interest" page I mentioned that has 2 "likes." Try as I might I cannot find that group no matter what I search on facebook or google. I have my current city set as Luleå so I don't know what else I could do to set my facebook to sweden?
+
nakedkatze
post 16.Jan.2013, 03:44 PM
Post #15

I will continue to try and find the group on my own, somehow.

If you could please link the group when you get to your computer I would very much appreciate it!
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

jobs available
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com