• Sweden edition

The comments below have not been moderated in advance and are not produced by The Local unless clearly stated.
Readers are responsible for the content of their own comments. Comments that breach our terms and conditions will be removed.
  Reply to this topic

UK TV feedback wanted

Has anybody tried this?

bwilmot
post 18.Jan.2013, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Just seen a new TV service advertised on twitter coming from the US it uses a set-top box and a subscition to get UK TV channels and includes a PVR http://www.uktveverywhere.com

It looks pretty good despite the really rubbish webpage but does it really work to an acceptable level - has anybody else got one yet?

I am currently using a PC with VPN and then using IPlayer, 4OD etc via the web browser - looking for something a bit less clunky to operate
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 18.Jan.2013, 10:00 AM
Post #2

Personally I wouldn't trust it.
I have tried slingboxes etc in the past, and its been patchy.

Best option is a iPad and an Apple TV, and use the pad (or iPhone) to sling it over (like a remote control)
+
Gordy
post 18.Jan.2013, 10:32 AM
Post #3

US$25-$30 a month is a bit stiff! They are probably only reselling filmon streams any way with some sort of a set top box to deliver them.

Filmon would be a cheaper solution.

Have you looked at installing Media Portal or XBMC on your PC to organise all your channels into one interface?

XBMC is easier to set up but isn't so good for live TV but it does have a Filmon plugin, Media portal is better but is a steep learning curve. If you get it set up right you will have a full 7 day programme guide and can do things like recording with "series link" etc.

I haven't got anything organised myself yet but I am looking at building a HTPC with DVB-T and maybe DVB.S (depending on what happens with Astra) cards so that I can have all Swedish and UK TV in one channel line up.
+
oddsock
post 18.Jan.2013, 12:53 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (bwilmot @ 18.Jan.2013, 09:27 AM) *
I am currently using a PC with VPN and then using IPlayer, 4OD etc via the web browser - looking for something a bit less clunky to operate

This really is the best method for picture quality. Sure, you don't get to "channel surf", but that's worth the tradeoff I think.

I know people with slingboxes and the quality is not very good, because it is limited by a bottleneck of the upload speed at the source. And because it takes a digital tv image in as analogue through the scart, and compresses it again. Like doing a photocopy of a photocopy. With iPlayer you get the stream straight from the BBC.
+
Mib
post 18.Jan.2013, 01:58 PM
Post #5

I follow Lord Sugar on Twitter and he has tweeted about this service 2 times from what I've seen. So it seems legitamate in terms of a provider...probably on shakey ground legally transmitting UK TV abroad. However, I subscribe to StrongVPN and connect to BBC iPLayer, 4oD etc and they work very well for me. The quality via iPlayer is normally very good. If you're really into your UK TV, then maybe this service will be what you want.
+
Hede
post 18.Jan.2013, 10:15 PM
Post #6

I have used FilmOn app on the iphone and iPad , you can watch some of the channels live . but I can watch of download anything on the Iplayer anymore sad.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions
Swedish Down Town Consulting & Productions is an innovative business company which provides valuable assistance with the Swedish Authorities, Swedish language practice and general communications. Call 073-100 47 81 or visit:
www.swedishdowntown.com
If you want to drink, that’s your business.
If you want to stop, we can help.

Learn more about English-language Alcoholics Anonymous in Sweden. No dues. No fees. Confidentiality assured.
AA-EUROPE.ORG/SWEDEN
PSD Media
PSD Media is marketing company that offers innovative solutions for online retailers. We provide modern solutions that help increase traffic and raise conversion. Visit our site at:
http://psdmedia.se